SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Truckers or those who know big rigs!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Truckers or those who know big rigs! Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Cool question. Smile
Thanks all.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Cool question. Smile
Thanks all.

+1 I enjoyed reading all the responses and learning. I can't imagine sleeping in one of those cabs with the clackety engine running all night though! Eek

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting thread. Thanks to the knowledgeable replies.

Curious, how much hassle is this "Regen" that new epa engines gave to do?

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Cool question. Smile
Thanks all.

+1 I enjoyed reading all the responses and learning. I can't imagine sleeping in one of those cabs with the clackety engine running all night though! Eek

I enjoyed it too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Mack, I ain't no Mack, I'm a Peterbilt.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I worked for Volvo Truck for 10 years, Volvo still has their own engines and Transmissions. But they also put a Lot of Cummins Detroits and other engines in their trucks for Spec.
Volvos latest engine and trans is a DSG automatic that has no torque converter it is a dual clutch auto that can be shifted manual or automatic. They were finding many "new" drivers had a lot of trouble shifting the 18 speeds.
Trucking companies were skeptical at first so Volvo built a Race truck with 2400 hp and showcased that transmission.
The Jake brakes are still around they are just much quieter, and can be used automatically like cruise control going down hills, Cummins has one that will just use 2 -4 6 cyl depending on the need. Volvo also owns Autocar, I used to love building them the frames were much stronger, we built some for Alaska highway dept that were 6 wheel drive.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Cool question. Smile
Thanks all.

There are small Cat engines which attach outside to the rear of the tractor for running your air. Seen one with a exhaust alteration which was very quiet. Reefer units are quieter than they used to be. If you park near a load of livestock, makes it hard to rest.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
Ran mostly Mack's, had one Kenworth. The Mack's had better visibility. The Kenworth had air ride suspension which made for a much better ride. Hauled heavy machinery used in road and building site construction, oversize and overweight permitted loads. Now for the last nine years, I mostly run a Komatsu 930 e, 320 ton offroad mining truck, sometimes 240 ton Komatsu's, once in a while either a Cat or Komatsu 150 ton for hauling into tight areas. The bigger they are, the easier they are to drive...except during snowstorms...
Have any pics of the monsters?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:

The first regen systems were a real pain in the ass. I'm not sure if the after treatment (Def) made the difference or if tech finally caught up, but my latest truck has been pretty seamless. 375,000 and have not had to do a stopped regen yet. The first one got to be a semi weekly event and was a serious mileage and power killer.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:

In local delivery and sort haul operations there are a real big maintenance issue on the after treatment system.

Municipalities have even returned to gasoline motors in their midsize trucks because of the maintenance and cost to maintain the after treatment systems in the modern diesels.

The after treatment systems wants to see about an hour or more of a constant moderate to heavy pull to enter into an auto regeneration cycle. Stop and go traffic and sort distance will stop this cycle from completing. You may have to perform a parked regeneration cycle. It uses the VGT turbo that closes down to create back pressure in the exhaust. This raises exhaust temps and regen then starts, Parked regeneration can take over an hour.

What is a regen? It wants to see exhaust temps over 500 degrees then it starts to inject a diesel spray into the exhaust stream to create a blast furnace type of flame heat to burn off the ash collected in the Diesel Particle Filter. The newer ones also inject urea into the final exhaust stream to lower NOX I believe.

When I started turning wrenches a rebuilt turbo for a truck could be purchased for a couple hundred dollars. The Cummins VGT turbo and actuator rebuilt are close to $4000 plus the labor.

This is why I do not recommend people to purchase a diesel pickup unless they are going to really do some long heavy towing. Ask anyone that owns a Ford diesel with some miles on it. how much was it to replace the EGR Cooler. It is a 40 hour job and the Cab needs to come off the truck.

Dodge Ram Regen

Cummins parked Regen

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
quote:
Cool question. Smile
Thanks all.

There are small Cat engines which attach outside to the rear of the tractor for running your air. Seen one with a exhaust alteration which was very quiet. Reefer units are quieter than they used to be. If you park near a load of livestock, makes it hard to rest.

While some of the APU's, like Rigmaster, use Perkins (CAT) engines, the majority (Thermoking, et al.) prefer Yanmar engines. I've owned both, and the Yanmar blows the Perkins away for quiet, durable, and fuel use. Mine on this truck is over 11,000 hours, and doesn't need oil between changes and has yet to develop a leak. They are awesome.

AFA not being able to sleep with the truck running. There are plenty of people who prefer it running. It is like a giant sleep machine, and it drowns out all the other noise, like a trailer full of cattle next door. I can't sleep with my truck idling because I know it's costing $4/hour.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post