SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to consider when buying a new suit?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to consider when buying a new suit? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Highspeedlane:
I recently got two suits at Men's Warehouse. Overall it was an "okay" experience I guess. What I didn't care for was they try to upsell you at any opportunity, ...

I didn't have that problem because I know how a suit should hang, and the less expensive suits they had did not hang well on me. So I up-sold myself.

quote:
... and if you use them for the tailoring it can take up to 3 or 4 weeks, so don't use them if you're in a hurry.

I did not have that problem. My suit was ready for pickup in a few days. Fit and hung perfectly, too.

Of course: Part of the reason for that is the alterations needed were minimal, because I picked-out a better suit that fit me better right out of the gate.

quote:
The other thing I'm not sure about is the salesman said the "style" nowadays is for the suit to fit somewhat snugly. I'm not a fan of that type of fit.

There's snug and there's snug. My suit fit me closely, but not snugly, per se. That is what I wanted. That is how I've always bought my suits.

I did buy a jacket that was a bit forgiving through the shoulders, as, at the time, I was a bit off my workout routine and I knew I'd be adding shoulder and upper back size. I also informed them I carry, and how I carry, so they put in just a smidgen >< of allowance in the waist of the pants and of the jacket.

They nailed it, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
You can actually learn something from TV. One thing I learned from the Spencer for Hire TV Series (it's in the Spenser novels too) is from Hawk, get your suits tailored wearing your gun so it won't print. He phrases it a little different, but same gist.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd wonder if I'm gaining weight or losing weight?

A salesperson in a hurry will let baggy pants out the door but the tailor, no.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post