SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Trump Is Still Calling Sen. Warren 'Pocahontas'
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Trump Is Still Calling Sen. Warren 'Pocahontas' Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
If she had any gains from claiming native privilege, I wonder if they can Sioux her.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I see what you did there Mars-Attacks...

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
If she had any gains from claiming native privilege, I wonder if they can Sioux her.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
If she were striving to be an effective leader, shouldn't she be furthering the ideal that what is checked in the fucking box doesn't make any fucking difference?

She's also a shitty liar. When she says she didn't lie about her race for financial gain, she about has a conniption written on her face. That implies a conscience, and that is surprising.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another slam from the Wash Post! She may be done as a presidential candidate, but she'll keep her Senate seat forever.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.f56d58b6ed03

After new document is revealed, Warren struggles with questions of identity

By Annie Linskey and
Amy Gardner February 6 at 8:35 PM

Elizabeth Warren was a law professor at the University of Texas when she filled out a form from the state bar that asked her to list her race. Her answer, printed in careful block letters: “American Indian.”

Thirty-three years later — and days before the official launch of her presidential run — that newly disclosed document has emerged as a political flash point, forcing Warren to reckon with a question that has been dogging her for years and that she has never put to rest: why, through much of her life and legal career, she claimed to be Native American despite being white.

By Wednesday, after the bar registration card was published by The Washington Post, Warren faced new doubts about her viability in the presidential race, as activists and strategists evaluated how much damage the issue might do — especially given Democrats’ focus on finding a candidate who can defeat President Trump — and what she might do to move past it.

Liberal activists have long described cultural appropriation as hurtful, since someone is assuming the identity of a group without having faced the suffering or discrimination that group endured. The question is whether Democratic primary voters will punish Warren for actions for which she has apologized.

“This was about 30 years ago,” said Warren, when asked Wednesday why she filled out the bar form. She explained that as a girl in Oklahoma she’d learned stories about her family history from her parents and siblings, leading her to believe the family was Native American. “But that said, there really is an important distinction of tribal citizenship,”

For Democrats, the issue was long eclipsed by anger at Trump’s ridicule of Warren, especially his use of the nickname “Pocahontas.” But Warren’s presidential run, coming as she has struggled to explain her past claims of Native American identity, has prompted some Democrats to take a harder look at her own actions.

The matter now threatens to overshadow the image Warren has sought to foster of a truth-telling consumer advocate who would campaign for the White House as a champion for the working class. Instead, she is now seeking to combat the portrait of someone who for years was insufficiently sensitive to a long-oppressed minority. The matter also is arising at a time when issues of racial and cultural identity are increasingly sensitive in the Democratic Party.

Adding to Warren’s troubles are her fumbling efforts in recent months to get ahead of the issue. Many activists complained when she released the results of a DNA test showing she had a distant ancestor who was Native American. Warren apologized by phone last week to Bill John Baker, principal chief of the Cherokee tribe, though members of the tribe had mixed reactions.

“I’m not a member of a tribe,” she told reporters Wednesday. “I have apologized for not being more sensitive to that distinction.”

Republicans have sought to take advantage. Trump last week told the New York Times, “I do think Elizabeth Warren’s been hurt very badly with the Pocahontas trap,” noting that the controversy had undermined her credibility.

The Republican National Committee on Wednesday filed a grievance with the State Bar of Texas asking for “disciplinary action” against Warren for “lying and failing to correct a misrepresentation.”

The more immediate problem Warren faces is within her own party.

“To claim native identity — clearly it wasn’t the appropriate thing to do,” said Aimee Allison, founder of She the People, a group focused on electing women of color. “Was she trying to indicate her solidarity with the group? Why was it like that for her in the 1980s? I think she has more to say on that.”

There’s a long history in America of people making unsubstantiated claims to Native American heritage, a practice objected to strongly by tribal members as diluting their culture and shared experience.

“Everyone who cares about us as natives are welcome, but at critical moments those who have legal and cultural standing have a unique place with specific rights and responsibilities,” Chuck Hoskin Jr., secretary of state for the Cherokee Nation, wrote last week in the Tulsa World. “That is why it offends us when some of our national leaders seek to ascribe inappropriately membership or citizenship to themselves.”

The first known instance of Warren being identified as having Native American ancestry was in 1984, when her name appeared in a cookbook called “Pow Wow Chow,” compiled by a cousin to be sold at a fundraiser.

Warren listed herself as a “minority” in the Association of American Law Schools directory starting in 1986, and presented herself that way in the directory for nine years. That same year, she filled out the bar card, which The Post obtained via an open-records request to the State Bar of Texas.

