SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This year's Winter Project - Another Tractor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This year's Winter Project - Another Tractor Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
You have issues, my friend...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
You have issues, my friend...

You have no idea... Eek

Wink Wink Wink

Seriously tho, I love this shit. Taking something that's been neglected and abused and restoring it to useful condition. I figure it's cheaper than golf or boating and it keeps me out of the bars.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun winter project. Please keep up posting pictures and narrative as the project progresses.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yes, post a new episode each week just like the old Saturday afternoon serials at the movies. And, if it wouldn’t be too much to ask, let each episode have a suspenseful ending. Smile
Yeah, I know. I’ve been cooped up too long.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
PH you mentioned that this was your winter project and given where you live I’m curious how you are heating the garage....

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
PH you mentioned that this was your winter project and given where you live I’m curious how you are heating the garage....

I have a three burner tank-mounted Mr. Heater infrared propane that works pretty well.

If that's not enough, I have a small propane fired "salamander" style heater. Noisy, but puts out a bunch of warm.

If THAT'S not enough, I stay the hell indoors...

Here on the coast, really bitterly cold days are fairly rare. Teens and 20's during the day are more or less normal. The salamander and a pair of lined coveralls are good enough for that.

The bay I use as my wood shop is closed off and insulated. Usually the Mr. Heater will bring that up into the mid-50's which is plenty comfy. I'll bring sub-assemblies in there to work on them if need be.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
First off, I’m glad you have a heated shop. I was wondering the same question.

I find the rebuilding of tractors to be almost more intriguing than rebuilding of cars and motorcycles, which is probably one of my most favorite things.

Since the tractor is rear wheel drive, you could make it incredibly entertaining and slap a turbo on it. Something like Terror?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That guy is nucking futz.

That kind of speed with a high center of gravity and no suspension? No thanks.

posted Hide Post
Paul, how about next winter you change it up a bit. Instead of another tractor how about restoring on old NASCAR racer or maybe an old Indycar. Be a heck of a lot more fun on a test drive than a tractor.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Coming soon to your TV from PBS, This Old Tractor
starring PH Paul.

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
There are no mistakes, just happy old tractors.

I would watch it

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Paul, how about next winter you change it up a bit. Instead of another tractor how about restoring on old NASCAR racer or maybe an old Indycar. Be a heck of a lot more fun on a test drive than a tractor.

You start the GoFundMe, I'll clear a space in the garage. A 60's NASCAR ride would be wicked cool. You remember, right? When you could tell what brand it was from half a mile away?

Maybe I should start out with something a little less ambitious. Say, a dirt track quarter-midget.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
There are no mistakes, just happy old tractors.

I would watch it

PHBobRoss... Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Like the 1/4 midget car idea, relatively cheap and you could race it around an empty field. A 60's NASCAR is actually fairly simple, they were basic production line cars. There is a legend that Junior Johnson once rented a car from Hertz and raced it to put down claims that he was racing 7/8 scale cars sent to him by Chevrolet.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I can’t keep up. In my mind I was thinking we were on a bulldozer. Wasn’t there an airplane in there somewhere? I’m really getting behind.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Wazzup with the gas tractor you got from the neighbor for whom you did the chain saw work and clean out?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Wazzup with the gas tractor you got from the neighbor for whom you did the chain saw work and clean out?

Sold it on Craigslist. Actually made money on that one!

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I can’t keep up. In my mind I was thinking we were on a bulldozer. Wasn’t there an airplane in there somewhere? I’m really getting behind.

There was the remnants of an ultralight that I fixed the engine on, it still sits down behind the barn the owner rents. When, if ever, he decides to do something with it, it'll need fixing again...

The dozer was a fail. Just too far gone to justify fixing. Did manage to part it out for what I had in it.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
First off, I’m glad you have a heated shop. I was wondering the same question.

I find the rebuilding of tractors to be almost more intriguing than rebuilding of cars and motorcycles, which is probably one of my most favorite things.

Since the tractor is rear wheel drive, you could make it incredibly entertaining and slap a turbo on it. Something like Terror?

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9yHl24QynOM" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Some kids just like to sit and spin... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
Nice. I’m restoring a Ford 1910 tractor that I’m using for my small farm.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post