SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what functional old silicon gizmos do you have laying about?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what functional old silicon gizmos do you have laying about? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
IBM PS/1 486 processor. Little tank, I've though about pitching it but what a little beast. It had the best keyboard and mouse I've ever owned.

I think there are adapters that would let you use those on newer machines, if you ever do retire the box itself.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of old Commodore 64's in a box in the garage, and a 30 year old HP32 scientific calculator. It's my go-to calculator - after using it for so long, I can't go back to algebraic.

Oh, a couple of years ago I got my family's old Atari 2600 from about 1981. I fired it up and played Asteroids, and my kids were *not* impressed.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
256Mb thumb drive

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I've got a couple of old Commodore 64's in a box in the garage, and a 30 year old HP32 scientific calculator. It's my go-to calculator - after using it for so long, I can't go back to algebraic.

Oh, a couple of years ago I got my family's old Atari 2600 from about 1981. I fired it up and played Asteroids, and my kids were *not* impressed.
So, take away all their electronic toys, unplug the TV and computer, and tell them to play board games and go outside for a week--let them know what it was like in your childhood. They might then realize what a revelation it was to have the Atari back then.

flashguy (and yes, I grew up before there was TV)

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Apple II, 1979; Original Macintosh, 1984

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I have a Palm T/X laying around somewhere in my office. Played A LOT of solitaire on that sumbitch.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We recently unearthed my wife's 386SX Compu-add lap top. It replaced our desk top that had the upgraded memory 1 Meg of RAM. 'More than we could ever need' or so we told.

We ate ramin noodles and liver burgers to afford the 100 bucks a calculator cost in 1973 we attended grad school. Sigh.

We thought our web-tv and dial up was great when we found out about the internet.

O the times they are a changin'.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post