Find
Notify
Tools

Waffle House Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
Only place I could find open when the wife and I were traveling on Christmas day. One waitress was working her ass off.

I paid the $20 tab with a $100 and told her to keep the change. She couldn't believe it.

We really appreciated them being there, that night.

Good on you.

There really is more to them than meets the eye.

God bless that waitress Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 police cars full of cops were on their way back from a funeral and pulled into a Waffle House to eat.

We pulled up and got out. The place emptied. Everyone left holding up their hand to shield their face.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waffle House for the win when we go visit in laws in the southeast.

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
Only place I could find open when the wife and I were traveling on Christmas day. One waitress was working her ass off.

I paid the $20 tab with a $100 and told her to keep the change. She couldn't believe it.

We really appreciated them being there, that night.

Good on you.

There really is more to them than meets the eye.

God bless that waitress Smile

The last 3 years I have taken thanksgiving week off and my wife and kids and I have bailed on the rest of our family and gone on a mini road trip vacation to various national parks in the southwest, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion etc. We have eaten at some really greasy independent places for thanksgiving dinner and I was very very thankful they were open and I tipped those various gals working that night extraordinarily well. We've been blessed with good weather those weeks so far and I think the kids are learning to be thankful for what they have and what real hardworking folks in small towns across this land do to make it on a weekly basis. I worked thanksgiving and Christmas and every other holiday for years during hischool and college when I worked at a 24 hour convenience Store

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I live right next to the western most Waffle House in the country. Eat there often.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
First WH experience was somewhere off I-75 in Atlanta, about 3 A.M. Good food and clean. Even the sketchy clientele in there were on their best behavior. 2012, first time this Yankee had ever been in one.

Bowling Green Kentucky, well that one could use some lessons in floor cleaning. Not sticky, the opposite. Thought I was on ice without skates. In their defense it was a Sunday late morning and they were doing all they could to keep up.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I eat at a WH maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I have never stuck to the floor or found the door handles greasy. I have a "waffle supper": 2 waffles with butter and sugar-free syrup; double order of bacon or sausage; 2 eggs scrambled dry; no grits or hash-browns; sliced tomatoes (substitute for the former items); toast; and a large glass of milk. This is a throwback to my childhood, when my family often had meals like that.

The WH I attend is clean, the help is competent, and the food is good. (I even taught them once to make a "chili size" for me.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Very unfortunately, my first experience with grits was at a Waffle House, about 1987, when we rode sport bikes down to Daytona for the 200.

Fortunately, the next opportunity was at the Hominy Grill, with shrimps on top, and it was a much better experience Smile

That's quite a step up, from what I hear. I have a good friend who lives in Charleston, and he speaks glowingly of that very dish.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
"you're a Communist if you don't eat [Waffle House's hash browns] smothered and covered." ~Larry the Cable Guy

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Waffle House is a new one so no grease, no sticky floors, yet. I like the waffles but the rest of the fare, not so much. People are nice.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I just had an All-Star breakfast at Waffle House on my way to work. Every table was full and there were families with young kids there. Alot of people without electricity still. The food was excellent. They were on a limited menu and had no bacon though.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:

quote:

Fortunately, the next opportunity was at the Hominy Grill, with shrimps on top, and it was a much better experience Smile

That's quite a step up, from what I hear. I have a good friend who lives in Charleston, and he speaks glowingly of that very dish.

You need to go visit your friend there. It was an *experience* Smile You will not be disappointed. Took my wife there, when we went on an adventure in my old Land Rover (on 35" Swampers) and it was most memorable.

That being said, the first experience was more likely due not having had them before and not knowing what to expect or how or if they needed embellishing. As recalled, they were quite "soupy" with butter(?) and tried pepper to help...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post