SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you carry when fishing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you carry when fishing? Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Most of my fishing is via lake charters, and we drink heavily. As such, I don't so I'm not in possession while under the influence.

But we usually always have someone along that's an armed teetotaler

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'll be in Durango in a few weeks. Where do you fish?

I'm a very bad amateur fly fishing learner.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Yes, there's a pouch, chest-high in my waders, that accommodate my Kahr PM9.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I was fishing from a boat, and the owner of the boat caught a shark, about 5 ft long, a big fat sand shark. He wanted to bring him on board, I asked him if I could shoot the shark before we brought it on board. He said no, he didn't want me shooting a hole in his boat. He may have had a point there. We convinced the fool NOT to bring the shark on board. The boat was too small for a 5 ft sand shark and a handful of semi drunk fishermen.

When I used to fish fresh water from the bank, I always carried. Sometimes not just for four legged predators. Water moccasins. I had more than one visitor "like that" while fishing in remote holes. I hate that kind of shit. Scumbags. I much preferred a water moccasin over a felon wandering around in the swamp.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i dont carry when i am fishing because i suck at it and the only thing i caught is a buzz

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I only fish salt water, lower Potomac River. I do not carry then, due to my holster type (no positive retention). In case I end up in the water I don't want to lose it. Other than those times (rare over the last few years) I ALWAYS have it within arm's reach, even when watching TV.

Since all our doors are locked about 98% of the time, any intruders would be noticed in time to do whatever seemed right at the time.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always, once had some punks in a truck come up behind me when I was wading out in the water fishing. I would have been nervous had I not been armed. As it was I completely ignored them, kept fishing as long as they kept their distance. There were several of them. I guess they were just local hell raisers having fun at my expense.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
No. I usually bring 6 friends fishing.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always, in the yard, going to town, going out of town, etc. When I pass through the front door, I'll be carrying.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have always carried while fishing (or hunting, or driving, or hiking, or sleeping, or mowing, or watching TV, or camping). Why would you NOT carry. It's good for you. The couple of times I didn't, I was feeling under my clothes for it, and broke into a sweat wondering how I could be so stupid. I've been surprised more than once.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Always. Have a shoulder holster for when I'm wearing waders.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know someone who was shot and robbed while fishing on the banks of the Tuolumne river, not far from Yosemite. He was 1-2 miles from the road.

He heard someone say something, turned around, and was shot with a 22LR. His body went into shock and he fell down. They rifled through his pockets, stole his cash, and took off. After 5 minutes he was able to stand up, and then weakly walked toward the road. He ran into an off duty sheriff's deputy who was mountain biking.

Sheriff tried to find the offenders, but could not. Only thing they could determine is that a primer colored Camaro was in the area, and may have been the robber's vehicle.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'll be in Durango in a few weeks. Where do you fish?

I'm a very bad amateur fly fishing learner.

I'm going to walk into Hermosa Creek, for cutthroats. Catch and release only. I called the local DOW and got some great scoop. Check out Duranglers.com for up to date reports and stream flows. Have fun!

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fish quite a bit in the Yoop and the best fishing (no surprise) is on smaller remote lakes.
Warm weather: G20 with spare mag. Underwood ammo. Holster is either a Safariland level 2 or Gunfighters Inc Kenai chest rig.
Cold weather: Not as much fishing in winter, obviously. Ruger SBH Stainless .44 Mag. 4.5 inch barrel. Underwood ammo. 12 spares in an MTM ammo wallet. Holster is Gunfighters Inc. chest rig or CME Hog Runner crossdraw.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are grizzly in some of the areas where I fish. Carried a Ruger Alaskan in .44 mag for a while. Short barreled shotgun over shoulder is another option. Sometimes another person to stand watch (not fishing).

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Very rarely, but that is because I very rarely fish. Smile

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I flyfish with my sig 239 IWB holster under my waders. You just never know when a hiker or bait fisherman might go lame and need to be put down...

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a number of these "Do you carry when..." threads recently.

With apologies to Dr. Suess, I present "Do you carry?"...

I will carry when I mow, I will carry when I row.

I will carry where I fish, I will carry when I kiss.

I will carry in my car, I will carry near and far.

I will carry in my yard, I will carry where meat is charred.

I will carry in my pants, I will carry when I dance.

I will carry all day long, I will carry in a thong.

I will carry here and there, I will carry everywhere.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A little 22 mag, loaded with rat shot, is a handy thing for water moccasins

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have found that when fishing, you tend to find yourself in remote locations. Far from help, and far from 911. In some cases, 911 might not be able to get to you for hours. I tend to be armed in such scenarios.

Also, there is an unsolved double homicide near me of two fisherman. Both were found shot to death. Could have been drug runners. Or a psycho that just wanted to shoot people. Or maybe they got into an argument with another fisherman. At any rate, they are dead now.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post