SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any folks here familiar with Audi A3 2.0T ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any folks here familiar with Audi A3 2.0T ? Login/Join 
posted
I'm considering an Audi A3 2.0T as a second, or 'toy' car. If it's as fun as I think it might be, it might get driven 10,000 miles a year as opposed to the 5 or 6000 that I originally thought a second car might be driven. The one I'm looking at is a 2016 with 21,000 miles on it now. If we drove it 10,000 miles a year, three years from now it would be six years old with roughly 50,000 miles. Would that still be in the 'safe' zone of not needing expensive repairs? I would think so. Don't know what kind of headaches the Quattro system brings with it. Are there any known problems with that 2.0 turbo?

I've always likes Audis and this may be the time to get one, unless it's likely to be an expensive lesson.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Keep up with proper maintenance and you should not have any major issues.

The Quattro system is rock solid.
I had almost 75k miles on mine when I got rid of it and never had quattro issues. Just keep all your maintenance done.

I would do the fluid intervals in the transmission and differentials a little earlier than the factory recommends just for a little insurance.

For a second car I would say go for it.
Those little turbo cars with Quattro are a lot of fun.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
The 2.0 turbo is nearly bullet proof. they are tuning them way past 400 hp safely. since it is a toy I highly recommend finding an APR tuner in your area, they can give it a modest bump, and make it more fun and get better mpg. The only issue with that engine is maybe a water pump, and mine needed it one it was under warranty. And the timing chain tensioner at about 75,000 miles is recommended.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
+1. Quattro is solid, proven technology. A3 historically gets good reviews - MT: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/a3/2016/. Should be still under warranty. That said, it's a complicated German car - want to definitely consider extending the warranty if you like it as a keeper; never drive a German car out of warranty is not just an empty saying. Ask me how I know....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
That said, it's a complicated German car - want to definitely consider extending the warranty if you like it as a keeper; never drive a German car out of warranty is not just an empty saying. Ask me how I know....

I hear you. Back in 1978 I bought a used Porsche 911 from a private party. I wanted to do an oil change first thing. Keep in mind that this was 1978 and I was doing the oil change myself. It cost $27. I knew then that I wasn't in Kansas anymore. That Porsche has kept me from jumping back into the German car pool all these years.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
My 2012 A4 wagon has the same motor and Quattro system. ~60k on the clock now. I do change the oil every 5k miles - stupid simple and clean to do with an oil extractor down the dipstick tube. Oil filter is on the top as well, and doesn't drip. Completely clean oil change in about 30 minutes (takes that long to get all the oil out).

My experience with German cars (VW Jetta VR6, Passat 1.8T, BMW Z4M, and my Audi) have been immensely reliable, but I am fastidious about the maintenance. They are not Japanese people movers that you can ignore (and also ignore you in the driving department). Treat them well and they'll likely do the same to you.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Audi has upped their game.

If you like the cars, and theres a lot to like, buy one.

The RS3 is a hot little number!

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Buy IT!!!

I am now missing my Audi

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like an A3 is a pretty good car and I shouldn't worry too much.

I emailed the dealer this morning concerning what looked like possible hidden fees. No reply. I was going to stop there tomorrow but I won't be doing that now. But the A3 2.0T has moved to the top of my short list for a second car. No rush right now though.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Another thing to do is look at CarMax and get their add on bumper to bumper warranty catered to your mileage and usage. They aren’t terribly expensive.

————————————————