SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question about processing feral swine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about processing feral swine Login/Join 
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted
Feral swine have made their way onto my property. Last evening, I saw three of them and shot a 50 pound sow. It was in the evening and I didn't want to go through to process of heating a barrel of water to scald the hair off and all that, so I just skinned her out planning on grinding the meat into sausage. Honestly, I am not prepared (for now) to do the whole scalding thing. My question is this: Can I grind up the fat that is on the pig or is that like deer and bear fat and causes an off flavor in the meat when cooked? Fat from butchers is getting very hard to come by so I thought I'd just use the natural fat if it doesn't ruin the meat. Anyone with experience?

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I shot a large hog last fall. It was very tasty. But I would get the fat off it before cooking it because it does have a strong odor. If I had time, I would trim it off before freezing.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I’ve never found one with any appreciable fat on it nor have I made sausage so can’t help you there. I’ve only been hunting them for a few years now but this is the best and quickest way I’ve seen to process them.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BmX-3Qqa4

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I render the fat instead of using it directly.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'll just add that the Havalon Piranta knife with replaceable blades is by far the best skinning knife I have ever used. The replaceable blades are like scalpels. No more blade gettign dull half way through. Pop the blade out with a multi tool and pop a new blade in. Sharp as all heck! Go with bright orange so you can find it. I bought a black one and lost it my first time skinning the woods.

https://www.havalon.com/piranta-fitment-2

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know gives the big ones away to local po'folks.

The little ones taste good, though. I had sausage from one the other day.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I'll just add that the Havalon Piranta knife with replaceable blades is by far the best skinning knife I have ever used. The replaceable blades are like scalpels. No more blade gettign dull half way through. Pop the blade out with a multi tool and pop a new blade in. Sharp as all heck! Go with bright orange so you can find it. I bought a black one and lost it my first time skinning the woods.

https://www.havalon.com/piranta-fitment-2

This times a million. I have a tendency near the end of letting the knife get dull which means I have to work harder and that is when accidents happen. This product removes that problem...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think it depends to some degree on their diet. Those under 100 lbs we kill, which have been living on pecans, seem to have lots of fat that doesn’t impart any off taste.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've hunted wild hog at a camp in NC and that's all they ever did was skin them.

You don't have to grind the entire thing if they are large enough; the shoulders and hams are pretty good whole. Don't plan on getting any sort of ribs or bacon out of them though.

Posts: 33764 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Be sure to protect yourself from Brucellosis when slaughtering and butchering feral swine.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We always gave the large males away and kept the sows and piglets.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they'd make good sausage, but I killed two in Texas in September, and they taste great!

Part of the deal with wild hog is in the process. Our guide/outfitter, said not to cut up or freeze our quarters until they'd been in the cooler on ice for five days. Sounded crazy to me, but I did it. The meat I've had since then has been fantastic. Another good tip is to always cook it slow.

You can get some nice chops out of the back straps, but it's good to tenderize them before you put them in the skillet. The loins are awesome - of course - and the shoulders make great roasts. Just put them in the crockpot with taters and carrots and set it on low and walk away. Come back six hours later to an amazing pot roast.

They - our guides - said the ribs are good too, but I only had so much room in the cooler, and for the meat they have, ribs take up a ton of room. So I donated the ribs and most all of the 180lb boar that I got. But I brought home almost all of the 60lb one I shot on day two though.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I wish I could help, but I choot’em and call the redneck relatives / friends to drag them away and process them.

Last I saw they skinned them without boiling, didn’t seem to take them long, then gave it a 3-4 day ice bath before making them into sausage.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your response. I saw the two that were with the sow I killed night before last. Let them walk today. I still have one to process. I know where they're hanging out.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Be sure to protect yourself from Brucellosis when slaughtering and butchering feral swine.

/\/\/\/\/\

this!! In my job I deal with many that hunt deer and hogs. There has been at least one processor that contracted Brucellosis and died.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wear rubber gloves. Let me meat hang for a day or two if possible. All mine get ground unless my daughter shoots it and wants something else done with the cuts. Bacon has never been possible for me. They have all been too lean. We've slayed a fair number over the last 10 years. Only one was inedible.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarinetoRN:
Feral swine have made their way onto my property. Last evening, I saw three of them and shot a 50 pound sow. It was in the evening and I didn't want to go through to process of heating a barrel of water to scald the hair off and all that, so I just skinned her out planning on grinding the meat into sausage. Honestly, I am not prepared (for now) to do the whole scalding thing. My question is this: Can I grind up the fat that is on the pig or is that like deer and bear fat and causes an off flavor in the meat when cooked? Fat from butchers is getting very hard to come by so I thought I'd just use the natural fat if it doesn't ruin the meat. Anyone with experience?

We have processed many wild hogs. A few things to look out for but the meat is very good on sows and young boars. I have a post here on the process. Send me an email and we can talk specifics.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...140064744#9140064744

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HayesGreener,

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post