There’s no indication that Warren gained professionally by reporting herself as Native American on the card. Above the lines for race, national origin and handicap status, the card says, “The following information is for statistical purposes only and will not be disclosed to any person or organization without the express written consent of the attorney.”

The AALS directories were used by law schools when searching for new professors, prompting some Republicans to charge that she was claiming Native identity to get ahead.

Warren moved from the University of Texas to the University of Pennsylvania in 1987. After she worked at Penn for about two years, the university changed her recorded race from white to Native American, school records show. Warren has told the Boston Globe that she requested the change, saying it was important for her to reflect what she believed to be her family heritage.

Several months after Warren started working at Harvard Law School in late 1995, Harvard recorded her ethnicity as Native American, according to university records reported by the Globe. The records include a memo showing that Warren signed off on the change.

Harvard continued reporting Warren as a Native American until 2004, the records show. Warren has never explained what happened that year to prompt the change.

Warren declined to say Wednesday whether there might be other documents that could surface in which she identified herself as Native American.

“All I know is during this time period, this is consistent with what I did because it was based on my understanding from my family stories,” Warren said. “But family stories are not the same as tribal citizens, and that is why I have apologized.”

Warren has previously acknowledged that she claimed Cherokee and Delaware heritage despite having only a distant ancestor who was Native American. But the Texas bar registration card provides the first visual evidence that she, rather than a staffer or other associate, claimed that ethnicity in a formal, professional context.

As she prepared for a seven-state presidential announcement blitz, it was not clear that Warren had a significant plan to confront the issue beyond continuing to apologize.

“There is no visible strategy for this,” said Joel Benenson, a leading Democratic pollster who advised the presidential campaigns of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. “When you’re in the eye of the storm, you don’t want things to drip, drip, drip.”

He added, “There is probably time for them to develop a better, more coherent and powerful story to deal with this. But they have to do it in short order.”

Warren, referring to her recent apology to the Cherokee chief, said it was deeply felt.

“This is from the heart,” she said. “This is about my family, my brothers, and it is about an apology from the heart, and apology for not being more sensitive to tribal citizenship and tribal sovereignty and for harm caused.”

Warren’s apology has been met with mixed reactions. “This closes the matter,” tweeted Keith Harper, a citizen of the Cherokee Nation and a former U.S. ambassador to the U.N. Human Rights Council. “Onward.”

But not all were pleased.

“I want to see it in writing,” said David Cornsilk, a historian and genealogist who is also a citizen of the Cherokee Nation. “I want her to go on national TV. I want her to do a video like she did to announce her DNA results. It just seemed very lacking.”

Rep. Deb Haaland (D-N.M.), one of two Native American women serving in Congress, said she did not fault Warren.

“I’ve lived my whole life with people self-identifying as Native American. I never questioned their identity,” said Haaland in an interview. “It’s not up to me.” She called Warren “a tremendous ally for Native Americans.”

For Warren, putting this chapter behind her is key to calming the nerves of Democrats who want a nominee who can present a strong challenge to Trump.

“I think she’s going to continue to be asked questions about that,” said Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii).

Sean Sullivan contributed to this report.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
After new document is revealed, Warren struggles with questions of identity being a lying Sacagawea

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Warren struggles with questions of identity

See how the left is playing this? Why is it her "identity" and not her "cultural appropriation for financial gain"?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Warren struggles with questions of identity

... not when she signs her paychecks!

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not attend her rally last night.

https://qctimes.com/news/state...rce=home-top-story-1

Warren: I’m not afraid of anyone, including Trump

Erin Murphy Times Bureau Feb 10, 2019 Updated 10 hrs ago

DAVENPORT --- Elizabeth Warren says she is ready for what might come her way in a potential 2020 general election fight with President Donald Trump.

She was given a hint of what that might look like when, after making her candidacy for president official this weekend, she was promptly greeted to the race by the Tweeter-in-Chief, who made a reference to Warren’s past claims of Native American ancestry.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Today Elizabeth Warren, sometimes referred to by me as Pocahontas, joined the race for President. Will she run as our first Native American presidential candidate, or has she decided that after 32 years, this is not playing so well anymore? See you on the campaign TRAIL, Liz!

Iowa Democrats have said one thing they’re looking for in the expansive field of 2020 candidates is someone who can defeat Trump in the general election campaign.

“I’m not afraid of anyone, and certainly not Donald Trump,” Warren said.

