SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions about Ft Hood/Killeen area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about Ft Hood/Killeen area Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I am a retired Marine and looking to relocate away from the frozen tundra. Was originally looking in the Austin/San Antonio area and the prices were affordable when I first looked 14 years ago, that is no longer true. I would like to be with in 45 min to an hour of Ft Hood. I would like around two acers and try to stay under $200K. Modest house 1800 sf 3 or 4 bedroom ranch.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I know a retired USSS agent that lives in Goldwaith and a buddy's brother that lives in Marble Falls off the river. Both really like the area. Each town is about an hour from Fort Hood.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just moved to Temple this summer. Try Salado. If you don't care about school zones, anywhere is ok. Harker heights is nearby. I live just on the edge of temple and Belton and like the area, I would like to be out in nowhere, but Mrs Mike found the schools better in Belton.

I can recommend a great realtor!!

I would also say this. When internet searching property, make sure to search the locations of registered sex offenders...went to look at a house just south of Belton and the area was awash with offenders....no where to have a kid.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for land maybe try Lampasas.

I have never spent time in Killeen but I have heard from people who have and they are not fans. I have heard it's sketchy and there is some thug culture there.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Try Hamilton and Gatesvile as well for your price range.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fort Hood/ Killeen area is a typical military town. Lots of traffic, crappy areas, and over priced housing and apts due to every apt/leasing corp knows how much Military/Defense and Govt workers get for a housing allowance.

It has been a couple of years since I was at Fort Hood for a training hop. At the time some of the barracks were unlivable so they put us up in hotels in the Killeen area. I was not impressed with the area, unless they have cleaned it up.

I will say that if you are a rookie officer or an officer that wants to run and gun that is the place.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Just moved to Temple this summer. Try Salado. If you don't care about school zones, anywhere is ok. Harker heights is nearby. I live just on the edge of temple and Belton and like the area, I would like to be out in nowhere, but Mrs Mike found the schools better in Belton.

I can recommend a great realtor!!

I would also say this. When internet searching property, make sure to search the locations of registered sex offenders...went to look at a house just south of Belton and the area was awash with offenders....no where to have a kid.

Could you shoot me their contact info? Thanks

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3692 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Reports from a relative living in Killeen, increasing gang activity in the area.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My sister still lives there for some reason. I guess the biggest reason is the (relatively) low cost of living. Bought a huge house off Stan Schlueter for $200k. I think it's around 2,700 SF.

I just visited her this past May. I've never been a fan of the area and I'm still not.

Lots of shady looking spots. Glad I never got stationed there. I'd take Bliss/El Paso over Hood any day of the week.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

I left the Fort Hood area a few years back but, I agree with this overall assessment.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My family lives in Belton, which is a relatively quiet town compared to neighboring Killeen. Above there, you have Lake Belton, which has Morgan's Point Resort and Temple. I haven't been to the lake in a while, but there was a lot of land still available. That whole Interstae 35 corridor is building up fast.

I live between San Antonio and Austin, but just a little closer to San Antonio. If you want land close to a lake(Canyon Lake) and be close to military bases, the hill country north of San Antonio is the place to be. Other than having country living with large cities close by, you can zip on down to the coast for day trips.

Oh, and I'd commit suicide if I had to live in the Killeen area. There are decent places close by, but the general area isn't my cup of tea. Lampassas is a little bit west and a little past Copperas Cove where my dad was born. It is building up, but may possibly be a little too country for you.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post