SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else enjoy this as an after dinner treat?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else enjoy this as an after dinner treat? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Stilton, with a small glass of port for me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Do you eat the outer edge of the cheese ? It looked a bit different.

How different is the really old balsamic vinegar from the ordinary store bought variety?

The rind I have eaten but it is best saved for cooking with.

High grade aged balsamic can command astronomical prices. Yes, it is worlds apart from grocery store fare.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

How different is the really old balsamic vinegar from the ordinary store bought variety?

The rind I have eaten but it is best saved for cooking with.

High grade aged balsamic can command astronomical prices. Yes, it is worlds apart from grocery store fare.

Ate some 2 year old stuff today. Definitely surprising. I would not have expected it was the same as the store grated stuff. The outer edge was way too hard to eat plain. I didn't have the fancy vinegar.

I'm not sure if it will become a regular thing, but I may start sampling the hard cheeses again.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
That was fun. Laughed my way through this thread Cool

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I will occasionally eat that after dinner, but my family thinks I'm nuts. I saw it on a cooking show years ago, and find that I really enjoy it.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have to have your little finger extended while eating it. Razz

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
Sounds like you have to have your little finger extended while eating it. Razz

LOL Don't know where you got that idea. Leave that to the Brits and their teacups. Smile

Parmigiano Reggiano is known as the "king of cheeses" for a reason. You can eat it chunked, sliced, diced, or shredded. No raised pinky required. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
It really is the King of Cheese. I agree with this post 100%. I use Parm-Regg in many recipes. Keep the rinds to use when making soups. Let the rinds simmer, and remove the remains before serving.

It must be the real deal, though. Parm-Regg from Italy. The American stuff pales in comparison.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:

The grocery store stuff horrid and you wouldn't want to eat it over good cheese.

Balsamic that's aged around 7 years is rich, condensed, sweet, fruity and essentially heaven in a bottle. It's expensive for a reason whereas the grocery store stuff isn't transferred from different types of wooden casks as often or as long as the expensive stuff.

Store bought is horrid and technically balsalmic but it's a disaster. Fine for a salad mixed with other things but as stand alone, 7 years or longer is where it really starts to shine IMO.

For a treat try a balsamic reduction over vanilla ice cream. It's not gross like you might think. Very much the oppposite.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post