SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Catastrophic fires in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County CA
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catastrophic fires in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County CA Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This morning was pretty rough as the smoke has mixed with the more humid air resulting in a Beijing thick smog sitting over the town. Hopefully, that'll allow firefighters to get an upper hand as winds are expected to pick-up later.

Last night I was able to hike up a hill at one of the popular dogs parks and the eastern hills around Napa were all lit-up, very Mordor looking with the angry orange glow of the various fires burning. Through binos it was disheartening seeing various houses, go up in flames, the bigger the home, the bigger the flames shot-up in the sky.

Drove up around Yountville checking on a friend's place, that fire crept down the hillside from the East into the valley, looked like flowing lava. Various wineries in the Stag Leap area will be affected if not, destroyed; that's very, very good wine for those not aware.

That's it for now, power and cell service is still out, time to go get more ice.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Damn, it sounds like a little slice of hell going on out that way. Have they determined what started it?

Best of luck to all affected!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Good luck and best wishes. That is Beautiful country and this fire is aggressive. I hope you and your families stay safe and have your properties to go back to.

Too many disasters in last month.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sad to see this destruction. The wife and I have been blessed to visit Napa and Sonoma a few times over the years and hold a special place for the area in our hearts. My thoughts and prayers go out to those of you impacted.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well, my wife's family home in Rincon Valley is intact. Just very smokey inside. Lots of smoke in the air in Sebastopol. Police still keeping people out of burned areas--or maybe just seeing if they belong.

Yes, Stag's Leap is a rightly famous winery, and their beautiful manor house burned in the fire.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got power and cell service. I was fully expecting services to be restored later in the week but, we'll see how it holds up.

Very good to hear about your wife's house sjtill. Rincon Valley was right in the target zone. Is there any danger of the newly formed Oakmont fire to the south?

Rutherford is ok. Just south of St Helena but, north of Stag Leap, that area seems to have escaped the flames.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
anyone have any idea how this all started?

apparently there is also one in the Anaheim Hills area - saw a sign on 15N today saying that 24 was closed due to fires...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two fires in Sonoma County have merged and are coming over the hill into Napa County. The Yountville Veterans Home is being evacuated now. The fire that went through East Napa on Sunday night is going into Solano and is supposed to reach Hwy. 80.

The Nuns fire in the Sonoma Valley is going over the hill into southeast Santa Rosa. With 35 mph winds predicted for the next 36 hours or so, this is going to get very very bad before it gets any better.

There is 0% containment on all these fires.

If you are the praying type, we could use them tonight.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
Two fires in Sonoma County have merged and are coming over the hill into Napa County. The Yountville Veterans Home is being evacuated now. The fire that went through East Napa on Sunday night is going into Solano and is supposed to reach Hwy. 80.

Yup, just got a text from a friend here in town, he's packing up the family and getting the hell out of Dodge. Mandatory evac just hit the first neighborhood in Napa proper.

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

apparently there is also one in the Anaheim Hills area - saw a sign on 15N today saying that 24 was closed due to fires...

Lots of fingers starting to be pointed at Pacific Gas & Electric for not trimming trees enough near major power lines. 50 mpg winds apparently blew lines against trees, starting multiple fires

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Because of the emergency, the last two P2V Neptunes that were officially retired just nine days ago are going back on the fireline in California:
http://missoulian.com/news/loc...rce=home-top-story-2

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTJbyrd:
Because of the emergency, the last two P2V Neptunes that were officially retired just nine days ago are going back on the fireline in California:

I saw one of them this morning. I guess they're getting water from Lake Sonoma, up by Healdsburg.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law asked my wife to put a sprinkler on the roof of the family home. She did...now we agreed she's going back to turn off the water, take a few things and get out. Even if the fires don't come back, the area is very smokey; it's unhealthy and unpleasant. We'll try to get her to Davis and I plan to fly up to Sacto to drive with her back to SD.

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calistoga and Sonoma are mandatory evac as of this afternoon. My coworkers parents live just east of Sonoma plaza and finally bugged out today. National guard driving the streets with loudspeaker telling folks to bail. I spoke with several clients today that have no house now. I have multiple friends of friends and colleagues and clients who have lost everything. Winds are forecasted to be shifting to the worse tonight. Could get worse before it gets better. Emotionally exhausting talking to people who lost everything.

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CalFire chief basically said,'It's gonna get worse before it improves.' Sobering

Here in Napa, things are chugging along as normal as can be. Business' are open and nobody is freaking out. Air quality has been horrendous, if you're not wearing a respirator you should have a surgical mask or, bandana on. The smoke is thick enough that the sun was orange all day. No winds and cold evening/morning temps have tamped things down and allowed fire crews to build contingency plans and reinforce lines.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by MTJbyrd:

I saw one of them this morning. I guess they're getting water from Lake Sonoma, up by Healdsburg.

P2V's take retardant from tanker bases, not water. They don't land on the water.

I was based in the area for the later half of the fire season this year, but we were released a week ago and sent home. No indication that we'll be going back.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
The smell of smoke filled the air, and hazed the sun, in Silicon Valley today.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

Lots of fingers starting to be pointed at Pacific Gas & Electric for not trimming trees enough near major power lines. 50 mph winds apparently blew lines against trees, starting multiple fires

Wow, that sucks. so many fires in so many different locations.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a lot of pics here

http://www.sfgate.com/news/art...4.php#photo-14321692

IMAGE 82 OF 95 The remains of the homes in the Coffey Park neighborhood are seen from the air in Santa Rosa, Calif. on Tuesday, October 10, 2017.

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers lived in Coffey Park. Haven't seen him all week and nobody knows what happened to him.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post