SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon Prime free trial - What happens after 30 days?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon Prime free trial - What happens after 30 days? Login/Join 
posted
Do they automatically charge your CC for $99 for the first year? I just ordered two books and could not resist free two day shipping. Then I realized we'll be in China with possible internet issues when the 30 days ends.

I doubt I'll keep Prime, I just don't order enough stuff (I know, it's much more than books) to make it worthwhile. Does the free trial simply end after the 30 days or will they charge my CC?

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
They will charge you.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I think you can go in and cancel it now and after the 30 days it will just expire. Also, I think if you do nothing, it defaults to the monthly charges unless you go in and tell Amazon to do the yearly plan. After you log in go to "Your Prime Membership" to see your options.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
As I recall, they will charge you, but you can cancel out if you wish.

Prime is a great deal. Not only free shipping, but they have a ton of movies and tv shows that you can watch for free with your membership. I get just about everything from Amazon-- excellent customer service-- and free shipping alone quickly pays for the membership for me.

If you order very little, not so.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Loves me some Prime. Those next day shipping deals (of which I was initially skeptical) are amazing on how fast you get it in your hands.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the free trial simply end after the 30 days or will they charge my CC?

They will charge your card if you don't cancel. Possibly, depending on the state, with sales tax on top of that.

Personally, I order quite frequently (usually tools), which pays for the shipping charges I would have otherwise incurred. I have never had a Prime-eligible order not arrive in two business days. There is a large amount of TV shows, movies, books and music you can watch or download.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I cancelled after 20 days and they extended it another 30.

The 2" ball valve I wanted yesterday was almost on time but a T&S utility faucet disappeared in the system. Had to cancel and reorder.

In general A does a decent job.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Cancel it now and it will naturally expire in 30 days.

But don't!! Prime is an unbelievable value.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Cancel it now and it will naturally expire in 30 days.

But don't!! Prime is an unbelievable value.

What are you, a shareholder? It's only valuable if you need it.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
As I recall, they will charge you, but you can cancel out if you wish.

Prime is a great deal. Not only free shipping, but they have a ton of movies and tv shows that you can watch for free with your membership. I get just about everything from Amazon-- excellent customer service-- and free shipping alone quickly pays for the membership for me.

If you order very little, not so.
My wife watches a lot of their TV stuff and I keep my Kindle loaded with free books from Prime Reading.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the free trial thing and then they had a deal for the one year if you open an account with them,which was perfect for me as it was the only card on the account and I would know immediately if it was used. My one year is ending soon and will probably renew it as I have ordered quite a few things on there-car parts, gun parts,things for the home,etc.. Shipping is free,( and faster than most local places-big shops and smaller dealers included) and you earn points with what you buy on their.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
With Amazon Prime you get:

Prime Video, basically Amazon's version of Netflix with a lot of original shows. I especially like Bosch.

Prime Music. Akin to Pandora or Spotify or other streaming music services

Prime Shipping. Free 2 day shipping on all your Amazon orders that are eligible, which is most things on Amazon now.

I think there's more, but those three alone are worth ~8 bucks/month if you use them. Prime is a no-brainer for Amazon users. Especially those that use the Echo.

If you don't use any of those things, though, don't get prime. Simple enough.

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
As others have said, they will charge you for a year if you don't cancel.

Last November, I did a trial and liked if so much I kept it. I almost exclusively buy Prime items for the free 2 day shipping. I've only had 3 instances where the items didn't arrive in 2 days and I was given credits after checking with customer service. I like Prime so much I will definitely renew this coming November.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a 3¼" octagon socket for about half the price that it would be on the tool truck, and it will be here Thursday.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
For me, Amazon Prime is kind of like having a Costco membership. Yeah, it's a great deal. Problem is you end up buying more.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
For me, Amazon Prime is kind of like having a Costco membership. Yeah, it's a great deal. Problem is you end up buying more.

And that's how they get ya. Amazon recognized early on that Prime subscribers spend A LOT more with them than non-subscribers. Mostly because of the implantation of the idea of free shipping...and getting your money's worth out of that annual payment.

The free movies and Kindle books are nice, but what hooked me is the music, enough so that I now pay even more for their "Unlimited" level (it's not actually unlimited; some music acts still don't allow their material for streaming and download). 99.9% of what I listen to is available to me on my devices, including the Amazon Echo...though that thing creeps me out. Always listening...but then again so do smartphones, other smart devices...

