SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Berry identification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berry identification Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
Can anyone ID these berries? They came from a large tree. I have pictures of the leaves and bark, if needed.

I'm pretty sure they are a mulberry but I have two concerns:

1) they are tiny. I thought mulberries were much bigger

2) color is odd... from what I found using google mulberries ripen to either a clear/white color, a red color, or black. These are deep pink/lavender and they are ripe. Soft to the touch, falling from the trees, and very sweet. Yes, I tried one. Lol.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Looks like something out of a 50's B horror movie.

"Attack of THE BERRY!!!"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Blackberry to me, but they come a bush as opposed to a tree.

A picture of the tree/bush would help.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mulberry maybe ?

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like a mulberry to me. Ours are black though.

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Maybe a boysenberry?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Nightlock

or immature mulberries. Could be either.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Can anyone ID these berries? They came from a large tree. I have pictures of the leaves and bark, if needed.

Leaf, please

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I grew up under mulberry trees in the Midwest. The berries turn from purple to black when completely ripe. If you park a car under one, there will be purple birdshit all over your car. The leaves are distinctive in shape. That looks like mulberries but do a leaf identification to be sure. Oh, and check for silkworm, mulberry leaves is what they eat

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
mulberry.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Spider eggs...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I vote mulberry. They grow on trees with leaves with different dentation - very unusual.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Did you see a monkey chasing a weasel by any chance?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
They don't look like any mulberry I've ever seen. Unless it's some kind of hybrid. There's black and white mulberry trees and black mulberries look so much like blackberries that they are hard to distinguish.

What was the shape of the leaf of the plant they came off of?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is that a coke spoon ? Marion Berry ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They look like mulberries to me from a stunted tree. Usually they are longer and change color when they are ripe.

The bad part is that birds eat them and then deposit the seed in your yard. The stain from bird droppings is as bad as wild cherry droppings.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Dingle?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Note to self: NEVER open a SF thread with a mouth full.

I was chuckling around a mouthful of bean soup when I read "Marion Berry".

When I got to "Dingle" I damn near choked to death!

Big Grin Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Did you see a monkey chasing a weasel by any chance?

No, I think our Monkey is still busy in some otter thread.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
Mulberry maybe ?

Ken

Yup!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post