SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frozen Shoulder
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frozen Shoulder Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you actually have frozen shoulder the answer is simply time. If you look at a plot of resolution it centers on a year but its a bell curve. Nothing else will actually do the job.
But if you are in real pain frozen shoulder is not your diagnosis.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My frozen shoulder never hurt if I didn't move it into the pain zone. Moving it out gave relief

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had it after having my left arm in a sling for a month. Nothing seemed to work, but then went to a acupuncturist/osteopath. He use needles/acupuncture, a hot laser to warm the area, then a shot of cortisone.

After 20 minutes of waiting, he came in and lifted my arm up, breaking loose the adhesions. I did a few stretching exercises later. Basically I was @90% the next day.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
So, 200mg ibuprophen, and 500 mg acetaminophen.. I am guessing 3x's a day?

Certainly willing to try. Thanks!

I fucked myself up on ibuprofen due to a shoulder injury and then surgery. I took ibuprofen rather than opiates as I was afraid to get hooked. I took 2-3 800 mg pills a day for 8-9 months . Shortly after I developed Ulcerative colitis. Gastrointerologist said they weren't related but not sure I believe it was coincidental either. Ibuprofen will help but be careful. Tylenol did nothing for me.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had it. Could not move arm above shoulder height, could not reach behind back. Not a lot of pain, just when tried to do the above. Went to hospital and was put under and had a one minute procedure. The doctor told me he took her arms and move it every way possible for about a minute. Basically broke loose the frozen shoulder. Wife woke up with pain and then when fully awake was discharged at home we went. Next day PT to keep moving the arms every direction, yes it hurt. Had to use rope and Pully to help move the full range or motion. Pain got less, need for assist to achieve full range of motion kept getting less every PT session. 4 weeks of PT And three more at home and everything back to 100 percent

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Had AC for about 14 months at age 43. I could sleep only with my arm straight down my side. I was lucky in that the pain wasn't too bad as long as I didn't move my upper arm away from parallel to by body. Hard to do on a ship. I remember reflexively grabbing at a pair of binos sliding off a chart table and the pain was so bad I nearly lost consciousness. I did a week of PT and then started doing the exercises on my own. Don't know if they sped up the process or not but I assumed since they hurt so bad they must be doing something.
Hope you get relief soon. You have my sympathy.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Had it 2 years ago right about the same age that my mom had it.

No surgery or drugs for me, just a former figure skater for a PT who had a grip that could deform iron. The deep muscle work was excruciating, but worked. I still have no idea how she could pack so much strength into non-Popeye forearms.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Helpful ideas, thank you all.

I have been doing tylenol and ibuprophen last day and a half... , pain is still there...

Tried doing more PT movements, little past the pain. Then ice 4x's a day.

Will get 2nd surgeons opinion on Monday am.

Spoke to a PT friend, he says most folks who have surgery wonder why they waited so long.

My orig surgeon is the reason I have been hesitant. I am finding quite a lot of data that says you should be in PT after a shot of cortisone, maybe wait a week, he has had me doing nothing for 4 weeks. No wonder it is becoming more immobile. Of course, he may be right, will see what second opinion says.

The never ending pain is very difficult to carry on with normal life. :-/

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife fought it for a couple months. Primary care Doc diagnosed as arthritis. When it got to the point of not sleeping and hurting all the time, he referred her to an Ortho guy. I think the torn bicep is what was causing most of the constant pain. Pain was in the shoulder and shoulder blade area. Could see it on the Ortho cam. Don't know if it showed on MRI
If you have surgery, you may wish to pre-purchase a cyro cuff or an Ossur cold rush. We ended up with both. Couldn't get a snug fit with the cyro cuff.

Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Surgery scheduled for the 3rd...

Was going to do it next tuesday, but couldn't get PT lined up with the holiday.

He will manipulate and scope only if absolutely necessary. The PT that night, and every day for 4 days.

He said if I don't, the pain will eventually resolve, but could take up to two years, and I may never regain my range of motion.

I feel very confident in his diagnosis.

Thanks!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gman45acp:
My wife had it. Could not move arm above shoulder height, could not reach behind back. Not a lot of pain, just when tried to do the above.

Yep, I had this a couple of years ago, left arm. Absolutely no idea what caused it. I opted to follow the doctor's procedures for self-PT. Every night stretching as much as I could. It took almost a year for it to go away and I have about 95% of the motion back. Not 100% but it's good enough.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck.
It's gonna suck