They are keeping tabs on us......but I'm digressing again.

Prime offers a LOT more than free shipping. And most folks love it, and are hooked because of it. Probably a huge reason why their share price has been floating around the $1000 mark of late.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Down side is supporting one of the worst anti-gun executives in the country.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
gun parts,t

Except their list of prohibited items is long.. I'll buy from Brownells or Midway.

Examples of prohibited listings
Assault weapon parts or accessories or products marketed as assault weapon parts or accessories, including reference to various assault weapon models
Parts or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon
Gun parts and accessories, even when designed or marketed for use with paintball or airsoft guns, such as:
Assault weapon conversion kits
Assault weapon grips, forend grips, front grips, and foregrips,
Assault weapon and AR-specific tools, such as:
Vise blocks
AR-15/M16 armorer’s wrenches or combo wrenches
Bullet button tools
Auto sears, such as:
Full auto sears (also known as drop-in auto sear or DIAS)
AR-15 auto sears
Auto sears II
Barrels, barrel shrouds, barrel extenders, heat guards, hand guards, and vent cooling slots
Battery assist levers
Bayonet mounts and any device for attaching a bayonet to a firearm
Camouflaging gun containers designed to fire without removing the gun from its container
Charging handles, latches, and assemblies
Detachable carry handles and assault rifle carry handles
Ejection port, ejection port covers, and dust covers
Frames
Gas blocks, gas tubes, and gas pistons
Certain grips and grip accessories, such as:
Pistol grips designed for attachment to an assault weapon, rifle, or shotgun
Folding, vertical, and tactical grips
Angled foregrips and ambidextrous foregrips
Grip pods, funnels, and extensions
Hand stops
Kits that can be used to create gun magazines
Machine gun conversion kits and any part or combination of parts for converting a firearm into an automatic weapon
Magazines and related items, such as:
Magazine components or extensions
Magazine cinches, couplers, connectors, dual mag holders, and dual mag clamps
Magazine loaders that can accommodate the following calibers: .223/5.56; 7.62x51; 308; 7.62x39; 5.45x39
Multi-rail systems, including quad rails and rail covers, free-floating and drop-in handguards
Muzzle brakes (also known as muzzle tamers)
Pistol stabilizing braces
Recoil compensators
Receivers, including lower and upper receivers
Receiver extensions and pins
Receiver wedges or buffers that tighten loose upper & lower receivers
AR-specific jig kits
Revolving cylinder for a shotgun
Selector levers, detents, and switches
Single point, 3-point, tactical, and quick detach slings
Sling plates and end plates
Slide fire stock and weapons kits, such as:
Bump firing devices, stocks, and kits
Solvent trap oil filter adapters, solvent traps and homemade silencers, and component parts for solvent traps and homemade silencers
Any non-fixed stock, including telescoping, folding or collapsible stocks
Silencers or suppressors, including:
Flash suppressors
Sound suppressors
Suppressors marketed or intended for airsoft, air guns, or paintball guns
Fake, mock, or faux silencers or suppressors
Takedown pins, pivot pins, cam pins, and roll pins
Threaded barrel adapters
Thumbhole stocks
Trigger activators, such as:
Multi-burst trigger activators
Trigger attachments
Devices that facilitate so called "bump-firing"
All internal/moving gun parts, such as:
Bolt catch releases, assemblies, actuators, and battery assist levers
Bolt carriers, bolt pins, and buffer pins
Buffer tubes and related parts and extension tubes
Firing pins, springs, and stops
Trigger, trigger assemblies, or fire control groups
Upgrade parts and replacement parts
Anti-walk pins

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help...ml/?nodeId=200277700

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My recollection is that Amazon sent me an email near the end of the 30-day free trial, asking if I wanted to subscribe to the monthly or yearly plan, or cancel. I opted for the yearly plan.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My recollection is that Amazon sent me an email near the end of the 30-day free trial, asking if I wanted to subscribe to the monthly or yearly plan, or cancel. I opted for the yearly plan.

I'll be traveling in China when the 30 days are up, I may not have access to AOL.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, for me it's not worth it to keep Prime when I have to pay for it. Before leaving for China I'll 1) order a few more books, and then 2) cancel the Prime.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post