SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why don't people vote????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why don't people vote???? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think that people who vote in all or most elections tend to be the best informed. And that's a good thing. After watching a fare number of "on the street" interviews of college aged young adults, I'm encouraged they don't vote. It's ridiculous that many don't know how many states we have, or who the VP is or are able to name one SCOTUS justice or who won the civil war. Yet if they vote, it counts the same as the most informed citizen's. I realize a lot of these interviews are manipulated to some extent to present the most inept for entertainment value yet there they are. These people need to stay at home.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Many are stupid like my SIL. I support her not voting. Hell, I support her with my taxes anyway.

I do vote, every damn time. Its too ofter, too. There is a scam going in some places where they intentionally place the vote at odd times. Those are the most important because they have a captive electorate, like the teachers unions, that wish to vote themselves more tax money. In places where there are a majority of renters, the voters don't pay the taxes, the owners do.

We have a problem in our election system where we have people voting that don't have a direct economic interest in the outcome. It cuts both ways, where if you work in a place but don't live there, you can't vote. So it tilts the scales to allow the residents to vote for you to pay more taxes. They get the benefit but not the burden.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18392 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Family members discussing voting a few years ago.
One ask the other if she voted, she replied no, I didn't know who to vote for. Did you vote? Yes I voted for xxxxxx, because he was the only one I had heard of. Roll Eyes

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Yes people need to get out and vote (besides Presidential elections) One of the reasons Democrats took the House. No? And we see the resulting shit show of today.
People who voted for President Trump could have voted for Republicans to keep the House. And no impeachment show we all had to witness.
Now we’ll see who votes who in Nov won’t we?

Posts: 1293 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've missed a general election since I was old enough to vote and I am 79 now. I have two kids, one is fifty and the other fifty five. To my knowledge, neither has ever voted? Roll Eyes
I wish this wasn't the case, but it is. If you even question them, they get pissed off.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Disturbing trend for sure. Never missed an election and don’t think any of my family have ever missed one. There is no reason not to vote...you can’t be too busy etc.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm excited to vote in Virginia, I've never voted in person before. Washington is all mail in ballots, easier to manipulate that way.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I too vote in every election. My city has me slated for, and sent an absentee ballot for all elections, just on the off chance that I can not make the physical vote.

Posts: 13696 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote every election. I’m glad others do not because, like others have said, they don’t pay attention to anything and will just vote randomly or read one headline for one candidate and vote for them. I think if 100% of the population was to vote we would probably not ever have another republican president because 70% or more of the population is lazy and would read “Sanders wants to offer free College degrees to everyone” in a headline and vote for him or someone like him.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
A lot of anarchist or even libertarian leaning folks think the entire system is rotten to the core and voting just legitimizes the evil and corrupt system.

This is true.
I know some of them. They cannot be convinced that if they do not vote they essentially support the GDCs and their own surrender of the freedoms they enjoy.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24260 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who is totally ignorant of politics or the goings on in the USA or the world. He is slightly right of center. Doesn’t like to talk about politics and has never voted. He literally could not care less. We only see each other maybe two or three times a year. As I’ve gotten older I have less and less tolerance for people like that.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3984 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have heard people say they dont or wont vote because they do not like any of the candidates.
Any of them. And I see that as a threat to our political system. No qualified candidates that people can put their faith in.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16192 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
No way I won't vote!!

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I did not vote once. I go exactly the government I deserved. Nixon, Watergate, resignation, and an unelected President.
Cured me forever.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6061 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Funny now that you mention it I do know a guy who thinks it’s all corrupt and won’t vote. I don’t disagree completely but would rather the corrupt asshole I more closely align with gets in vs the other heathen. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7743 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've missed only one Presidential election since 1972. 1988, I was going to vote on the way home from work but my pager went off, spent several hours on a fire, this was during my paid-on-call days.

And to those who say "My vote does not count", there was another proposal on this ballot that got soundly trounced, this one was a bit closer, it lost by 28 votes.https://www.livingstondaily.com/story/news/local/2018/11/07/voters-reject-howell-headlee-override-village-pinckey-millage/1891670002/

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8191 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean barring undue hardship in a given election or in the midst of moving real life reasons. Barring those why the hell don't people vote?

I have tried to vote in every election since I was 18 and I have damn near hit most all of them?

When you are young everything in life is more important.

The older we get the importance level increases.
As we get older we get wiser and for many more conservative.

That accounts for a lot of young not voting and more as you get older.

Now days with all the media coverage and intensified polarization of sides that may change some.

If you ever watch any of the man-on-the-street interviews you see how clueless many are - mostly the younger crowd.

We can blame them for the ignorance but I can't blame them so much for the lack of importance - I know when I was young it didn't consume me everyday like it does today. Frown

Posts: 23017 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote every election. Locally it can really count.

As to speaking to friends, right leaning only, I point out two things -

1 - the worst Republican has to be better than the opposition. No vote on your part is in essence allowing one more democrat to get a left leaning vote.

2 - If you don’t vote, you give up your voice for the next four years. I NEVER WANT TO HEAR YOU BITCHING ABOUT ANYTHING POLITICAL. You had your chance. You let someone else (who graduated in the lower half of their class) to decide for you.

Posts: 2138 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Around me, they seem to hold important local elections (eg Mayor) and bond measures at odd times such as March, May, or September even in odd numbered years when it could easily be simultaneous with national elections. On top of that, local fish wrapper does a shit job of publishing election info.

This is true in Michigan as well. The city of Grand Rapids, as an example, wanted to add a superfluous bus line to one of the main arteries of our city, that already has a fully operational bus line. The new and improved overlapping bus line however, would have a dedicated lane on this artery during certain hours, and would need all new buses and new stops with some kind of green technology-induced benches.

The good residents of the city voted it down TWICE, before the rats at city hall added it to a ballot that was voted on in one of the off-off-primary voting days, because they had calculated that only the douche-bags that see it as their job to grow rules/government/entitlements would get out and vote on that day.

And what do you know? We now own a second bus line that runs along a route that already had enough busing that the buses usually only have 1 or 2 people on them.

It's underhanded.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9170 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I always vote. So far at least.

I also think most of them are largely worthless creatures barely due even the most basic respect.

And, I double-plus-despise the very notion of career politicians. If ever there was a reason to simply distrust someone completely without ever even having met them, the desire to be a career politician is one such reason. They're almost "dead to me" just for running again more than a couple of times.

Do your service to country, do it well, and go the fuck back home in few years.

Ruling Classes of any sort are forever unacceptable.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post