SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Desert Strom Destroyed the U.S. Military - article
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Desert Strom Destroyed the U.S. Military - article Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
He also told me they shot shoulder fired missiles into surrendering guards bunkers.

Was it the fog of war, adrenaline, or were they following orders?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The warriors stay until they've either (1) had enough of the bullshit or (2) had enough of the bullshit.

Typically around 8-14 years. I even saw a true blue fucking assassin in the air hang it up at 17 years. 3 short of free money for life. And he's making a killing as a civie.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
He also told me they shot shoulder fired missiles into surrendering guards bunkers.

Was it the fog of war, adrenaline, or were they following orders?
Probably just a "war is hell" moment. Measuring with a micrometer, cutting with a chain saw kinda thing.

War isn't supposed to be pretty or easy. Lest we gain an appetite for it.

And it depends on the person. I know a guy who was there as well, killing Iraqis and walked the highway of death, etc.

He's fine. Married, kids, pays his taxes, provides. You just have no way to tell who is gonna lose it and who is gonna be fine with it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
While there are solid points in this article, most of them are dulled by the accompanying idiocy from the author.

The majority of troops don't give a fuck about the race, gender, sexuality, etc. of the uniformed fuck next to them. Are you qualified? Can you fight enough to save my ass? Done, enemies that way.

Sure, be pissed that social engineering is lowering standards to achieve a more "representative force," but don't discard the folks that can meet or exceed the standards just because their tackle box has a different load out. Yes, women getting knocked up in the middle of a deployment activation weakens the team, but don't through away the ones that know how to keep their legs together.

The Israeli Defense force seems to do well with women in combat roles, as well as other nations. If you're building an all volunteer force, why discard half of the population when looking at your resource pool?

Are there problems? Yes. Are they as bad as this asshat would have you think? No.

Put a woman in the middle of a group of men and you have an immediate source of conflict. Doesn't matter if it's a war zone, a corporate retreat, a house party or bus stop. There's a reason throughout history women have not participated in combat. To think that reality has somehow been negated in the past twenty years is ridiculous.

Israel is not comparable because A.) military service is mandatory and B.) they are under constant threat in a way the U.S. is not.

And current troops are forced to care about race, gender, and sexuality, whether they want to or not. The push for women in combat isn't about allowing capable citizens into the military. It's about political gamesmanship and undermining the core values of America.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
3 short of free money for life. And he's making a killing as a civie.

3 years might as well be 30 years if you are miserable.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
All thanks to Barry 0blunder...
quote:
Since, 1991, the US military has been slowly coming apart at the seams. Stress cards, open homosexuality, transgenders on active duty, sensitivity training, pregnancy simulators for male troopers, lactation stations in the field, babies born on US ships of war, female graduates of Ranger School, including a 37 year old mother (it’s funny how the women looked so well fed), women in the SEALs, women in Marine infantry units and females in the field artillery (even though most cannot carry a 155mm round) are just some of the insanity that has taken place in the last 26 years, but which snowballed into hell under the Obama administration.

A social revolution engulfed the military, starting with Tailhook and continuing to this day. Warriors were forced out and feather merchants and PC flag bearers were promoted. Girl power was in and masculinity was out. The warrior culture was buried and a new culture was reborn that resembles corporate America, not the US military of yesteryear.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by von Trakehnen:
The America's soldiers have simply become like every other government employee.

Some of them have, but don't assume or imply that they are ALL like that. There are thousands of good men and women who serve their country in accordance with the best traditions of the warrior ethos.

I know a good many of them who are cut from the same cloth as the men who stormed Normandy 73 years ago. . .

My boy, who was a Marine Sargeant is buried in a Veterans Cemetery, was cut from the same cloth as well. He had PTSD because of what the Marines did to him.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: November 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
The Israeli Defense force seems to do well with women in combat roles, as well as other nations. If you're building an all volunteer force, why discard half of the population when looking at your resource pool?

The IDF has a stellar reputation for a variety of reasons (in part due to real accomplishments and in part due to marketing and a certain level of “mystique”). However, its war fighting capability has never been tested against a non-arab adversary. It's one thing to fight guerrilla groups like Hezbollah and Hamas, or poorly trained and technologically inferior Egyptian and Syrian armies. But how would the IDF fare in a fight against another top-rate military (like the Americans, or even the Russians and the Chinese)? That's an open question. And how would a unit with a large female troops comportment fare against a similarly-sized all-male unit, all other factors being equal? That’s an open question too, as I can’t think of a single engagement like that in recent history.

Posts: 539 | Registered: November 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Monk:
Israel is not comparable because A.) military service is mandatory and B.) they are under constant threat in a way the U.S. is not.

And this, IMO, is the source of the US's problems. The average citizen is so safe in the US that we (starting with the military) spend a lot more time worrying about other people's private parts than winning the war. The American people put up with politicians who absolutely loathe the military and keep re-electing them.

When was the last time a general was replaced for not getting results? When was the last time the American people demanded results from the military?

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post