SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removing dimples from 870 mag tube
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing dimples from 870 mag tube Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Drill. Dremel to smooth the insides. Touch up with round file if needed. Cold blue.

It's really pretty simple. I've done a few, and will be doing another in the near future. Just be sure to plug the tube just below the dimples with a wad of paper towels to contain the metal shavings, and then clean out the tube well after you're done.

The socket method can screw up your magazine tube in several different ways, which requires a trip to a gunsmith or the factory to pay to have a new mag tube braised on.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My older TC does not have the dimple but has a hole.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I used a Dremel to grind and then polish. It’s very important to ensure the spring moves smoothly.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.brownells.com/guns...gauge-prod75328.aspx

This is what I have used this and it works well.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I watched several videos, but I trust the wisdom and knowledge of the forum over some of these “experts” on YouTube.

Looks like the drill and Dremel method will be my path. The Brownell tool is great..if you do a lot of them, but not spending $50+ for a one time job.

Thanks all!!!

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$35.99 seems excessive for what is just a piece of metal. A similar size piece of metal sold for a non-gun purpose probably would sell for $5. But the Brownells brand version at $82.99 is insane.
quote:
Originally posted by am94pm:
https://www.brownells.com/guns...gauge-prod75328.aspx

This is what I have used this and it works well.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the wealth of knowledge and advice.

Today my 12-year-old son and I successfully drilled out the dimples and got the internal tube smoothed out using our hobby/RC files.

My son thought it was all pretty cool...even cooler when I told him that it’s his 1st shotgun...870 Youth Compact in 20 gauge.

His reply...”Wait, so my first gun is a tactical shotgun??? Freaking a awesome!!! Thanks dad!”
Cool

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Drill them and smooth the holes.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post