SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mike Huckabee has the solution to the whole healthcare mess - why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before??!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Huckabee has the solution to the whole healthcare mess - why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before??! Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Dang man, why didn't I think of this??!?!? Roll Eyes Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing gets cured anymore there's too much money in the treatment.

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The big pharma conglomerates won't let that happen. Billions are made on those diseases every year. I know, that's tin foil territory but I can't help thinking it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
The big pharma conglomerates won't let that happen. Billions are made on those diseases every year. I know, that's tin foil territory but I can't help thinking it.

Jim

Seems like I am in good company here!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
no incentive to cure anything these days when you can continue to hose patients for billions in just managing a condition\

you cure something and a revenue stream dries up

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If those diseases get cured, won't there be a lot of very old folks sitting around in nursing homes at 6K a month causing another money problem?

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
no incentive to cure anything these days when you can continue to hose patients for billions in just managing a condition\

you cure something and a revenue stream dries up

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I believe a cure for hepatitis c was found in 2014, for all you cynics.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because no one would pay for a cure, right? What would the going rate be for a pill that outright cured cancer, maybe twenty bucks? Don't forget the gas station owners hosing you, too.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone actually identified the real and key problems with the healthcare system? How can we fix the system without an understanding of what's wrong?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
While I think Biden is a boob his cancer moonshot is a great idea. 50 years ago we went to the moon why can we not harness that type of mental power and team work to cure things like cancer.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I have a more effective and likely solution. Lose the politicians and insurance companies.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Am I reading this right? some of you clowns think pharmaceutical companies don't want to have a cure for some of the worst afflictions mankind suffers? I'm going to chalk that up to ignorance. absolutely unbelievable.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Take cancer, diabetes and heart disease first.

Probably 50% or more is caused by lifestyle choices. The people that have the most control over that and the most to gain or loose won't participate in a positive way.

Do you want the government to step in and make those choices for them?

Huckabee's right, that we need to take a more scientific approach to the problem. Unfortunately, the Republicans (in spite of what they said for the last 8 years) did nothing to prepare for this.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Interesting takes...I guess I should elaborate on why I thought this was funny:

The solution to the healthcare problem is making sure no one gets sick?

The solution to the murder problem in Chicago is for people to stop killing each other?

The solution to the problem of national debt is to just pay the money back?

Get it?

Of course the healthcare problem would be much better if cancer, heart disease, Alzheimers and diabetes were cured. Does he think that no one has been working on that for decades?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
The diseases mentioned are very complex and we still do not fully understand their full mechanisms. The difficult thing with Cancer and AD are finding treatments that do not kill or severely damage the patient.

There have been significant cancer breakthroughs such as anti-PD-1 monoclonal therapies that can greatly enhance the efficacy of cancer treatments but it does not work on every type of cancer, because some types do not express this receptor.

Polio is a virus and the solution was to generate a vaccine. Polio also does not mutate as readily as other viruses, so the vaccine continues to be effective.

Biological systems are extremely complex and do not always follow the laboratory rules for chemistry and physics. Invitro (laboratory) can be significantly different than invivo (in the body), and finding effective model systems to study drug development is not easy.

I know I am biased as a scientist (Molecular Biologist/Immunologist) but it takes years of research to address many diseases and the majority of times, the research does not yield an effective drug with acceptable side effects.

My tirade above does not even begin to address the difficulty of getting new drugs and vaccines approved for use. Clinical trials take significant time and resources with the major risk that they will not yield an actual product.

Just my educated and experienced $0.02,

Mike
(Molecular Biologist/Immunologist, working in clinical vaccine research)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How about a cure for the common cold?

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever see how the various institutions involved in medical research compete for research grants?
And what they are proposing to research. It isn't simply cancer, or diabetes for example. Both of these diseases have multiple causes and multiple issues,from the molecular and smaller up to the entire human body. Each institution competes at a fierce level for the money. Each organization with grant money; NIH, Howard Hughes, American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Diabetes Association, pharmaceutical companies, etc. each have there own rules, procedures about how to apply. Some of the research doesn't directly translate to a specific disease, just a better or different, or obscure attempt to find how cells or cell components function or interact. Often the research is shelved without an immediate effect towards a disease. Another researcher may use earlier research towards a different idea they have. Private research is held close to the vest for financial reasons. And it not unheard of for researchers to embellish results that may or may not be caught.
Complicated process, and often involves non- U.S. entities with their own rules and desires.
Definitely not one concentrated process or goal!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post