SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Know Anyone Who Does This With Their Car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Know Anyone Who Does This With Their Car? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was taught to turn everything off. Additionally my father taught me that you tell the valet to not move the seat, change the station on the radio or squeal the tires when parking. I have the same habits.

I find it very annoying after having the car serviced that the windows are all down and when I start the car the radio is on full blast to the latest rap station. Grease or oil on the steering wheel sort of tops it off.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm weird too because I do the same thing. When I pull into the subdivision, I turn off the radio, air and open all the windows. Our cars are parked in the garage so I have no issues leaving windows open with stuff in the car.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Aren't you the guy who gets upset when cupboard doors are left open or lights left on in the house? This sounds like more of that.

Those are pet peeves of mine. More so the lights than the cupboard doors. To me, leaving lights on when there's no use for it is a waste of money. Same with fans. Wife does it all the time. "Oh, I forgot..." Electricity bill over the summer is typically $160 or so. That's high to me. With electricity being a variable expense, I don't want to have a higher bill just for the sake of having a higher bill.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I find it very annoying after having the car serviced that the windows are all down and when I start the car the radio is on full blast to the latest rap station. Grease or oil on the steering wheel sort of tops it off.

To me, that's a lack of respect for the property of others.

You're telling me you can't go 30 seconds without listening to your shitty music while you move the car to/from the parking lot to the bay? Roll Eyes

It's also a huge reason why I service my vehicles myself. I don't care if 2 oil changes were paid for up front with the price of the vehicle. I'll do the shit myself and save myself the time of driving there, waiting, driving back and not having to listen to you trying to upsell me on something I don't need nor want.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Or; Start up and IMMEDIATELY shift into "D" and pull away. NO warmup whatsoever. My Wifes habit that kills me.

Warm up at start up, idle down at shut down.

when I pull in, I usually don't shut the engine off right away, which is the reason I turn everything down, I don't need it as high as I did while driving.

Also I control the temps, not some auto setting. It doesn't make sense to me to have the AC running at a low setting. I'd rather have it off most of the time and occasionally on high, than have the compressor going all the time, but only cooling a little.

"Today's AC's are much more efficient" That there's bullshit. Big Grin
Okay , maybe more than in the 60's but in both my Subaru and my Nissan, the difference in engine response is very noticeable. So much so that I will shut them off at times when highway merging and the like. The Subi was SO noticeable, I used to joke that the button was for the turbo charger. Hit the button to kill the AC she took off! Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Back many years ago when I ran EMS we had a few ambulances that would blow the AC relay (under the hood and for the cab AC, not the patient compartment AC) if you started the rig with the AC blowing high. Everyone quickly learned to shut the AC off before starting the rig to prevent this.

The relays were about $20 each and the supervisors wouldn't give you a new one if you were a repeat offender. To this day this has carried over for me. I still make sure the AC is off before I start a vehicle as I don't want to go through a day without AC.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Turning the AC off and running the blower will dry out your evaporator eliminating the mildew or stinky sock smell. Knowing this, I still rarely do.

Pretty sure when the engine is cranking, all accessories are disingaged, including the AC compressor. Your modern alternator will keep up with factory electrical demands just fine at idle, no need to kill everything prior to shutdown for a few more milli amps into the batt. For next startup.

In my diesel, I'll give the engine about a minute for Temps to normalize before shutdown (turbo bearings).

Radio definitely gets lowered so I don't get caught off guard by obnoxious noise when I fire the engine up.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I turn it all off once I park (definitely the A/C, sometimes I let the music play), and let the car idle for close to a minute before cutting the engine off. I've done this since I was 16 based on instructions from my father. I've attempted to "teach" the wife this same way of thinking - I think she did it for a week then hasn't done it since. Every time I crank up her car the A/C and radio are always on.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
I leave everything on. I also use remote start (key fob or iPhone app) to start my truck while walking across the parking lot. Having the AC blow for a few seconds before I get in makes a big difference in our heat.

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
The only thing I turn off is the car. That’s all there is to it.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Turn everything off or down as I start to park. Just how I do it.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
The only thing I turn off is the car. That’s all there is to it.

+1

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You accomplish nothing by turning everything off, except shortening the life of your switches. So in essence, your anal-ness about turning everything off is shortening the life of your car.

For the record, I leave my radio on, and I actually turn my A.C. To full blast, full cold, max A.C. When I park it. Why? Because it's 125 degrees inside or hotter the next time I start it and I want the a.c. running full blast as soon as it starts.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
If I’m in the car and it’s summer the AC is on...I refuse to turn it off ever. I have it on full blast at all times especially when the convertible top is down. I can even turn it on from my phone from inside the house. You sir are a crazy person. I ever never had a car more than 3 years so if doing this is bad for the car I could give a turkey.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I have always shut everything down and wait a few seconds. I want to give the alternator that final chance to pump a few micro-amps into the battery, and I want the starter and engine to crank with as little load on them as possible.

Huh?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
I have always turned the accessories off as I approached home. On a long trip, I'll start turning things off a few miles from home. The last mile is to listen to the car.
Same on start-up; let the car warm-up so the A/C comes on cold (here in Fl).

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
well I turn everything off. It just makes sense that when turning it ack on you are draining/pushing the battery. Thats just me...

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've never met anyone that would turn off their accessories before shutting the car off. The ignition turns all of those things off. No need to do a shutdown procedure. You won't use up your radio fluid if you leave the knob on over night.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Your concerns may be, in part, born of an age when the a/c wasn't disengaged on starting and batteries/charging systems struggled to start with a heavy load. IMHO, and experience, that's not been true for over two decades. So yes - I do exactly what your wife does and don't believe it to be an issue.

If anybody is having difficulty starting because something is still turned on, that's your battery screaming "replace me before I die at 11:30 in a dark parking lot", not some sign you need to turn off your radio.

The advice about "clearing out" a/c, especially being sure it is on fresh air and not recirc setting is valuable, but only if you are parking the car in storage or for weeks, not hours or a few days.

This whole idling before shutting off thing is bassackwards too. The only time that makes any sense is if you have some massive intercooler turbo system from the 80's that will coke up the oil due to extreme temps if shut down immediately. Otherwise you are probably experiencing a rise in coolant/oil temps while sitting still idling for 1-23.67 minutes which is just harder on your car. I'm also discounting that you don't live on a racetrack and have come blasting into your garage at maximum oil and brake temps. If that's true, I would like to come visit you please.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

"Today's AC's are much more efficient" That there's bullshit. Big Grin
Okay , maybe more than in the 60's but in both my Subaru and my Nissan, the difference in engine response is very noticeable. So much so that I will shut them off at times when highway merging and the like. The Subi was SO noticeable, I used to joke that the button was for the turbo charger. Hit the button to kill the AC she took off! Big Grin

Back in the early 80s VW made a Dasher and it had an optional diesel engine. The diesel version was absolutely gutless, the car's power-to-weight ratio was laughable. The power drop with the A/C on was so noticeable we called them a Dasher Diesel with air brakes.

Having started with 60s and 70s carbureted cars I got in the habit of turning off A/C before killing the engine because some of those vehicle didn't idle well on cold starts with A/C on. It's not a problem with modern fuel injected vehicles but I still default to turning A/C off more often than not. Turning the radio down is common sense, getting blasted by loud noise is annoying and I kinda like to hear the engine when I'm starting it.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I don't worry about it.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post