SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Know Anyone Who Does This With Their Car?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Know Anyone Who Does This With Their Car? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My wife will leave everything on, AC or heat, radio etc and simply turn her car off.

I had to let her use my car for a day last week and I get in and turn it on and everything comes on full blast; AC, radio.

I've never ever seen anyone else do this before and it drives me crazy. When you park the car, turn the AC and the radio off! She thinks I'm weird that I've never seen anyone do this before her.

I guess I'm lucky she turns the headlights off!

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yes - I grew up that way and had never seen it done differently. Left everything in the position it was when you put it in park, then turn it off (aside from lights if the car doesn't have the AUTO setting)

Even to this day, driving with multiple people, I can't think of a time when I've seen someone turn everything off before shutting down the car.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I've never ever seen anyone else do this before and it drives me crazy. When you park the car, turn the AC and the radio off! She thinks I'm weird that I've never seen anyone do this before her.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it your way... maybe the radio, but not the AC.

As far as headlights, my last several cars have all had automatic lights with daytime running lights and I just leave them on all the time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're weird.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
We have automatic climate controls, so we leave them on. But nothing is "blasting", the radio and fan (if not on auto) are left on at a moderate level.

To shut everything off? A waste of time to me.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Must be a wife thing. My wife does the same thing, and my guess is many people do this, too.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'm another that does things differently than you. I leave the radio on and my heat / AC is set by temperature so I just leave it set at a certain temp and I'm ready to go.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I used to leave the radio on in my last car but with my Taurus, I turn it off before the car. The reason why? The shitty Microsoft-powered SYNC radio will sporadically refuse to play anything the next time the car starts unless I turn off the radio prior to shutting off the car. To remedy the situation means leaving the car off for at least 20 mins. I'm so addicted to listening to music while driving that I can't stand it when the glitch happens.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My wife will leave everything on, AC or heat, radio etc and simply turn her car off.

I had to let her use my car for a day last week and I get in and turn it on and everything comes on full blast; AC, radio.

She is right. You are weird.

I leave the radio and the AC on. My AC/heat is automatic - I set a temperature and it maintains it, whatever is needed. In some ways, you can't really turn it off. Of course that doesn't stop my wife from fiddling with it - I keep telling her it will adjust the temperature as soon as physics allows, but she still has to twiddle the knobs. But even with a conventional AC, I would still leave it on.

I have heard no convincing reason to do it otherwise.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I'll turn down the stereo when I get in the neighborhood, and roll up the windows if they are down,

other than that, and putting it in park, I only turn off the engine,,,(and headlights, since they are not auto)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
I'm guilty as charged, along with your wife. I readjust settings the next time I use the vehicle, as mandated by the weather.

However, I do turn the radio off, as I rarely use it.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
You're weird.

Yup.
Funny how he thought the wife was weird turns out it’s actually him who is Razz

I do turn the radio down as it is usually cranked pretty good unless the kids are in the car.
But everything stays on.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the one driving my truck at least 95% of the time, so everything is left in its last operating position. Other than wear and tear on the switches, what does "shutting down" 2 seconds before the main shut down accomplish?

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'm the weirdo of the SF today, the AC is set to auto and stays that way, on and ready when it cranks.

The radio is seldom on, but if it is I also leave it on, but the volume is very low anyway.

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I actually agree with your method...controls should be returned to their neutral position before shut down.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Why would you turn it off?

It's summer, it's hot. I want to turn the car on and have the air going...one less thing for me to do. (Ideally, I auto start with the key fob a few minutes before I get in to a nice cool car.)

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I turn off the audio source, but that's it.

On the other hand, the wife rarely drives my car and I rarely drive hers, so it's not an issue.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I have always shut everything down and wait a few seconds. I want to give the alternator that final chance to pump a few micro-amps into the battery, and I want the starter and engine to crank with as little load on them as possible.

I rarely use the a/c (prefer fresh air even if hot) but if I do I shut it down a while parking and not at last minute.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a deal. My truck my way. Her truck, her way.

Example; I leave my phone charger hanging on the dash. I was out today and tried to plug in my phone. No charger. Not under the seat, not on the floor or the back seat.

She put it in the seat back pocket because "That's what I do with mine".

No.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I always disengage the AC compressor and let outside air blow through the vents for a few seconds before shutting the car off. I’ve seen where some vehicles will start emitting a mildew smell if you just kill the car with the ac still going.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post