SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many states have you been to, and how many have you lived in?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many states have you been to, and how many have you lived in? Login/Join 
posted
I have done a lot of traveling in my time, probably more than most. After my junior year of high school we moved from Ohio to Maryland, when my Dad got transferred for work. After that I was in the military for 4 years. After the military i spent about the next 8 years traveling a lot for work. I still hate to travel.

So I have lived in 7 states, and been to every state except Alaska and Hawaii.

How about you guys, how many states have you been to (spending atleast 24 hours there) and how many have you lived in?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithbc:
I have done a lot of traveling in my time, probably more than most. After my junior year of high school we moved from Ohio to Maryland, when my Dad got transferred for work. After that I was in the military for 4 years. After the military i spent about the next 8 years traveling a lot for work. I still hate to travel.

So I have lived in 7 states, and been to every state except Alaska and Hawaii.

How about you guys, how many states have you been to (spending atleast 24 hours there) and how many have you lived in?

Been to around 48 states and all Canadian provinces except Newfoundland. Lived in one state and one province.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Define "lived in".

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Never been more than 100 miles from home.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I’ve been to all 50 states, and lived in 5.

Posts: 1625 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Define "lived in".

Had a residence, received mail there,.....

Posts: 2221 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been to all 57, lived in five plus three more (one was AK) while in the Army.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithbc:
(spending atleast 24 hours there)

I was going to say 49 (or is it 56?) until I read that caveat. The only state I haven’t set foot in is Louisiana.

I’ve lived in 11 states and four foreign countries.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Only lived in Missouri and Iowa, I've been to about half the states, everything from Minnesota to Texas and most in between here in flyover country, only as far northeast as North Carolina and nowhere west of Kansas and Oklahoma other than Arizona a couple times and an overnight at a hotel next to LAX for work, but I've been to Hawaii and Alaska for about 10 days each. I've only been throughout Ontario for leaving the country, but have been all the way south to South Padre Island, seeing what I saw there gave me no desire to cross the border.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in nine. Been to all but a few.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in two. Been to 30.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I actually counted last week. Headed to New Orleans tomorrow, and Louisiana will make 32 states.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been to 48 (I have never been to Hawaii or Alaska) and lived in 26 (meaning I was there at least six months of the year).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Guam - obviously not a state, but US territory. This is the first US territory that I set foot in, in 1975, on the way to the US mainland.

CA - visiting relatives
FL - vacation & conference
HI - honeymoon
IL - conference
LA - conference
MI - visiting relatives
NV - conference & visiting relatives
VA - conference & visiting relatives
WA - visiting relatives

TX - the only state I've lived in.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived in one. Visited seven others.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Been to 28:
AR
LA
MS
AL
FL
GA
TN
MD
PA
NY
MA
VT
NH
ME
MO
IL
IA
TX
OK
NE
KS
NE
SD
NM
CO
UT
OR
AK
(Plus Washington DC)

Lived in 4:
AR
ME
NY
TX

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
By age 5 had lived in 5 or 6; have traveled in all but 2 or 3. Not DC either.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in NJ
Mover to NY shortly after
Then moved to MD
Moved to NY
Moved to VT
Moved to NY
Moved to MD
Moved to NC

I could elaborate on each move, but it would be really boring

Posts: 423 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Born in New Mexico; lived there for 6 months.
Then moved to CA. This past January moved to Texas.

Other than the above states, I have visited 8 other states.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've lived in 8 states and Mexico plus visited 43 states.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post