SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the scenic route from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the scenic route from Oklahoma City to Los Angeles? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
My brother decided he wanted an FJ Cruiser as a project car. He put a deposit down on one in Oklahoma City, will drive a rental out there, get a quick private party inspection, and then take a couple or three nights on the drive back.

Not wanting to backtrack through New Mexico on the way home, he'll turn north through Utah. Looking for scenic places worth the drive/stop that are known to be open during COVID.

I'm recommending Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Horseshoe Bend. Arches and Antelope Canyon is closed

Anything else? Any specific highways worth the drive?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Route 66?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
And get your kicks.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Three days isn't much time to drive over 500 miles out of one's way and stop for sightseeing. But almost the entirety of I-70 from Denver (everything east of Denver is the Great Plains) to its western end at Cove Fort, UT is a scenic drive, as is I-15 south from there, particularly the stretch through the Virgin River Gorge in AZ.

Bing Images - I-70 through the San Rafael Swell, UT
I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, CO
I-15 through Virgin River Gorge, AZ

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd base the trip on US-60. Skip the parks, enjoy the drive. Last crossing I dropped straight south at the Grey County Rest Area in Texas and hit US-60 3 hours earlier than my usual juncture below Amarillo. He'd cut straight through to PHX and then pick up I-10.

Stop for a burger in Datil NM. Speed trap approaching Springerville AZ, and it is easy to speed after the 15 mile straightaways in NM.

https://www.google.com/maps/di...849!2d34.0522342!3e0

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Three days isn't much time to drive over 500 miles out of one's way and stop for sightseeing. But almost the entirety of I-70 from Denver (everything east of Denver is the Great Plains) to its western end at Cove Fort, UT is a scenic drive, as is I-15 south from there, particularly the stretch through the Virgin River Gorge in AZ.

Bing Images - I-70 through the San Rafael Swell, UT
I-70 through Glenwood Canyon, CO
I-15 through Virgin River Gorge, AZ

This. I-70 to I-15 enough scenic vistas and interesting stops to help the miles go by.

If he follows I-40, he could connect with old route-66 and work that segment, Kingman & Williams AZ are the iconic towns people think of when they hear of Route-66. I've always enjoyed stopping in Flagstaff.

I-50 through Colorado is interesting and he'll see a nice chunk of the state but, it won't be as fast as the other two.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Price Ut. Eastern NV Ely.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Route 66?

As much of it as you have time for. It'll be worth it. I know someone who has done a lot of historical work on Route 66.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/maps...66-road-trip-3266159

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We had fun shadowing Historic Route 66 a couple years ago starting in St Louis but we only went as far as Arizona. Don't forget to stop in Winslow and see the flat bed Ford.

Midpoint by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Nice kilt, friend Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My recommendation (YMMV)

Leave Oklahoma City on I-40 west
Nearing Spur, OK turn right (NW) onto US-281
At Geary, OK this road picks up US-270, continue
At Watonga, OK, US-270 turns west
about 8-9 miles west US-270 breaks NW
At Selling, OK US-270 joins US-183 and continues NW and west, and somewhere also picks up US-412
at Boise City, OK turn north onto US-287
At Springfield, OK turn left (west) onto US-160
After 8 miles turn north on CO-109
At La Junta, CO turn NW onto US-50
Follow US-50 through Pueblo, CO (nice air museum) all the way to Montrose, CO staying right on US-50 (north)
Around Grand Junction, CO US-50 joins I-70
Follow I-70 west (Glenwood Canyon is a must)
If Bryce Canyon NP and Zion NP are open,
at Cove, UT break south onto US-89
Just south of Pangulch, UT UT-12 takes off east to Bryce Canyon NP
Back on US-89, at Mount Carmel Junction turn righ (west) onto UT-9, which runs right through Zion NP and joins I-15 south near St. George, UT
I-15 will take you to near your destination.

OKC to LA
by David Casteel, on Flickr

If he wants to go through Leadville, CO (nice mining museum and tourist railroad) after passing through Pueblo, CO on US-50, about 100 miles farther (US-50) take US-185 north (right) at Poncha Springs, CO for about 80 miles and at Johnson Village stay straight (north) onto US-24, which will get to Leadville, CO about 120 miles north. Leaving Leadville going north on US-24 will go to I-70 between Avon and Vail, CO. From there just go west on I-70. This map shows the alternate route to US-50 (original along the bottom, unmarked):

Alt route to US-50

US-50 and US-24 are both very scenic roads. Not usually a lot of traffic, but they are mostly 2-lane (well-paved).

