SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sudden change in digestive response to beef - Should I be concerned?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sudden change in digestive response to beef - Should I be concerned? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I've noticed for 3-4 months that eating beef, specifically a steak or a roast (hamburger doesn't seem to bother) causes SERIOUS digestive issues. Not to be too graphic, it goes through me like Sherman through Atlanta.

Steaks are pink but not bloody, roast well done. I trim the bulk of the fat off after cooking and cut around any gristle. What's really amazing is that the reaction happens in a matter of a couple of hours after eating. My wife has always been sensitive to beef but notices an increased reaction as well.

The beef in question is from my half of half a beef critter we bought from a farm-based slaughter/butcher operation. We've used this outfit for several years and this is the first time there's been a reaction.

I'd hate to have to give up beef but unless we can ID some other reason, I may have to.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Are the steaks marinated? Or prepared with any kind of rub, seasoning, etc.?
Is it ONLY from this beef?

I had a similar issue with the salad bar from a local place. Just all of a sudden. Then I found out they had recently started using Fruit Fresh on the salad bar.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Invest in a dinner at Ruth’s Chris or equivalent and see how that goes (sorry!).

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
well you could buy a couple of steaks from a grocer and see if you get the same reaction...

Posts: 23446 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Seems much more likely something's wrong with the meat, than with you.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This tick is in your neck of the woods. Lone Star tick

You develop allergies to red meat.

7 Lone Star Tick Symptoms To Look Out For If You Think You've Been Bitten

https://www.bustle.com/p/7-lon...ve-been-bitten-66452

Planning to take a hike in the woods this summer? Be on the lookout for a new threat in the form of a tiny tick that seems to have supernatural powers. If you get bitten, Lone Star tick symptoms can mimic food poisoning, or a severe allergic reaction. And, the Lone Star tick could force you to become a vegetarian, because one result of getting bitten by this insect is developing an allergy to red meat. Cue Mulder and Scully. While it sounds like it's straight out of the X-Files, this is actually not a science fiction storyline.

"You're walking through the woods, and that tick has had a meal of cow blood or mammal blood," Cosby Stone, an allergy and immunology fellow at Vanderbilt University, told National Geographic. "The tick, carrying Alpha-Gal, bites you and activates your allergy immune system."

What's more is that you might not even realize you're been infected until you get violently ill at a backyard barbecue after chowing down on a ribeye or hamburger. This is because your body creates Alpha-Gal antibodies, and rewires itself to fight Alpha-Gal sugar molecules, which are prevalent in red meat.

The ticks are mostly found in the Midwest, East Coast, and in southern parts of the United States. While not everyone who is bitten will develop the red-meat allergy, there are other illnesses you can contract from the ticks. If you think you've been bitten by the Lone Star tick, here are the symptoms you need to watch out for.

The symptoms of being bitten by the Lone Star tick can be similar to food poisoning, but may also be accompanied by hives, and shortness of breath a few hours after eating red meat, Stone explained to National Geographic.

"There's a time delay in the reaction," said Stone, which accounts for why some people don't always immediately realize they're have a reaction. "It [the Alpha-Gal] has to first travel through your gastrointestinal tract to be released. Hours later, patients wake up with hives, shortness of breath, vomiting, and diarrhea."

Other symptoms can occur and are posted in the article.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the suggestions to try another source of beef are worthwhile. The timing may not be a coincidence.

I'd only add that you should give the other source a couple tries, since your body may now be accustomed to rejecting beef. May need a re-set.

Since the problem is new, maybe try one of your previous sources of beef.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The meat allergy is anything with four legs so it likely is not that. He said he could eat hamburger just fine.

I would be curious if it is the meat you purchased.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If the beef is all from the same source I would question that first, try some from a different source.

You know, like when your SIG malfunctions, it's a good idea to try some different ammunition.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm not a doctor but it seems to me the meat itself is not going through you, but some enzymes or what-not are getting shunted through your system. The meat itself would take 60 hours or longer to make it through all your plumbing.

The body is a vast chemical factory. It tells its minions to remove one material sooner if that material is causing issues elsewhere - and it has the capability to remove it. (Sometimes it has the capability to remove something and gets the signals mixed up - T-cells attacking healthy tissue?)

The same way my "I'm not an alcoholic" wino cousin chomps into the potatoes with relish - his body is pleading for something to soak up the alcohol because it cannot metabolize it fast enough - your body does what its processes think is best.

I stopped eating cured meats, mostly. It took years to figure out why hard salami, and cured stuff people regard as fancy, gave me a bellyache.

My sister-in-law has stopped eating red meats and anything with hormones or injections or anything, after her cancer.

I bet a lab could figure it out. Your doctor can send in a sample of the beef. Then go back to the butcher operation.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take suggestion by wcb seriously. The Lonestar does cause allergy to red meat. A doctor can run simple blood test to detect this allergy.

You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.

Posts: 364 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Being a Vegan would mean more meat for the rest of us! Cool

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

I had a similar issue with the salad bar from a local place. Just all of a sudden. Then I found out they had recently started using Fruit Fresh on the salad bar.

Marinated. Not sure in what, I'll check with The Cook.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wo5TznA5as

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
BTW, don't count on an invitation to the next SF cookout till you get this resolved. Just sayin'.
Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
BTW, don't count on an invitation to the next SF cookout till you get this resolved. Just sayin'.
Wink

Not even if I BMOPP? (Bring My Own Porta Potty) Big Grin

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMLgraybeard:
Take suggestion by wcb seriously. The Lonestar does cause allergy to red meat. A doctor can run simple blood test to detect this allergy.

My mom ended up with double whammy. Red meat allergy and Lyme's disease. Ticks are no joke.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:

Marinated. Not sure in what, I'll check with The Cook.
Are your steaks seasoned differently than burgers?

The reason I ask is I have a mild allergy to garlic that my siblings and I apparently inherited from Dad. Eating garlic causes large gas build-up and releasing causes everything to shoot out of us. Some steak seasonings have massive amounts of garlic. Tomato dishes tend to have massive amounts of garlic. Many places pair steak with garlic bread.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some blood types are not suited for beef eating and it does not affect some people until they get older. I have A- blood and am supposed to stay away from beef.

I have started eating less beef, as I have aged and eat more chicken, turkey and fish instead.

There is a book called eating for your blood type out there that might help.

Also if you did get a tick bite there are natural things you can take to help you there as well.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Some blood types are not suited for beef eating and it does not affect some people until they get older. I have A- blood and am supposed to stay away from beef.
[...]
There is a book called eating for your blood type out there that might help.

First I'd heard of it so I did a search and this was the first thing that popped up (I'm A positive):
quote:
Type A blood: A meat-free diet based on fruits and vegetables, beans and legumes, and whole grains -- ideally, organic and fresh, because D'Adamo says people with type A blood have a sensitive immune system.

That's a big bucket of "fuck that."

Paul, hope you get it sorted out. I've got nothing to offer in the way of help, just along for the knowledge. Smile

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post