SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what functional old silicon gizmos do you have laying about?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what functional old silicon gizmos do you have laying about? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted
Got to cleaning out a few drawers, came across a "Texas Instruments 1750" from 1977
still working. [http://www.datamath.org/BASIC/LCD_Classic/TI-1750.htm]

Also a Sanyo CX2570 solar powered model ready for action.

Both about the size of a playing card, and about 3/8" thick.

I did have a sad little drawer harboring a wad of otherwise inert and deceased Pioneers of the Silicon Age that brought such joy a few mere decades ago. I was able to offload them at long last during a recent dump run.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Sinclair ZX 81 computer complete with 4K memory module.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I have a very early Canon SLR (digital rebel) that had a mirror come loose. It also needs to be cleaned. It is 10 or 12 mega pixel. Canon wouldn't service it and sold me a refurbished upgrade model for very reasonable price.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sony Clie 665. ( Palm pilot)

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Original Gameboy. A Palm Pilot. Analog cell phones. Tabletop Donkeykong Jr.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
An ancient KMC 100B (Kmart) solar powered calculator...I think it was purchased well over 30+ years ago...it still works as good as new Cool

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tandy Color Computer. It was the wife's. I'm not real sure why we still have it.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My series of palm pilots still work....given to the boy who loves them. (5 year old)
Various cell phones of the wife (Mine are all destroyed or lost)...given to the boy who talks on them constantly to imaginary friends unknown.
Old laptop....boy (He types away feverishly). Funny story with this one, last week my computer started acting weird and randomly typing gibberish. I discovered that he had inserted batteries into a discarded keyboard, and was happily typing away in the other room while staring at the blank TV. I'm ashamed to admit that I restarted my computer several times and did virus searches before discovering the real problem. Big Grin

My daughter (13) is starting her own collection of perfectly good calculators. I love how every single new grade requires a new calculator. She is going into 8th grade and already owns 5. I still have my old TI85 (high school) and a more recent Ti84 (college). They both work great, and were both sent home with my daughter when I tried to get her teachers to allow them instead of the recommended ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I still have my old TI85 (high school) and a more recent Ti84 (college). They both work great, and were both sent home with my daughter when I tried to get her teachers to allow them instead of the recommended ones.

What?!?!
The TI-84+ is still widely used in HS and college. It's the #1 Best Seller in graphing calculators on Amazon.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
An HP 35. And a Sinclair Scientific calculator kit (unopened package).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Have an 8088, 286, and 386 chip. Was thinking about mounting them into a frame.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
IBM PS/1 486 processor. Little tank, I've though about pitching it but what a little beast. It had the best keyboard and mouse I've ever owned.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Have an 8088, 286, and 386 chip. Was thinking about mounting them into a frame.

I have a wafer of naked silicon chips mounted for display in a nice walnut frame. I got it as a present from IBM (who fabricated that wafer) when we completed the design of that chip at Qualcomm. I hadn't thought about it in years. I ought to hang it on the wall – thanks for the remainder!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atari 800 PC, with floppy drive and games.

Original IBM PC with dual floppy. Added a 30MB hard drive later for over $300. Thought I was state of the art (actually, I was in 1982).

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
I still have my old TI85 (high school) and a more recent Ti84 (college). They both work great, and were both sent home with my daughter when I tried to get her teachers to allow them instead of the recommended ones.

What?!?!
The TI-84+ is still widely used in HS and college. It's the #1 Best Seller in graphing calculators on Amazon.

Her grade school and middle school teachers all said she could use it, but they would not spend any time teaching her how to use it. Each year, they have a certain model that matches their overhead/example model...and they teach specifically how to use that. It is HIGHLY recommended. I believe by high school she'll have used enough different models that she should be able to use anything. Until then....I honestly think more pressure should be put on the teachers to utilize the same calculators.

None of the required models have ever been as nice or as expensive as the Ti84.... one teacher told us they used a certain model (I don't remember which) because it was widely available for under $10, and even at that price point she had to keep half a dozen of them for the students whose parents couldn't/wouldn't buy one.

I remember when I was in middle school my step-father refused to buy the recommended calculator for my class and sent me with an HP45. I was completely lost. I barely passed the class with a low C. It was traumatizing enough that I swore I'd never do that to my kids.

**edit, looking at pictures, it may have been a HP17B. I sort of remember it having the display like the HP45 though. It was reverse polish notation, like the 12C. I never did figure out how to do anything other than basic math on it. My teacher couldn't even figure out that much.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've got an old Sanyo 4-function calculator with red LED lights bought in the 1970s--I'm sure it would still work if it had new batteries, because it was built like a tank in a metal case. I've also got a TI "luggable" computer I bought in the 1980s and used into the 1990s; I stopped using it when the Y2K issue came along because I wasn't sure what would happen to it. I've not tried booting it up, but they were very solidly built, too, and it would probably try to function. I have an old Sony Trinitron® color TV set--I can't use it because it requires the old TV signals, but it was working when I last tried it in the 1990s. And I've got several fairly old TI calculators around that are still functional.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
I still have a Ditial Equipment Corporation PDP-11/24... does that count?

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:

Wow, what in the world do you do with the DEC-11?

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MaSigchist
posted Hide Post
Hewlett-Packard 9100A - (1968) first programmable "deskside" calculator - with flatbed plotter and printer.

-Scott

SPDTool LLC - Pocket Sized Field Armorer Tools
http://www.spdtool.com

-Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
-Certified Smith & Wesson M&P Armorer
-NRA Pistol Instructor
-NRA Shotgun Instructor
-NRA Range Safety Officer
-NRA Metallic cartridge & Shotgun Reloading Instructor
-MA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 908 | Location: Greenfield, MA USA | Registered: May 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:

Wow, what in the world do you do with the DEC-11?
NOTHING anymore, for sure. It's in a closet, so I don't even dust it.

Back in the day, when I ran a consulting business developing PDP-11 operating system software (IAS, RSX-11M, etc), it was my pride and joy.

Silly, but to this day I can't bear to part with it. I have an irrational affection for the damn thing, even though it's more than a little obsolete (and I don't think I could even boot it).

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post