SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two snakes had a lunch date on my porch (Warning, snake pict)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two snakes had a lunch date on my porch (Warning, snake pict) Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
I guess they didn't hit it off very well.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a little cottonmouth was on the menu for mr Kingsnake.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
That's crazy.

I guess this is a size beats venom thing?

Someone help me understand, or are both venomous?

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Speckled King - those things are hell on the venemous snakes.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
That's crazy.

HK Ag

King snakes and black snakes feed on other snakes, including venomous ones. They are not harmful/dangerous to humans. I have "captured" a number of them by hand so I could move them to safer areas. We like them around the home place because they help keep down vermin and venomous snakes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
A "good" snake. Hope you let him on his way.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3597 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
He's sure got a big snakie tongue... Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
King snakes and bull snakes are your friends... Smile

But ....I still jump whenever I see one...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Looks like a little cottonmouth was on the menu for mr Kingsnake.

I hadn't given any thought of a cottonmouth, but I think you're right. If so, it's a little concerning because this "lunch date" was within a foot of my back door. We have a small lake about 4-500 hundred yards up the hill and a drainage ditch about a 100 yds in back but I've never worried about anything except the occasional copperhead.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
A "good" snake. Hope you let him on his way.

Fear not. I even brought the dog in so he could finish his meal in peace Cool

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
That's crazy.

HK Ag

King snakes and black snakes feed on other snakes, including venomous ones. They are not harmful/dangerous to humans. I have "captured" a number of them by hand so I could move them to safer areas. We like them around the home place because they help keep down vermin and venomous snakes.

I had a speckled king snake as a pet for several years as a kid (from a reptile and exotic pet store, not caught in the wild). It was an interesting pet. It was calm, didn't mind being handled, and never tried to bite me. Feeding was exciting, once a week I'd dangle a freshly-dead mouse in the cage by its tail and give it a little jiggle and the snake would strike it hard and slurp it right down.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:
That's crazy.

HK Ag

I had a speckled king snake as a pet for several years as a kid (from a reptile and exotic pet store, not caught in the wild). It was an interesting pet. It was calm, didn't mind being handled, and never tried to bite me. Feeding was exciting, once a week I'd dangle a freshly-dead mouse in the cage by its tail and give it a little jiggle and the snake would strike it hard and slurp it right down.
When I worked in Midland, TX, my office was backed up to our 500 acre oil & gas facility. Midland, TX, is rattlesnake country and we were only 90 minutes from the largest rattlesnake round-up in the world.

The coolest thing about our facility is that we had an abundance of king snakes and they killified all of the rattlers (king snakes are constrictors). The only time we had a rattlesnake was if it came in with a shipment of oil & gas equipment.

Based on my experience, the OP is very lucky to have a king snake calling his property home.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
quote:
quote:
That's crazy.

HK Ag

When I worked in Midland, TX, my office was backed up to our 500 acre oil & gas facility. Midland, TX, is rattlesnake country and we were only 90 minutes from the largest rattlesnake round-up in the world.

The coolest thing about our facility is that we had an abundance of king snakes and they killified all of the rattlers (king snakes are constrictors). The only time we had a rattlesnake was if it came in with a shipment of oil & gas equipment.

Based on my experience, the OP is very lucky to have a king snake calling his property home.

Many years ago when I worked as a commercial photographer I had an ad to shoot for Gabriel shock absorbers.
We flew to Midland TX to photograph Al Unsers winning Indy car (sponsored by Gabriel) for the ad. We went to Jim Halls Rattlesnake raceway and Jim Halls race car building compound.
All I can remember from the trip there was how wonderful Jim Hall was, How HOT it was, and ALL the signs posted around the compound to watch for rattle snakes, and the snake bite kits hung in each building.
It sure got the attention of this Chicago guy!

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll stay in Chicago. I'd much rather deal with the two legged snakes we see around here.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he'll eat my GD moles, I'd pay you for him. I had an Eastern Hognose around the house for a while. See him on your sidewalk will give you a little giddy-up. Good on you for not molesting him.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
cool stories, learning a lot, grew up in Houston so the rare garter snake is all I could contribute.

I would probably kill myself running into a door jam if I saw snakes like the above just around.

So king snakes can kill rattlesnakes and moccasins etc., that is just amazing to me. I guess I figured venom snake win no mater what but obviously not. I wonder how King snakes accomplish that against a rattler. Going to have to hit up the internet.

Thanks for this work drift.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's crazy.

HK Ag

As Elk said, the King is not venomous; it constricts its prey. They are known to be immune to the venom of American vipers.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
cool stories, learning a lot, grew up in Houston so the rare garter snake is all I could contribute.

I would probably kill myself running into a door jam if I saw snakes like the above just around.

So king snakes can kill rattlesnakes and moccasins etc., that is just amazing to me. I guess I figured venom snake win no mater what but obviously not. I wonder how King snakes accomplish that against a rattler. Going to have to hit up the internet.

Thanks for this work drift.

HK Ag

As a kid in Houston, I occasionally found garter snakes, but had one friend whose yard would almost always turn up a "rough green snake" (yes, that's really the name - as a kid I knew them as "grass snakes") or two. They are the same striking green color as green anole lizards and usually 12-18 inches long or so.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a kid in Houston, I occasionally found garter snakes, but had one friend whose yard would almost always turn up a "rough green snake" (yes, that's really the name - as a kid I knew them as "grass snakes") or two. They are the same striking green color as green anole lizards and usually 12-18 inches long or so.

They are neat. I used to catch them and play with them when I was a kid. Pretty colors and their eyes are cool looking.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post