SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Egypt vacation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Egypt vacation Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
We are l aging Thursday for a little over a week in the Nile valley in Egypt. We are stoke. Our itinerary calls for hitting a bunch of the great archeological sites. I’m taking my Canon 5D4 with 24-105 and my 70-200. Plus filters, tripods, etc. wish me luck - this may just be this years calendar!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck! Along with your Canon, take a Marine Expeditionary Unit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Be safe over there. Years back I was at the pyramids of Giza, lots of history.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all the unrest in that area of the world be very careful! Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd love to them see at some point.

Have fun.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If you go for a camel ride in the desert, make sure you negotiate the price INCLUDING the return to the starting point!

Hey mister, you wanna go for a camel ride? $10. 5 miles later, the return ride is $$. True story.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Your not in Kansas anymore.
No way I'd go anywhere near there although I would have loved to see the sights.
Maybe 30 years ago.
See what kind of insurance policy you can buy for that trip and that'll tell you all you need to know.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s wishing for a safe trip and return. Let’s share the pics when you get back.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I spent a week in Cairo some years ago. It is a fascinating place. For one thing, it makes Tijuana look like Beverley Hills.

The Pyramids at Giza are magnificent, as is the Sphinx, conveniently located nearby. You might enjoy the light show they stage each night. Every night it is several different languages. Be sure you verify which nights are English.

The British Museum was also worth seeing. My host, a native Egyptian, negotiated the terms of our guide’s service. This fellow might have known some of the pharoahs personally, judging by his aged appearance.

I’m not sure I would go now. I felt safe enough then with this host, who had been a General in the Egyptian Army, to keep me away from trouble.

Do not try to drive. It is wild bedlam. The drivers use horns instead of brakes. You will understand what “submission to the Will of Allah” means and what hold that idea has on the natives. Some streets are marked “One Way” but it is a matter of dispute which way that one way is. Extreme caution advised.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but the only places I would feel safe in that neighborhood nowadays is Israel and Jordan (and not so much Jordan). I would love to get back there and to go to Petra as I missed it on my last trip.

Hope you have a great, and safe, trip.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The pyramids are in my Bucket List but I won't go to Egypt to see them at this time. I'll be 80 next month, so I am hoping that matters will calm down enough soon that I'll be able to see them before I die.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter (age 28) visited Cairo and the Pyramids earlier this year, had no problems. However, her company has an office in Cairo and she had locals to take her around.

FWIW, this was a side trip from a three-week work trip to Kuwait City.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I don't understand some of the comments in this thread. It was posted by Intrepid Traveler - key word is intrepid. I don't think he needs to be told it's risky or that some of you think he's crazy for undertaking such an adventure.

Intrepid Traveler, have a safe trip and enjoy yourself.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
If you go for a camel ride in the desert, make sure you negotiate the price INCLUDING the return to the starting point!

Hey mister, you wanna go for a camel ride? $10. 5 miles later, the return ride is $$. True story.

My sister and BIL went there maybe 10 years ago and said the locals were pulling a scam like that where it was $10 to get UP on the camel and ride around, then $100 to get back DOWN. Big Grin

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the pictures and report of how the locals treated you.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
So a few more details, and this will be the last I post until I get back.

We are being guided and driven everywhere. We'll have the benefit of a local "on our side" (or at least as much as possible).

We're traveling pretty much the full north-south length of the country, from Alexandria (at the Nile delta) to Abu Simbal (almost to Sudan). The Nile valley has a ton of great archaeological sites.

We've got some neat thingsbooked - hot air balloon, quad ride on the desert, felucca rides (ssmall sailboats), and lots of photography. All of these are booked and paid in advance, so no danger of a camel ride into the desert with no return trip!

As far as danger, the mideast has never been, and never will be, conflict free. But nowhere really is. I went to pick up my girlfriend to leave town and the police had the street blocked about 200' from her front door. It was due to a shooting.

As far as how I expect to be treated, I expect it will be very well. I've done a fair amount of travel, both domestic and international, and I am constantly amazed at how friendly and basically good people are. But then, I believe you get what you give too.

I'll touch base when I'm back! I'll have tons of photos to share, and likely this year's calendar will be Egypt photos (although it will probably be a little late this year).

Cheers!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the mosques too.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip,I were younger and could afford it I would do the same.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ the updated number are 235 dead and over 109 injured.

egyptian source, in English

I doubt the OP will be visiting many Mosques, but it does give one pause.

Stay safe and enjoy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post