SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Catastrophic fires in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County CA
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Catastrophic fires in Santa Rosa, Sonoma County CA Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
My wife had to evacuate from her family home where she was doing some cleanup work. Fires have destroyed many homes in the city of Santa Rosa. Started in Calistoga, Napa County, but high winds took fire to north edge of Santa Rosa.
Wife is fine, now at my sister's place.
Hundreds of homes destroyed.
Compared with 20-30 years ago there are now many more people, more expensive houses.
But this is not a typical fire in the hills, this hit directly in the city.
Kaiser and Sutter hospitals had to be evacuated. Local arts center burned down along with the communities around it--where we had dinner a few nights ago.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wow. Wishing the best for all under the circumstances.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Wow would not wish that on anyone. Many years ago had a Aunt and Uncle that lived in Santa Rosa. Lots of people and homes around even back than.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
My aunt and her boyfriend just evacuated from Santa Rosa. Sucks, nice old orchards on their property

Last really big fire in the Calistoga area was early 60s - burned my grandparent's land, but not the house (they were out in Franz Valley area)

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of the fires. Hope they get them controlled soonest! Frown

Visited Luther Burbank's house there a while back. Santa Rosa was lovely.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping track of this, I have some family members who have parents in Sonoma and Santa Rosa.
Napa is on fire too.
I'm hearing that the fires are basically 0% contained, firefighters are just trying to get folks the hell out. Winds are not helping, same with pumps shutting down, etc. 1500 homes lost so far.
And it is not over.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last really big fire in the Calistoga area was early 60s - burned my grandparent's land, but not the house (they were out in Franz Valley area)

I remember that one well--friend and I went from Sonoma State to help fight fire, spent much of the night out in Franz Valley area.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Evacuating patients from Kaiser hospital in Santa Rosa:

Thoughts and prayers for the people caught up in this.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I spent many weekends and holidays in that hospital, and my Mom finally died there in 2008. So yeah, this area is very close to my heart. Both my wife and I grew up near Santa Rosa.

posted Hide Post
I'm in Napa it's been a crazy the last 12-hours. Winds picked up around 19-2000; I went to bed a bit later, woke up to the smell of campfire, went to close windows. Pulled up the blinds and low and behold the whole Western Ridge line was glowing orange with a ribbon of flames at the bottom. Power went out around 3am, cell service disappeared around 0600

Initial reports was focused on the Atlas Peak fire on the Eastern edge of Napa Valley and Lake Berryessa...I heard Silverado CC no longer exits. There was supposed to be a PGA event this weekend...guess not now.

The fire up in Calistoga, went westward and got into Santa Rosa, I also understand the Fountain Grove neighborhood (upper middle-class development) was wiped out. Walmart, Trader Joe, Home Depot... either gone or, burnt badly. Two hospitals evacuated. The fire jumped Hwy-101 Eek

My porch faces westward and this fire was burning Eastward towards the town of Napa and Westward towards the town of Sonoma. Watched a massive home up on a ridge go up in flames...it was like a lighthouse, burning for about 5-hours. Carneros and all the wineries along Hwy-12 are threatened if not gone.

Another fire is burning north of Sonoma, it's threatening if not already destroyed the towns of Glen Ellen and Kenwood area. Heard there was a herculean effort by all emergency personnel in moving the high number of senior retirees that live there, out of the area.

Also heard areas around Healdsburg and Alexander Valley are dealing with fires that could easily wipe-out homes/business.

Hope power is back on, otherwise, time to breakout the camp stove.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A bad deal. Prayers for those affected.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This really sucks, I have several good friends in Napa who are affected by this, I used to live at Elm St. and Roosevelt, very close to the hills on the west side of Napa. One good friend lives off West Pueblo and Oakwood ct. She is very worried that she may lose her home. Her husband passed away earlier this year and I don't know if she will be able to get thru this.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My mother lives about a mile from where the fire attacked the northern part of Santa Rosa. Some friends are at her house because the fire threatened their own home--and it's probably lost at this point. I've been choking on smoke all day and I'm 11 miles west of where all this is happening.

When I first heard it was a wildfire, I assumed it would be up in the hills or closer to the Calistoga area but it's actually within the city of Santa Rosa, itself. In fact, it jumped Hwy 101 to burn down part of a shopping center on the west side of the highway.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the fires part of the natural cycle of the forest, or something else?

Regardless, prayers for everyone to be safe. The fire crews do an amazing job.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of dry brush to burn, but I don't know if it's arson. There haven't been any thunderstorms that I know of that might have touched off fires by lightning.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ask because eventually, dry, dead brush has to burn. It seems inevitable. I was thinking once it does, you're in good shape for few years.

Just heard my friend's parents just evacuated their Santa Rosa home.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Orguss, I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's house. And Corsair--hope everything is OK for you.

We don't know at this point if the fire got my wife's family home or not; that area was "impacted" is all I can find on the news.

We'll find out in a day or so, as long as it doesn't get worse again.

Update 5:00 pm PDT: 9 deaths reported, 50,000 acres burned.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn! Prayers to all those impacted.

Used to live in Vacaville and before that near Novato while working at Vallejo's Mare Island Naval Shipyard. Had many friends and coworkers in the areas burning now. Very sad.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
We have friends in the area, the wife called them, doing OK for now, some have had to evacuate.

I remember the Oakland Hills fire of some years ago, hope we don't see that again.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Seems like a lot of urban / suburban areas affected? What's fueling the fire? Houses and buildings?

Large impact to people in very short amount of time. Must be scary, especially to the people in hospital beds.

https://google.org/crisismap/u...35992%2C-122.8608768

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post