SIGforum
Fulton fold away hinge kit for trailer tongue?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/7330060634

January 12, 2018, 11:30 AM
Tommydogg
Fulton fold away hinge kit for trailer tongue?
I have a Jetski trailer that would store a whole lot better with a shorter tongue. The trailer tongue is 3x3 inches. It's rated at 1250 lbs and the ski weighs about 77 lbs. I purchased a Fulton hinge kit. before I cut my tongue, I wanted to find out if anyone has experience with these type devices, pros and cons. Thanks! Jet ski to follow in another post!
http://www.fultonperformance.c...eKrpSkgMbKEw1q5s0BM=

Beth Greene
January 12, 2018, 11:40 AM
dusty3030
Makes it a whole lot easier to store.

I've had several folding tongue boat trailers with no issues.

I'd be sure You hit the part you cut / drill with some cold galvanizing paint and let it dry before you reassemble it all.

With the tongue folded I put a long shank padlock through the hole and locked it just to slow down a thief a little more (I hope). Won't stop a pro but may deter a crackhead.
January 12, 2018, 12:21 PM
MNSIG
I have them on both of my boat trailers. ShoreLand'r and Ranger. They do help with the storage space. There was a run of ShoreLand'rs that had bad welds and separated when a little rust got going. One heck of a way to ruin your boating day or kill someone following you on the highway.
January 12, 2018, 03:37 PM
sreding
I cut the tongue on my last boat (16ft fishing boat) and installed one of those - I welded it on as well as using the bolts for that added safety factor. Seemed to work fine.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters
January 12, 2018, 03:45 PM
jimmy123x
You want the longest tongue you can possibly get, do not shorten it. SO when you go to launch it, you don't have to dunk your tow vehicles wheels, hot rear brakes and differential in salt water to get the trailer deep enough to launch the waverunner.

That being said, the Fulton fold away tongues are good to go for your purpose. Just make sure to use Grade 8 bolts to put it on the trailer.
January 13, 2018, 10:02 AM
Tommydogg
Thanks for the replies, I now have confidence in the part before I cut my tongue in half!

Beth Greene