SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to consider when buying a new suit?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to consider when buying a new suit? Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
if you don't have one and need a do-everything suit, go with navy.

I prefer Brooks Brothers and they have plenty under $400 at outlets or when they have sales.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ I agree Nordstrom is your best bet if you don't have it custom made.

Two things - most all suits bought off the rack have jackets glued together. This applies to high end names like Armani and others, just know they will not hold up after many cleanings or very hot and humid climates. Also, a custom made suit will fit you so much better than off the rack you would never want to gonthat route. You can get a custom made suit with quality material for the same or less than the high end names and it will look better because it will fit you better (as long as you are fitted correctly). Try Tom James for custom at a reasonable price.

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'm going to go out tomorrow and do what I hate to do most and that is shopping. Yuck

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been told that pants are mandatory with a suit. Even though I dispute that statement.

Just something else to consider.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Your first suit should be navy. It can be very formal or casual depending on shoes and will work for wedddings, funerals, or interviews. Your second suit should be grey. After that black, charcoal or patterns. Many places have good deals on suits, but make sure you get it tailored. A poor fitting suit won’t look good regardless of the quality.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Suits vary in price and quality. The two do not always correspond 1-1. A few things to look for if you are trying to find a 'good' suit.

Look for 100% Worsted Wool. This is a fine twisted wool fiber and is not scratchy as most think. Avoid polyester blended fabrics

Look for suit that comes as a set, coat & pants. Generally speaking suit separates are cheaper and also lower quality.

The pants should be long and not hemmed. They will be fit exactly to you by the alterations person or tailor

Satin or silk linings in the coat are preferred, a good suit will have the pants lined to the knee with the same material.

That should get you started....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Hart Shaffner and Marks Brand. I bought a couple 9'years ago. Still look like new and still get compliments pretty much every time I wear them.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Try T J Maxx, if there is an outlet in your area.
They vend overstocks and special orders from numerous manufacturers.
Dark blue or grey are always fashionable.
Wool is preferable to polyester.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

I prefer Brooks Brothers and they have plenty under $400 at outlets or when they have sales.

Agree. If you only have one suit it should be navy. Brooks brothers outlets have great deals as well if there is one in your area.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

Agree. If you only have one suit it should be navy. Brooks brothers outlets have great deals as well if there is one in your area.

We have an outlet 10 minutes away, I grabbed 2 of their traveler suits for under $900.

They fit well and are comfortable.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Pants are fairly easy, jackets are another beast all together.

The shoulders are extremely important, and make sure they fit right.
Make sure there's no shoulder dimple, as this cannot be altered.
Make sure the lapels lay flat, and there's no collar gap.
Wear a shirt and tie while trying on the suits.

A suit that's too tight will pull at the buttons, and ride the lapels open.
A suit that's too big will look like a square sack.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
I went through this exactly a year ago. I found that online is the way to go. I literally ordered 7 suits, found the two that fit best, sent the other 5 back and dropped 215 bucks on a tailor.

Don't wear off the rack. Get a tailor and even a Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein will look quite nice.

Just make sure it's not too small in the chest as that is not even worth trying to alter.

I wish online shopping had existed when I worked sales. Better variety and cheaper. Even look on Amazon.

Posts: 7139 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of sdf
posted Hide Post
https://www.indochino.com/coll...20Generic%3A%20Suits

I've heard great things about these guys.

Posts: 7139 | Location: Nevada | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Highspeedlane
posted Hide Post
I recently got two suits at Men's Warehouse. Overall it was an "okay" experience I guess. What I didn't care for was they try to upsell you at any opportunity, and if you use them for the tailoring it can take up to 3 or 4 weeks, so don't use them if you're in a hurry.

The other thing I'm not sure about is the salesman said the "style" nowadays is for the suit to fit somewhat snugly. I'm not a fan of that type of fit. If I gain 5 pounds I'll have to have them refitted Frown

Oh well, I have my suits now anyways.

Posts: 292 | Location: Kingston, MA | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Consider reevaluating the decision that led me to have to wear a suit Confused

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
It's all about the fabric and the fit if you want a suit to look good for a long time. Do you have a Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks 5th Avenue Off 5th store in your area? This is where these two high end department stores sell through their overstocks and last season merchandise. You can often find high end suits from makers like Zegna, Armani, Canili etc. in the price range you are looking at. Last call has a 40% off any one item sale a couple of times a year that can net you a really nice suit at a steal. You can call the store and inquire as to when they expect to have the coupons again. This will get you a better fabric and and better built suit. Find a reputable tailor to hem and adjust as needed.

This as well as Macy's does too. I try to find a quality suit that fits me the best right from the rack. Certain manufacturers each have a different fit and one that fits almost perfect and needs the least bit of tailoring seems to work out the best in the end and fits the best. A great tailor can only do so much to a crappy fitting (on you) suit. For example, I can pretty much pick up a Calvin Klein suit off the rack and it fits me perfectly and only needs the arms shortened and pants taken in at the bottom.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
they try to upsell you at any opportunity,

they do that for a reason ,
because they know very well that if you do not like the way that it looks, if you do not like the way that it fits or if you do not like the way that it wears,
you will not come back.

you get what you pay for,
$375.00 suits look like $375.00 suits,
and $1,400.00 suits look ,wear and fit like $1,400.00 suits.

I always started with the most expensive stuff first, I knew that the customer would be most satisfied with the best.

weather it was washers and dryers , men's shoes or wheel barrows

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear a suit everyday. a lot of good advice from others above. One added piece of advice: Get two pairs of pants for each suit you purchase if possible. Pants tend to wear the quickest (people take their suit jackets off when in the office, driving, etc). Going back later to add another pant to your still good suit is very difficult as the bolt of material your suit came from is no longer around and matching perfectly will be difficult to impossible.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One added piece of advice: Get two pairs of pants for each suit you purchase if possible.

very good advice indeed

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
P229 357SIG Man,

How did you make out on your search for a new suit?

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post