SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This year's Winter Project - Another Tractor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This year's Winter Project - Another Tractor Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

A Shibaura SD1400B. Shibaura built Ford's sub-compact diesel for years, might still for all I know.

14HP 2 cylinder water-cooled diesel engine, 4x2 (may be 4x3, won't know til I get it running) transmission and humungous Rice and Mud tires on the back. 2WD.

Good straight tin with just surface rust. Front tires are shot (they're cheap) rear wheels are locked up (rusted brakes...I hope...). All the fluids looked good, will filter and reuse the rear end oil. Other fluids will be replaced.

First task is to get the rear end freed up. Looking at how it's built, that will be a non-trivial task, but I wanted something to occupy my time so that's not bothering me. Yet...

They said they had the engine running but "it wouldn't move". Any number of reasons that could be.
If it's a huge/expensive/parts NLA issue, I can still use the engine and sell the tires. Think I did okay for $250.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun project.

I just picked up an old pickup to occupy my time this winter.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Where’s the rest of it? Lol
Have fun.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Where’s the rest of it? Lol
Have fun.

I like these little shits. I can leave it in the garage bay for as long as it takes and still work on other stuff.

I will say it's deceptively heavy. I went to pick the rear end up to drag it off the trailer and the ass-end of the Cabota came off the ground. Had to run back down and hang my big box blade off the Cabota for a counterweight.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not a lot of risk if you're only into it for $250. Looks like a fun project, be sure to post updates!

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Those look kinda like rice tires on the back.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Those look kinda like rice tires on the back.

Pretty sure that's what they are. I suspect this is a "gray market" tractor privately imported from Japan. What information I can find is that it's the model the Ford 1300 was based on. We'll find out when it comes time to find parts for it. Sniffing after a workshop manual for it now.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

What'd you get for a truck? I've considered that off and on, but I don't have room and I really, REALLY suck at body work.

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

What'd you get for a truck? I've considered that off and on, but I don't have room and I really, REALLY suck at body work.

Picked up a 1975 F250. Surprisingly the body is great on this one. The engine runs, but needs some work. The old 360 leaks bad, and needs a tune up. Transmission is good, an old NP435. I'll probably end up rebuilding the engine over the winter and go from there.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
The 360 has a good reputation. Thirsty sumbitch tho. 2wd or 4wd?

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Did that thing belong to Fred Flintstone? Big Grin

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Cool little tractor, keep us updated

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun Winter project Paul. Curious, gear oil is cheap why not put fresh in the rear end?

quote:
.....will filter and reuse the rear end oil. Other fluids will be replaced......

I always notice older Mitsubishi tractors around here for sale which have been fixed up and repainted as similar projects I assume.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 360 has a good reputation. Thirsty sumbitch tho. 2wd or 4wd?

2wd. Should be a fun project.

The one bad thing about those old FE engines is the way they ran the pushrods through the intake manifold and all the corners on it to try and get sealed up.

[/url]

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I bought a homely looking‘79 Chevy 1/2 ton that needed some cosmetic attention. A busted neck and some heart by pass surgery has put me way behind schedule.
In the last few weeks, carpenters, sheetrock guys, painters and plumbers have been in and out of the house like ants. All but one, has wanted to to know what I was going to do with that old truck.
My nephew’s son says he peed on all four tires to mark it as his truck now. Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
@95flhr - Dang! That's a pretty truck! Been years since I rebuilt an engine but always enjoyed the procedure. Except for signing all those checks that is...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

I was partly right about the brakes being bound up, the dual expanding disk setup was pretty cruddy.

Main problem tho was the outer axle bearing is toast. Locked up solid with rust. Extensive massage therapy with a BFH to get the housing off the bearing and then some creative mechanicking with a bearing splitter to get the bearing off the axle.

Seal in the housing is junk too, no surprise there. That stuff should be readily available. I'll order up enough to do both sides but don't want to pull the other axle until this one is back in. Suspect the carrier and ring gear would fall into the bottom of the transmission if I pulled both axles at the same time.

That might cause me to say things I didn't learn in Sunday School. Possibly. Maybe... Eek

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
You are a better man than I. I'm pretty sure I would have already been saying some of them words trying to get those rusted on parts off.

Thanks on the truck, should be fun, and I agree with signing the checks, that is always the most painful part of a project.

― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It actually went pretty well. I was more than a bit nervous whacking on that cast iron housing to back it off the bearing but some PB Blaster and persistence worked it off.

Getting that housing off the transmission/rear end casing was a bit nerve wracking too. Had to drive wedges into the joint and work my way around the perimeter a little at a time. Thankfully, it started fairly easily and I was able to tease it off without breaking anything. The gasket is toast and I doubt I'd ever find a new one, but some Permatex will work there.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
This thread topic reminds me of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo where they have a tractor rebuilding/restoration competition. They bring in the finished rebuilt tractor and show the various stages of restoration. I could stand there for hours looking at their projects.

Maybe other county fairs do this too, but man what a great project for the local HS FFA kids to get involved with.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post