SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grant (Ulysses S. Grant)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grant (Ulysses S. Grant) Login/Join 
posted
‘Grant’ by Ron Chernow. I’m on chapter 3 (Audible)and highly recommend this book.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
If I may ask, what makes this book so good?

I ask because I don't have as much time to read as I used to before I had kids. Wink

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are ever in Illinois, go check out his home in Galena Illinois. Pretty interesting.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve not seen this biography, but the autobiography written by Grant himself is available, and the Kindle edition is $.99.

This autobiography was published by Mark Twain originally. Grant strove to complete it before succumbing to throat cancer. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik..._of_Ulysses_S._Grant

It’s got to be worth more than $.99!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chernows "Titan" was the best biography I'd ever read. Bought "Hamilton" thinking "oh joy". Couldn't finish it. Tried twice. But it did resonate with someone else who turned it into a world famous rap play.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Last year, I read Douglas Southall Freeman's biography of Robert E. Lee, and enjoyed it very much. Ron Chernow did a great job with his bio of George Washington, so I'll likely be picking up a copy of his treatment of General Grant.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed reading Grant. Enjoyed as in, "Oh boy, I get to read this some more". It's always a delight to find out something new about an important time in our history, and particularly when it overturns your previous uneducated opinion. That is the case with Chernow's Grant. The Grant who was such a failure at Fort Humboldt early in his army career--how can that be the same person who was Lincoln's indispensable general? Chernow explains that and much more.
By the way, when you get to Appomattox Courthouse you're only about 1/3 of the way through the book.
I liked it so much I sent my leftist brother a Kindle copy and he is enjoying it as well.
Hamilton was hard for me to finish; Grant was not. Now I'm on Chernow's Washington. Obviously I like his writing style and perspective on history.
OK, I admit I shed a tear at the end.

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of Grant, and have read much that has been written about him. I have not yet seen Chernow's book, but will read it.

Mark Twain referred to Grant as "America's best writer" after his autobiography was published. That is high praise coming from Twain! Gran't Memoirs is well worth a read, very complete and concise. I highly recommend it.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rch73:
I am a big fan of Grant, and have read much that has been written about him. I have not yet seen Chernow's book, but will read it.

Mark Twain referred to Grant as "America's best writer" after his autobiography was published. That is high praise coming from Twain! Gran't Memoirs is well worth a read, very complete and concise. I highly recommend it.

That may have been because Twain published Grant’s Memoirs, but from what I have read so far, Grant was a very talented writer, hopefully of non-fiction. He isn’t quite up there with Churchill, but is an engaging story teller, organized, with flashes of wry humor where appropriate.

The Memoirs was Twain’s greatest publishing success. His other publication was a book about, or by, the Pope which was a economic disaster, selling next to nothing.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, most likely Twain was enthusiastic because he wanted to sell books. That notwithstanding, the Memoirs are a great book and well worth reading in their own right. Grant did not write in the same sort of style as Churchill, who I also admire. Churchill is in a class by himself. Grant's style is very plain, down-to-earth and concise. It is virtually impossible to misunderstand Grant; he is just that plain-spoken. His orders to his subordinates are masterpieces of clarity.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rch73:
Yes, most likely Twain was enthusiastic because he wanted to sell books. That notwithstanding, the Memoirs are a great book and well worth reading in their own right. Grant did not write in the same sort of style as Churchill, who I also admire. Churchill is in a class by himself. Grant's style is very plain, down-to-earth and concise. It is virtually impossible to misunderstand Grant; he is just that plain-spoken. His orders to his subordinates are masterpieces of clarity.

I agree. Not in the same style. Churchill is in a class by himself with a pen, no comparisons.

I am reading the Memoirs right now, just downloaded this morning, and quite enjoying it indeed.

posted Hide Post
My daughters/grandchildren live a 5 hour one way drive from the Seattle metro area. I bought this book on Audible through my Amazon Prime membership to listen to while driving.

If I recall correctly, your first book with Audible is free as an Audible membership preview. I spent time determining which book I was going to listen to and selected 'Grant'. It's not exactly a short story so it would provide a good baseline. I have the Audible app on my iPhone so I can pick where I left off whether I'm driving, out for a walk with headphones or whatever.

I've come to understand and appreciate more about Grant and small tidbits of other Generals of that era, by listening to this book.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Will recently dedicated an entire column of his to how good Chernow's biography of Grant is.
His enthusiasm definitely put it on my must read list.

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
I received Ron Chernow's "Grant" as a gift from my sister for Christmas this year. I have not even cracked a page yet as I have 8/10 piled up all ready but, am looking forward to the read!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Some who read and enjoyed the Grant bio may be able to enjoy the library now open.

quote:
A former president and general who helped defeat the Confederate south during the Civil War will soon get a presidential homecoming in Mississippi.

President Ulysses S. Grant, who is perhaps best known for leading Union troops during the siege of Vicksburg, Miss., will soon have a presidential library in his honor. The Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library will open to the public on the campus of Mississippi State University (MSU) in Starkville later this month.

Grant, who was born in Ohio and lived in Illinois and New York, spent most of his time at war in Mississippi, according to the library’s executive director John Marszalek.

“His connection with Mississippi is during the Civil War fighting battles here, then later after the war he passed through here on part of his world tour,” Marszalek told Fox News inside the newly expanded library.

Marszalek is an expert on the 18th president of the United States and also serves as the executive director of the Grant Association, which collects copies of Grant’s letters and other writings.

Grant, who served as president of the United States from 1869 to 1877, played a pivotal role in the siege of Vicksburg in 1863. The battle split up the Confederate states and helped win the war for the Union Army. Marszalek says the Grant family became close friends with the descendants of a Confederate general named Stephen D. Lee. Lee was the first president of Mississippi State University.

“[Lee’s] family and the Grant family became quite friendly after the war was over,” Marszalek said. “When the statue of Stephen D. Lee was being established at Vicksburg, it was Fred Grant, Grant’s first born son, who gave the keynote address.”

Marszalek notes the decision to place the library at MSU was up to the Grant Association and its board of directors. He says the university was able to convince the association and its president, former Rhode Island Supreme Court Chief Justice Frank Williams, to move the collection of Grant artifacts to the university in 2008. Since then, the library was housed in a small space for researchers.

Curators and those in charge of the museum admit that there is a sense of irony that the library is located in Mississippi but also note that it will give visitors and researchers a unique opportunity to visit historic Civil War sites in the region.

Over 1,200 artifacts and manuscripts are held at the library. There are also 200,000 documents and 13,000 volumes of books related to Grant stored on-site. Curators have also added notes to many of the letters to give modern-day context to visitors and researchers. Visitors will also get a chance to try out TV-size interactive touchscreens with facts and information about Grant.

“As a part of the museum [we’ve] developed several different interactive [screens] that students will be able to use as they’re coming through the museum,” said Stephen Cunetto, the associate dean for university libraries at MSU. “It really gives them the history [and] the background of Grant and it’s actually narrated by James Earl Jones.”

As for any sour feelings toward President Grant after the Civil War, Marszalek says that’s not really the case.

“Is there some hard feelings? Sure, there always are hard feelings,” Marszalek said. “Generally speaking, our acceptance here at Mississippi State and in the state of Mississippi [among] governors and politicians and just the average person has just been wonderful.”

Members of the Grant Association, Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant and guests from the United States National Archives are expected to attend an opening ceremony for the library on November 30th.

Link