SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What to consider when buying a new suit?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to consider when buying a new suit? Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
It's about that time again, time to buy a new suit. I'm thinking charcoal gray is the most universal color...should be appropriate for most occasions. My question is, do I go to one of these finer clothier stores, suits starting at $500 or do I go to a Mens Warehouse type store and get the buy one suit get one free deal? It's $500 minimum either way. I can go years at a time without having to wear a suit but when I do, I like to look nice which leaves me leaning towards the $500 fine clothier suit. What do you look for in a suit, and where do you go to purchase it?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
It's all about the tailor. The wrong one can make a $2500 suit look like shit and a good one can make a $500 suit look like a million bucks.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Get whatever Howie Long wears! And make sure your built like him too.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It's all about the fabric and the fit if you want a suit to look good for a long time. Do you have a Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks 5th Avenue Off 5th store in your area? This is where these two high end department stores sell through their overstocks and last season merchandise. You can often find high end suits from makers like Zegna, Armani, Canili etc. in the price range you are looking at. Last call has a 40% off any one item sale a couple of times a year that can net you a really nice suit at a steal. You can call the store and inquire as to when they expect to have the coupons again. This will get you a better fabric and and better built suit. Find a reputable tailor to hem and adjust as needed.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'd been using Jos. A. Banks for a while. They do those Buy three and get x% off deals and such. I've found that the alteration costs kill any savings and in general, they're a little pricey for so so suits. The material is good, and can outlast the styling, which honestly isn't my ideal goal.

I've started popping through department stores and grabbing off-the rack deals. You have to find the ones that fit really well all by themselves. I tend to be able to pull that off. The styling is completely up to date, the pricing is cheap, and if they last half as long, that's fine by me. I wear suits every day now. Even the off the rack look good after a year, and I just keep adding new ones in every few months.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
A good dark blue suit is the start. Dark gray next.

Like indicated above, tailoring is critical.

If you keep a suit for years, it's an investment. Don't skimp.

I haven't bought a suit in years, but still have one I bought at Nordies. It was expensive at the time but I've certainly gotten my money's worth.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy American if you can. Hickey Freeman at Nordstrom will last a very long time.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Something I've done in past is buy used suits. Years ago I began patronizing a local haberdashery, the owner found me favorable (read poor) and offered to fit me to suits that had been traded in. I took advantage of that relationship for years.

I know of a couple stores locally that resell suits, shoes, belts, shirts and more on consignment; couple that with in house tailoring and you've got a terrific deal.

I prefer at least 100 super weight wools and higher, and canvassed backed jacket. Nothing like a suit that hangs wells. Choose a classic cut.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make damn sure it fits now matter what brand you pick. Have the store you buy it from have a tailor alter the sleeve and pant lengths to your body size. Pick a color that looks good on you (your choice) while you're at the store. If it's still in your budget... shirts, shoes, belt, and ties help the look. Tailor, tailor, tailor!

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
and when you a few bucks more in your pocket:

A Giorgio Armani suit.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I buy mine form Brooks Bros. and one thing to consider is the style of fit. More traditional and a little more full or more contemporary with a slimmer streamlined look. I have both styles.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Suit Supply. They will measure you at 40 separate points or something, you choose from a selection of fabrics and styles, and they taylor make a suit for you. My brother in law had an awesome tux made for his daughter's wedding this summer. Not too expensive, either, though more than $500.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Combatant Gentleman.

They're here in Irvine, and I've met the people that started it. Good people.

Their suits are half canvassed. You'd have to spend north of $800 at Nordstrom for a half canvassed suit.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Ive bought 3 from Joseph Banks with very good success. While I'm not the typical size and shape, each suit fit well off the hanger. Each was under $150. I wear a suit at least once or twice a week and both have lasted 5 years.

Charcoal is good for a solo suit.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suit supply is going good things for a fair price. Fit is key.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
It's all about the fabric and the fit if you want a suit to look good for a long time. Do you have a Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks 5th Avenue Off 5th store in your area? This is where these two high end department stores sell through their overstocks and last season merchandise. You can often find high end suits from makers like Zegna, Armani, Canili etc. in the price range you are looking at. Last call has a 40% off any one item sale a couple of times a year that can net you a really nice suit at a steal. You can call the store and inquire as to when they expect to have the coupons again. This will get you a better fabric and and better built suit. Find a reputable tailor to hem and adjust as needed.

This is exactly what I do. I have several Zegna and Canali suits and I got them all 30-60% off. Nordstrom has good sales. Buy quality, and it will last a long time. Ideally have more than one so you can rotate. Take the suit to a good tailor for final fitting and alterations.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
If you happen to be travelling through Singapore and some other Asian countries you can get a nice custom suit fast (~two days) and cheap.
I have never been in country long enough to try it but always thought it would be great to get a jacket or suit made like this.

HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
If you live anywhere near a reasonably sized city you will be able to find a tailor that will make you a great suit with high quality material for a reasonable price.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
...and avoid the too tight look or the one size smaller look. It's just a fad and will go away like the three button jacket. Stay away from the Micheal Irving style, too.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
suits are like holsters,
you might find three that do one thing or another , but finding one that does all three things could take a long while.

Suits need to be comfortable , look good and wear well.

I say go to Nordstrom, that suits that do two things very well will start at $900.00,

$1,200.00 will get you a suit that will wear well , look good and be comfortable.

they will also tell you how to care for it , which is very important

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post