SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    MacBook Pro first time battery charge 20+ hours?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacBook Pro first time battery charge 20+ hours? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Pulled the trigger on an M1 for the missus.

Battery was low on arrival. Left it charging overnight and it reached 42% at breakfast.

Estimate is another 20 hours charging.

Is this normal? reasonable?

Plugged the unit to the port closest to the screen.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I thought they were supposed to charge faster, I have a Macbook Air I got this year and it have never taken more than an hour to charge.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a tech article that says you should use the ports on the right side. Using the left builds up heat and slows down the CPU.

I would download a battery health app from the apple store and check the battery health.

I hardly use a mac but mine have always charged overnight without a problem.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't sound reasonable to me unless the Apple software is limiting the rate of charge. (My iPhone does this at times and it's a software feature to maximize battery life). I don't particularly like the feature.
I'd reach out directly to Apple if you can. Know you reside in Argentina or similar so that may not be easy in person but it's something you should be able to accomplish via the chat function with Apple support.
Good luck.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea, on it.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Pulled the trigger on an M1 for the missus.

Battery was low on arrival. Left it charging overnight and it reached 42% at breakfast.

Estimate is another 20 hours charging.

Is this normal? reasonable?

Plugged the unit to the port closest to the screen.

0-0

42% after overnight charging does not sound right, even with Optimized Battery Charging enabled, which is the default.

Turn off Optimized Battery Charging and it will charge faster. Optimized charging "learns" from your habits and only charges to 80% until it "thinks" you are ready to use it, then it goes on up to 100%. Since your M1 is new, it has not had a chance to learn anything yet. And the Optimized setting works best over time if you have a regular habit as to when you use the device. I keep mine disabled all the time.

The M1 MBP has only 2 TB-3/USB-4 ports, but each has its own separate bus, unlike the Intel TB setup that stacks two ports on a bus. Either of the two ports should work the same for charging.

The 61 Watt charger that came with the machine could be defective, or even the provided cable. What is your power like down there? The charger is rated to work with either 50Hz or 60Hz, 100V-220V AC power.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post