SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you carry when fishing?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you carry when fishing? Login/Join 
posted
I am going to be fishing around Durango next week, mostly streams, but we may go up to Vallecito or into New Mexico at the Navajo Lake. I was thinking that I ought to be carrying, so I planned on bringing my Model 66 in an OWB holster. How many of you carry when you are splashing around the water?

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan for losing all your guns in a boating accident.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I'm wearing any sort of pants, I'm also wearing a gun, including when fishing.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ This.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Of course I carry, in case I am accosted by a dangerous fish! Smile

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
I planned on bringing my Model 66 ?

Good choice. I bring my 686 in similar situations.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Definitely, G20 10mm here, as much for four-legged-critters as the two-legged ones.

Better to have it and not need it and all that...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting timing...My stepson has really taken to fishing lately and asked me about a handgun choice the other day.

He has had more than one incident with someone of questionable character and intent asking him a bunch of questions and hanging around a little too long. He always brings his 100lb + lab/pit/??? mix with him and the dog is crazy protective in the b est possible way.

I gave him a few suggestions and might take him shopping in the next few weeks

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much always have a pistol with me when fishing
the local streams and rivers. Had a nice fish in the net
recently and dunked my Glock while trying to release him.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I carry when I'm out in the wilderness whenever possible. This was especially true in Alaska. If you are out in the woods miles away from civilization, then your safety is your responsibility. It's not like there are police patrols nearby.

I never worried about dunking a firearm.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Yes. Especially when I'm fishing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Definitely carry in New Mexico, we have cholo gang "brown" trout here. ;-)

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The only people that are going to be there for you in the north woods, are the medical examiners that take your body away. There is just no time for anyone to reach you before you succumb to two or four legged predators. I agree with HD, your protection is your own responsibility. Bring something for Bear, Moose, rabid or psychologically challenged beaver, Undead Male German Hookers, and Minnesota sized mosquitos.

And there are also Canadians near by, so there's that danger as well.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
During my yearly trout fishing trip in PA, I always have my glock on me.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
as someone mentioned the other day...If I'm dressed I have my black chunk on me....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4" S&W M-65 w/ Pachmayrs in a Fobus paddle holster. I seal the bullet and primers with primer seal.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I always carry when fishing. You just never know what you might run into around the next bend in the river. I originally got my CCW because of an upcoming trip to the Fox River in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. At that time the wild dog packs were a very real problem.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Because I am awake while fishing, I am carrying while fishing.

This is the second thread (at least) recently with a question "do you carry when...?"

I don't really understand the reasoning behind the question. If you carry a handgun, you carry a handgun. I'm going to start a new thread with a poll on this topic.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When I used to fish on the South Platte I always carried an old ugly Colt Cobra lightweight. I never needed it but it felt good to have it in my vest.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes...I fish a lot and have met some other sketchy folks on the water.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post