SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removing dimples from 870 mag tube
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing dimples from 870 mag tube Login/Join 
posted
Like the title says, has anyone on the forum removed the dimples on a Remington 870 mag tube? I want to add an extension for a few more rounds.

Looks like there are two methods - drilling and “leveling” them out with a socket inserted into the tube and hammering away.

Anyone know of any other methods? I’m leaning towards the drill method...

Thanks!!!

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I used the socket. Worked perfectly and no problems....

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
I used the socket. Worked perfectly and no problems....

Interesting do you have any more details.
What size socket.

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
How’s the socket method work? What is done?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I drilled some on an old Sportsman 48 I had. Simple and effective. Would do again if looking to do so.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells a tool specifically for removing the dimples. You have to be careful with using a socket, because you can expand the tube too much.

Posts: 1219 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I drilled mine and then took a sanding disk on a dremel tool to clean the edges. I then covered the exposed metal with cold blue.

Pretty sure Brownell’s makes a specific dent raiser tool.

quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
How’s the socket method work? What is done?

Pretty sure you take a socket (forget what size) and you line it up in the tube and slowly hammer it into the tube the socket will push out the dimples as it passes, then pull the socket out.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also used a Dremel, ground them out.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think you would have to fit the socket to your tube by trial. The socket size doesn't exactly determine the outside diameter.

Posts: 1499 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
What about the muffler pipe expanding tools that have a screw type wedge of multiple sections?

https://www.harborfreight.com/...TEAQYASABEgIPB_D_BwE

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gocatgo:
I also used a Dremel, ground them out.

This (a little at a time with a sanding barrel) + cold blue as mentioned above

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Everyone loves the socket method because you have sockets on hand but it's the least preferred.

That's because as you're pounding on the socket you're putting stress on the mag tube that's brazed into the receiver. That tube is thin too.

Drill and smooth is highly preferred

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

Skip to 3:30

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Drilled and dremeled worked great.

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has dimples, why would I want to get rid of them. They make me smile. Wink

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Drilled, smoothed, cold blued.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
What about the muffler pipe expanding tools that have a screw type wedge of multiple sections?

https://www.harborfreight.com/...TEAQYASABEgIPB_D_BwE

Way too big.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn’t answer earlier. This was 12 maybe 13 years ago. It was trial and error to find the right size but I took my time. I believe one of the final sockets was metric- so yes it will vary. I even used a lubricant to keep it gradual. Honestly I don’t even remember reading that I could have screwed it up so..... lucky me I guess. I usually do things myself because it’s enjoyable, not to save $. I would probably do it myself again but maybe try another method. Something fun about simplicity though and a mallet is pretty simple lol.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Drilled & dremeled here. It was (and is) the ugliest 870 in my house to begin with, The barrel ring covers the work-- not much chance of debris finding it's way in-- and took about ten minutes, tops.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I just used a round hand file on the inside. It was way simpler than I had expected.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post