SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Know Anyone Who Does This With Their Car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Know Anyone Who Does This With Their Car? Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Or; Start up and IMMEDIATELY shift into "D" and pull away. NO warmup whatsoever. My Wifes habit that kills me.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
In my F150, I'd turn the fan speed to low, to avoid being blasted with hot air, and would lower the stereo volume. But, I left them on.

In my Mercedes, it has auto-climate, so it stays on Auto.
Oddly, the stereo has a pre-set start volume, regardless of the volume setting at engine-off, which is a bit higher than I'd expect.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15315 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I actually agree with your method...controls should be returned to their neutral position before shut down.

So what is the "neutral position"? Fan off, I assume, but is neutral temp cold, hot, middle? What about the radio station? Is that returned to 540 AM? 1600 AM?? 1070??? Heck, is AM even neutral? Maybe FM is kind of halfway between AM and XM. Not sure.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My wife will leave everything on, AC or heat, radio etc and simply turn her car off.

My husband's wife does the same thing. Big Grin

When I'm driving someone else's car, including my husband's, I return the seat, AC, and radio settings to the way I found them.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
I always disengage the AC compressor and let outside air blow through the vents for a few seconds before shutting the car off. I’ve seen where some vehicles will start emitting a mildew smell if you just kill the car with the ac still going.

I was told years ago that's it's best to turn off the AC before turning off the car. I don't really know why. Maybe it's to let the water drain out of the compressor, maybe it's to not put too big a load on when starting the car.... I don't really know why.

The radio I leave on.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Everything is automatic, climate, lights, traction, side mirrors, etc. Radio is not a problem either.

The only time they need attention is after service, where for some reason, service guys fiddle with everything, set the temps to penquin range, blowers on jet stream, radio on stun, gps, and all the little secret switches, traction, etc to annoy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I just turn my truck off. I've noticed the air blows for a few seconds after shutdown and slowly ramps up on startup. The radio has a setting that maintains low volume on startup regardless of where it's set on shutoff.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I was told years ago that's it's best to turn off the AC before turning off the car. I don't really know why. Maybe it's to let the water drain out of the compressor, maybe it's to not put too big a load on when starting the car.... I don't really know why.

I think "years ago" may be the key. I'm pretty sure any car produced in the last 10-20 years with an ECM shuts down whatever is needed to make the start and brings it on line as power is available.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
why would anyone turn everything off? I might turn the stereo down from the full blast that it usually is, and if it was raining I turn the wipers off, but that's it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I insist being turned off is the windshield wipers. It really messes wiper blades up when they freeze to the windshield in the winter time. Our headlights turn off with the key.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
You're weird.

Yep.
I turn down the radio a tad *if* I think about it but my Python alarm is there to remote start the truck.
With the AC off, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a remote that works from almost 1/4 mile away.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have auto ac, so always leave it on. Radio gets turned down, if necessary, but otherwise, just turn the key off.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
The only thing that I insist being turned off is the windshield wipers. It really messes wiper blades up when they freeze to the windshield in the winter time. Our headlights turn off with the key.

Forgot about wipers. Yes they need to be off before turning off.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have to agree... You're the weird one in this case.

The only thing I turn off before killing the ignition is the windshield wipers. Before I had vehicles with automatic headlights, I would turn those off too, but haven't had to do that in years.

I don't bother turning the radio, A/C, etc. off, and don't know anyone who insists on doing that.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Or; Start up and IMMEDIATELY shift into "D" and pull away. NO warmup whatsoever. My Wifes habit that kills me.

I do this, too, but I also don't live in Montana.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I have always shut everything down and wait a few seconds. I want to give the alternator that final chance to pump a few micro-amps into the battery, and I want the starter and engine to crank with as little load on them as possible.

This. I turn everything off unless it is in a car with auto climate control A/C, which I usually leave on.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'll sometimes shut the car down without turning anything off. Then again, I'm the only one who ever drives it. If the headlights are on, the car starts up a pretty obnoxious blaring if you open the door with the engine off, so I don't worry about forgetting that. A few times I've shut down and climbed out after listening to a particularly favorite song and had it up fairly loud, then been surprised by the volume when I start up the next morning.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Common wisdom in yesteryear was AC put a large drag on the engine. Might even cost you 2 -5 MPGs. And if you attempted to start the car with the AC on you were dragging the compressor along as the starter spun the engine which was hard on the battery and starter. Today's AC compressors are much more efferent. When they run there's hardly a blip in MPGs and in most vehicles running with the AC on is more fuel efferent than AC off with windows down. At least at highway speeds. So, there is little advantage to starting a modern day car with the AC off.

Radio and other low power accessories also have next to zero affect on starting ability. So no real reason to turn them off other than those of use with OCD that like things in their place.

As far as starting and putting in gear and immediately driving off, again today's cars are different. ECUs control all of that stuff and give higher RPMs at start up. Engines warm up faster under some load rather than just idling. Of course you can go too far with this. If you drive away in a normal fashion, no problem. If you take off squealing tires like you just found out your wife was cheating on you there might be some issues down the line.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I leave everything on. I start up and drive away with no warm up. I shut everything off by turning the key off.

Never had an issue. My car is 12 years old, 180K.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I have always shut everything down and wait a few seconds. I want to give the alternator that final chance to pump a few micro-amps into the battery, and I want the starter and engine to crank with as little load on them as possible.

This.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post