SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You never know who you'll find on...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You never know who you'll find on... Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted
... an airplane. Today I happen to be sharing a flight with Steve Yzerman.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sweet. I seem to only share flights with crazy people.

Did you beg him for an autograph?

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. From where to where?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Tampa to Detroit

343 - Never Forget

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Tampa to Detroit

Well that makes the most sense I guess. Maybe he won't make the return flight... Big Grin

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Don't follow hockey, so had to look him up.

Many years ago, shortly after he retired, I was on a flight with Colin Powell from DC to Orlando. It was funny -- I saw him walking with an aide through the National terminal, and on recognizing him, even in a civvy suit, people would stop and point and whisper to each other. We ended up on the same flight (he rode coach). I followed him a ways through the Orlando terminal, and there he was invisible -- just another black dude in a suit.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I once flew San Jose to LAX seated in front of Jerry Rice. My wife flew to LAX seated across from Robert Redford, said he is a world class jerk.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If I recall he still has a home here in Detroit

343 - Never Forget

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I once shared a seat in first class with Natalie Portman from Seattle to JFK. I have to tell you that it was the most pleasant four hours I've ever spent on an airplane. She was a sweetheart, despite being a leftwing nut-job.

I'd marry that woman tomorrow.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I flew to Japan with Cal Ripken Jr, aisle seat across from aisle seat. Worked up the courage to ask how major leaguers and their managers actually work together during a game.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
That's really cool.

Did you give him your patented Metallica greeting?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23242 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Shared a flight with Paul Shaffer (of Late Night with David Letterman fame) a while back. He was already seated in first class when I walked onto the mostly empty plane, but I honestly didn't realize who it was until the flight was over.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The late great Bob Hope.

I was one of his pilots back in the 1960s on a charter flight when he was receiving an honorary Doctorate at Monmouth College.

He was a very gracious gentleman. He took a few minutes to shake hands with us and make some pleasant small talk.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
He was a very gracious gentleman. He took a few minutes to shake hands with us and make some pleasant small talk.

I'm sure he was. Only a dumbshit want to piss off the pilot. Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Last season during the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs, I was taking the train home to Dallas from Fort Worth and a guy got on at the stop that has a shuttle from DFW. He was wearing a sport jacket with the Tampa Bay Lightning logo.

Having refereed and worked administratively in the upper minors for years, I asked him his name.

Damn if it wasn't a scout for the Lightning who'd played with my cousin in Juniors and on Team USA in the 1976 Canada Cup series.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I flew to Japan with Cal Ripken Jr, aisle seat across from aisle seat. Worked up the courage to ask how major leaguers and their managers actually work together during a game.

What did he say?

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and i were on a flight with Stevie Wonder (was in first class about 4 seats in front of us). Stevie and his manager got up to go to the head or something and the gal next to me started waving like she was trying to fly. I mentioned that he could not see her and my wife almost lost it. Great flight after that especially when he came back to his seat and she swore they had eye contact.

Posts: 245 | Location: Ventura, California | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Flight back from Spain with Kevin "Chuck" Connors across the aisle. A true gentleman in every sense of the word. We talked mostly about the Air Force, the Army and baseball....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post