SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nike hitches their wagon to Kaepernick - name him the face of their 30th anniversary 'Just Do It' campaign - Ford backs Kaepernick & criticizes Trump
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nike hitches their wagon to Kaepernick - name him the face of their 30th anniversary 'Just Do It' campaign - Ford backs Kaepernick & criticizes Trump Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://bleacherreport.com/art...-just-do-it-campaign

Colin Kaepernick Named Face of Nike's 30th Anniversary of 'Just Do It' Campaign

Nike selected former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick as the face of its "Just Do It" campaign, which is celebrating its 30th anniversary.

Darren Rovell of ESPN reported the choice of Kaepernick, who started the movement to kneel during the United States national anthem to protest racial injustice in August 2016.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," he told Steve Wyche of NFL Media about the decision two years ago. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BamaJeepster,

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Great ad campaign for New Balance.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Looks like Nike just made it to my NEVER BUY AGAIN list.
I will now have to find out what other company's they own so I do NOT buy there stuff too.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Fuck Nike!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I don't get why a company like Nike would jump into such a polarizing stand and pissing off over half of their potential customers. Stupid, stupid!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I don't get why a company like Nike would jump into such a polarizing stand and pissing off over half of their potential customers. Stupid, stupid!!

Yeah, they will learn the hard way.

Stupid.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21842 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Nike makes the shittiest running shoes the store I work in carries. From now on, I won't even bother pulling any to show customers.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“A poll from NBC News and the Wall Street Journal released last week showed 54 percent of respondents deemed kneeling during the anthem "inappropriate," while 43 percent called it "appropriate."”

Why would a company even take such a controversial stance? Your mission as a company is to make money, and taking a stance that alienates half your potential customers doesn’t seem like a good busines decision.

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Seems like a terrible business decision. Taking such a stand in such a controversial issue isn't going to help the company.

He hasn't played ball in over a year and I don't think he was ever a top player(could be wrong here).

Will grab some popcorn and take a like at Nike's Facebook page in a little. Should be fun.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a relative that works for NIKE at the HQ in Portland.

Believe me, this is just the tip of the Liberal/PC iceberg at NIKE.

Agreed...stupid move.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barsad0:
“A poll from NBC News and the Wall Street Journal released last week showed 54 percent of respondents deemed kneeling during the anthem "inappropriate," while 43 percent called it "appropriate."”

Why would a company even take such a controversial stance? Your mission as a company is to make money, and taking a stance that alienates half your potential customers doesn’t seem like a good busines decision.

The executives who made this decision live in a bubble and an echo chamber. That 54% is not evenly distributed across the country. The places where they live and work, the support for Kaepernick is probably 90%+. They probably don't know anyone who doesn't support him. They don't realize that outside of the large urban centers and in the media echo chamber, Kapernich is loathed by normal Americans who buy their products.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
At last! Something that makes both of the Dassler brothers agree with each other?

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Jim
They're pandering. I guess I'll be that guy that says a lot of blacks covet Nike shoes, and go to lengths to get them.

Remember the "bait truck" story?

I'll add an unnecessary disclaimer I'm not stereotyping an entire race. Just the BLM Air Jordan thug component that identifies with Colin Kaepernick.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Retards.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30406 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Pandering is right, go to their homepage and count white models.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
One more brand NEVER to buy again. Mad

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
If I was Michael Jordan, I would be pissed.
He rarely waded through political waters, avoided taking sides whenever possible, because he is smart about marketing and business. This move could cut into his business with Nike.

And I can't stand their shoes anyways, haven't bought Nike since the early 90s.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope they see record losses; unlike the NFL, they will change their decision if the profits suffer, but the damage will be done.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15569 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Just Don't It.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I hope they see record losses; unlike the NFL, they will change their decision if the profits suffer, but the damage will be done.

I added them to my stock tracker to see what happens. It's entirely possible that they know their market and it's a good move for them. The "sneaker heads" I know are politically ignorant and only care about watching sports 24/7.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post