SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ranger Truck seat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ranger Truck seat Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I have a very old ford ranger truck that I have kept up, and the driver's seat (whole thing) needs to be redone or replaced. This is not a "nice" truck, it's a beater, but I've kept it running nicely. So my question is should I look for a replacement from a junk yard (which I don't want to do), or would it be cheaper to take it to an auto upholsterer for a re-spring and cover job ? Or take it to a mechanic shop to source one from a junk yard and change it out ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that it’s cheapest to buy the part from a wrecking yard and install it myself. It shouldn't be that hard to do if the bolts that hold it down haven’t corroded in place. If it’s a bench seat it may be heavy and a bit of a wrestling match to get it removed and replaced.

If you don’t want to screw with doing the work yourself I’d take it to a couple of upholstery shops and ask them for estimates on repairs/replacements.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
What year is it? If it is one of Years the Mazda and ranger were the same truck then look for a Mazda and grab the seat. The Mazda trucks had two tone seats and most were taken better care of Than the work horse ranger.

Picked up Mazda seats for my 97 ranger in great shape for $60 at the local pull a part.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A junk yard is by far going to be your cheapest bet, problem is, most of them will be in the same condition of yours. Finding a good one is going to be tough.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A used seat from a salvage yard would be the cheapest, but the problem is finding a good one. Your seat may be worn out, but it won't have been sitting outside for years with doors or windows left open or missing, exposed to rain/snow and vermin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for salvage yard.
Maybe one where you can browse yourself & hope to find one with intact doors/windows that may be in better shape.

Another option would be something like LKQ.

If the foam/cushions/springs are still in good shape, maybe a nice seat cover. Wet Oklole, Clazzio, Katskin (in order of increasing price). All should be DIY-able.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
What year is it? If it is one of Years the Mazda and ranger were the same truck then look for a Mazda and grab the seat. The Mazda trucks had two tone seats and most were taken better care of Than the work horse ranger.

Picked up Mazda seats for my 97 ranger in great shape for $60 at the local pull a part.

It's a 98. I would imagine a used parts retailer would be able to figure out what years/models (mazda etc) would be bolt-in compatible with the 98 Ranger.

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Just take a look at oem seat covers on ebay. That will give you a clue as to what you are going to be spending at an upholstery shop. I just need to cover the bottom part of the seat on an 02 Econoline but the just the bottom cover for the drivers' seat is over $100. And the junkyard is a tough hunt for these as they are all pretty much worn the same as mine.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:

It's a 98. I would imagine a used parts retailer would be able to figure out what years/models (mazda etc) would be bolt-in compatible with the 98 Ranger.

The Mazda and ranger were identical from about 93 to 2002 the only difference was they said Mazda and had little extra things like two tone seat and the extended cab windows opened and the trim under the rear window have cup holders.

Mazda owners used them lightly and they can be found with nice interiors when you can find them in the junkyard most people don’t think to look at Mazda’s for ranger parts. rangers were used as a workhorse and rode hard and put up wet and most are trashed when you find them

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I predict you will be stunned by the price of a piss poor seat. A nice one will be unavailable at any cost.

I’ve gone down this road a few times.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
If the springs are broken in yours you can bet the wrecking yard ones are broken also.
If you were in Georgia, we'd go get material and I'd stitch you a new cover.

A direct fit cover is probably $200+.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mazda owners used them lightly and they can be found with nice interiors when you can find them in the junkyard most people don’t think to look at Mazda’s for ranger parts. rangers were used as a workhorse and rode hard and put up wet and most are trashed when you find them

Not true of all Mazdas! I have two that were bought new, a 2000 B3000 and a 2004 B2300. They are Mazdas because the Mazda dealer had better service department. Originally they were for my 62 mile one way commute, but now they are both used as farm vehicles, and are great reliable work horses. But the seats are broken in both. The 2000 Mazda had the latch mechanism fail on one side. No problem, just stuff a couple of boat cushions behind the seat, and we are good to go. The upholstery is solid duct tape, several layers thick, with a towel covering so it doesn't burn my legs in the summer time.

I will never sell either, as they will never make anything like them again. The Ranger and Madza are the spiritual descendants of the Model A pickups, which suits me just fine.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's a great tribute to a good old truck. The duct tape and towel is icing on the cake. Nice !

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
quote:

Not true of all Mazdas! I have two that were bought new, a 2000 B3000 and a 2004 B2300. They are Mazdas because the Mazda dealer had better service department. Originally they were for my 62 mile one way commute, but now they are both used as farm vehicles, and are great reliable work horses. But the seats are broken in both. The 2000 Mazda had the latch mechanism fail on one side. No problem, just stuff a couple of boat cushions behind the seat, and we are good to go. The upholstery is solid duct tape, several layers thick, with a towel covering so it doesn't burn my legs in the summer time.

I will never sell either, as they will never make anything like them again. The Ranger and Madza are the spiritual descendants of the Model A pickups, which suits me just fine.

I think I heard the Ranger was coming back. But I don't know if it will be a real decendant or not. Sometimes the name comes back but the essence of the vehicle doesn't. Like I heard the Bronco was coming back, but from what I remember about what I read, it won't be a real Bronco.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
quote:

I think I heard the Ranger was coming back. But I don't know if it will be a real decendant or not. Sometimes the name comes back but the essence of the vehicle doesn't. Like I heard the Bronco was coming back, but from what I remember about what I read, it won't be a real Bronco.

The Ranger that is coming back is pretty luxurious and expensive.

My B3000 cost $12,000 new in 2000; the B2300 cost $9,000 in 2006 with 6,000 miles on it.

America deserves affordable pick up trucks!!!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Explorer seats too. The Ranger, Explorer and the fox body cars all use the same bolt pattern so any seat will fit. My kid has a 98 ranger with a set of really nice Eddie Bauer seats from a wrecked explorer. They bolted right in.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post