Find
Notify
Tools

Waffle House Login/Join 
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted
Power is out all over Hickory Flat but Waffle House has the door chocked open and is cooking a limited menu on the gas range with daylight streaming in through the windows. No waffles but eggs to order, biscuits, hash browns, coffee and a variety of cold drinks. Coffee made by pouring hot water through the filter cup draining into the pot, best cup of the worst coffeee I ever had.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1323 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Someone in the Wx Channel commented that when the Waffle Houses close, you know its getting serious.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
Waffle House has incident response teams tasked with keeping restaurants open in disaster areas

http://wildfiretoday.com/2017/...nt-management-teams/

They also have pre-planned limited menus designed for austere conditions and/or limited resupply

...and FEMA uses the Waffle House Index to gauge the severity of a disaster

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Awful House Incident Response Team?
Preparing my resume now....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every Waffle House I've been to had greasy door handles, greasy tables and seats, greasy menu and greasy foods. The greasy food part I don't mind, just have to thoroughly wipe or wash my hands afterwards.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Very unfortunately, my first experience with grits was at a Waffle House, about 1987, when we rode sport bikes down to Daytona for the 200.

Fortunately, the next opportunity was at the Hominy Grill, with shrimps on top, and it was a much better experience Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
What has 9 breasts & 16 teeth?

Waffle House waitstaff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Didn't J Jones have a great quote about WH a while back?

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There have been several articles in the past about Waffle House's efforts to reopen, including the limited menus for best efficiency.

Here's an excerpt from one such article: mises.org/library/who-serves-during-disaster

The company even has a mobile command center that looks to be a rolling Waffle House restaurant. The RV is known as EM-50, named after Bill Murray's urban-assault vehicle in the 1981 movie Stripes. When bad weather looms, EM-50 is mobilized.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waffle House is great.

Just don't go there after midnight... The 'ambiance' changes drastically from the usual working class crowd. Big Grin

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
We have a few Pitt Grills in my area. Apparently the owner worked for Waffle House for some time.....same floor plan and all...
Anyway...when we had our ice storm back in 2000, my hometown was out of power for several days, and ran out of water about 3 days into the power outage. They were the only restaurant open that had a full menu. Coffee and tea made with bottled water (best I've ever had at a restaurant) and regular menu cooked on their gas griddle.
Candlelight after the sun went down (their windows faced west).
In fact, the only time I have ever known them to close was about ten years ago when they got new furniture (they were closed for almost 3 hours from 2AM until 5AM)

Posts: 6297 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
Every Waffle House I've been to had greasy door handles, greasy tables and seats, greasy menu and greasy foods. The greasy food part I don't mind, just have to thoroughly wipe or wash my hands afterwards.

Haven't bee in one for many years. I refuse to eat in a place where my shoes stick to the floor.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Haven't bee in one for many years. I refuse to eat in a place where my shoes stick to the floor.

That's a safety feature

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That was my only experience wit Waffle House as well. Evertyhing in the place was sticky from the syrup, Once was enough for me.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Which is the worst?

Fancy restaurants where the kitchen is hidden ( maybe totally filthy) and the serving area is spotless, but the food is good?

Or

Greasy spoons ( Like WH), where all the debris is out in the open and the food is usually delicious?

No Waffle House joints near me, when I want a Waffle House fix, I go to one of these

http://www.huddlehouse.com

But kudos to WH for steppjng up in times of need.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you gents need to invest in some overalls, shoe covers and gloves Wink

quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
quote:
quote:

That was my only experience wit Waffle House as well. Evertyhing in the place was sticky from the syrup, Once was enough for me.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

That's a safety feature

Ha! LOL Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Only place I could find open when the wife and I were traveling on Christmas day. One waitress was working her ass off.

I paid the $20 tab with a $100 and told her to keep the change. She couldn't believe it.

We really appreciated them being there, that night.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed the food here on numerous occasions. Only run across grease issues once, maybe twice. Very good coffee, excellent homefries.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post