Of course, there are a myriad of other routes that will do the trick. I-35 north to Salina, KS; I-70 west from there to I-15 SW will do it.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Follow US-50 through Pueblo, CO (nice air museum) all the way to Montrose, CO staying right on US-50 (north)

On this route, there is Royal Gorge near Cañon City and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park near Montrose.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
2 or 3 nights won’t be enough to take a scenic trip due to all the extra miles as opposed to a basically straight shot through.

I’m in OKC, if your brother needs help I’ll be happy to do anything I can.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Why is he renting a car? Why doesn't he fly to OKC and drive back? Btw, tell him to hit up a local bbq joint while in town like Leos or Georges whole hog.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I'd base the trip on US-60. Skip the parks, enjoy the drive. Last crossing I dropped straight south at the Grey County Rest Area in Texas and hit US-60 3 hours earlier than my usual juncture below Amarillo. He'd cut straight through to PHX and then pick up I-10.

Stop for a burger in Datil NM. Speed trap approaching Springerville AZ, and it is easy to speed after the 15 mile straightaways in NM.

This. A stop in Pie Town for some...pie, also. I used to live in Magdalena while attending grad school in Socorro at New Mexico Tech. Beautiful out there.

You also get to go right by the VLA, so that would be a good stop.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
This doesn't really answer your question, but just food for thought:

Well crap, I was just looking for a direct flight from LAX to OKC. We did have direct non stop flights to/from LAX-OKC before the chinese virus hit but I think that went in the toilet when this chinese virus shut things down. I did see $160 one way flights from Ontario-DFW-OKC as well as LAX.

When I drive to/from Southern Cal, usually twice a year, I take what I call the "Southern Route". I've taken I-40 so many times, it's just boring to me. I take I-40 to either Amarillo or Santa Rosa NM, or to Moriarty NM, and exit I-40 to drop down southbound towards Hatch NM. Then west from Hatch NM to Deming NM. Pick up I-10 Westbound.

When You enter Arizona on I-10 you go through "Texas Canyon" which has the most amazing ginormous Boulders for a few miles. Just an amazing sight.

I DO NOT EVER drive through Phoenix. Yuck! I highly recommend the "Phoenix Bypass", on I-10 at Casa Grande, get on I-8 (westbound towards San Diego) for about 60 miles, at Gila Bend get off of I-10 and take AZ 85 north to Buckeye AZ and get back on I-10 westbound to LA.

If you have time, it's usually more scenic to take the smaller highways than the Interstates.

I hope your brother has a safe trip, as well as a very enjoyable time.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

This. A stop in Pie Town for some...pie, also. I used to live in Magdalena while attending grad school in Socorro at New Mexico Tech. Beautiful out there.

You also get to go right by the VLA, so that would be a good stop.

Burgers in Datil? Why not San Antonio, only ten miles off US-60 South of Socorro then East on US-380 one mile to The Owl Bar? https://sanantonioowl.com/

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Burgers in Datil? Why not San Antonio, only ten miles off US-60 South of Socorro then East on US-380 one mile to The Owl Bar?
The Datil business district is a single establishment at the crossroads of US-60 and NM-12. They grind their beef fresh. Mentioning a good burger "down the road" while sitting in a diner along the same US60, 500 miles to the NE in Texas, sure enough, there was a pipe hauler / rancher who immediately said, "Oh, in Datil? Yep. Good burger".

There are no true and absolute ways to make the drive. I look for the two-lane and keep'er around the speed limit.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

On this route, there is Royal Gorge near Cañon City and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park near Montrose.
And before reaching Pueblo, there's a neat little Veterans' Memorial at Lakin, Kansas right by the highway.

DSC_2074.jpg

There's a M60A3 tank there.

DSC_2079.jpg

OKC to LA 2 by David Casteel, on Flickr (Click on it to expand it)

This map is slightly different from the route I originally posted.
Leave Oklahoma City on I-40 west
Nearing Spur, OK turn right (NW) onto US-281
At Geary, OK this road picks up US-270, continue
At Watonga, OK, US-270 turns west
about 8-9 miles west US-270 breaks NW
At Selling, OK US-270 joins US-183 and continues NW and west, and somewhere also picks up US-412
At Bryans Corner, OK turn north onto US-83/64/270
At Garden City, KS turn left (west) onto US-400, which at some point joins or become US-50
(look for the tank at Lakin, KS)

Follow US-50 through Pueblo, CO (nice air museum) all the way to Montrose, CO staying on US-50 (north)
Around Grand Junction, CO US-50 joins I-70
Follow I-70 west (Glenwood Canyon is a must)
If Bryce Canyon NP and Zion NP are open,
at Cove, UT break south onto US-89
Just south of Pangulch, UT UT-12 takes off east to Bryce Canyon NP
Back on US-89, at Mount Carmel Junction turn righ (west) onto UT-9, which runs right through Zion NP and joins I-15 south near St. George, UT
I-15 will take you to near your destination.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post