Warren discussed that, as well as health care, economic and agricultural issues in an interview with the Des Moines Bureau ahead of her campaign event in Davenport Sunday. She also held events Sunday in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.

Warren said she is confident her populist economic message will be well-received in Iowa, which swung significantly from Democratic President Barack Obama in 2012 to Trump in 2016.

A main theme of Warren’s campaign has been creating a federal government that works for all Americans, not just wealthy individuals and large businesses.

She said that fight is what will help define her in the ever-growing field of Democratic candidates --- 11 candidates are running or have formed an exploratory committee, and many more are considering.

“I don’t pick these issues because they poll-tested well. This has been the fight of my life,” Warren said.

Warren said she thinks her message translates well to rural Iowans. She said agri-business mergers and consolidation has put financial stress on family farms by shrinking markets.

“That’s what happens when the federal government doesn’t enforce antitrust laws, when it doesn’t break up monopolies and trusts, when it doesn’t push back against illegal business practices,” Warren said. “The people who get hurt are not the big guys. It’s the medium and small farms.

Until someone in Washington is willing to put people in place in the justice department, in the Federal Trade Commission to enforce those laws, not just once or twice but every single day, small and medium farms across America are going to feel the squeeze even harder.”

On health care, Warren described a plan that included immediate steps like protecting the Obama-era federal health care law and addressing high prescription drug costs before getting to the ultimate goal of larger health care reform.

“How do we get ourselves to complete coverage at the lowest possible price? Medicare is our best way of doing that,” Warren said. “Our obligation is clear: health care coverage for everyone at the lowest possible cost to all of us. No one should go bankrupt because of a medical problem.”

She noted her legislation that aims to drive down prescription drug prices and said she supports capping the amount an individual pays in prescription drug costs at $250 per month --- after which a “national insurance pool” would cover the costs --- allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices and lowering the Medicare enrollment age.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Davenport rally, second article:

https://qctimes.com/news/local...-fcf9bef14627.html#1

Sen. Elizabeth Warren brings populist message to Davenport

Bill Lukitsch
blukitsch@qctimes.com
Feb 10, 2019 Updated 3 hrs ago

Fresh off her formal announcement that she wants to be the Democrat to defeat President Donald Trump in 2020, presidential candidate U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren on Sunday made her case before hundreds of Quad-Citians as she ended her daylong tour of eastern Iowa.

“I think the biggest problem facing America today is that we have a country — a government — that works great for those at the very top,” Warren told an assembly of around 250 people at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds in Davenport. “It works great for those who already have money. It works great for those who can hire armies of lobbyists and lawyers. It’s just not working for much of anyone else.”

Warren was on hand after events in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids, where she kicked off her run for president one day after formally announcing in her home state of Massachusetts.

The topics of the evening came right from the menu of Warren’s usual economic populist talking points: affordable housing, the federal minimum wage, organized labor rights. And there were calls to enact laws addressing climate change, and reduce the influence corporations can have on political campaigns.

Most of the night was devoted to a round table-style discussion with local labor leaders, many of whom decried recent policy changes in the state as anti-organized labor.

“The laws are stacked against us,” said Tracy Leone, with the national Teamsters union. Leone pointed to recent changes in the state law about union recertification and cases where contract negotiations between unions and companies span years as examples of a need for more laws benefiting organized labor.

Before her weekend presidential announcement, Warren had already given signals about her intentions to run for president by forming an exploratory committee and making visits to key early voting states. On Saturday, she made her bid official in Lawrence, Mass., the site of an historic early 20th century labor strike.

With a year to go before the Iowa caucuses, Warren is among the more well-known contenders in a growing field of declared Democratic candidates who say they want to be the nation’s next president.

Also running are Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey, Sen. Kristen Gillibrand of New York and former U.S. Rep. John Delaney of Maryland. And Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota made her announcement to run for the office on her home turf Sunday.

After the event, dozens waited in line to get a photo with Warren against a backdrop of American and Iowa flags.

Among those attending Sunday was Ed Reede, 70, of Davenport, who’s retired after careers in the military and civil service. Reede said Warren seems to be “headed in the right direction” much like other Democrats eyeing the presidency, saying he hopes to see a presidential candidate show greater support of the country’s aging infrastructure.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
yeah, but thats unfair to the real Pocohontas....

Exactly!

Better: Liawatha, Fauxahontas,

Running slow this morning, coffee has not kicked in yet.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Warren told an assembly of around 250 people at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds

Bwaahhhaahhaahhaaa. I've had parties that big.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post