SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do there seem to be so many Accidental/Negligent discharges these days?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do there seem to be so many Accidental/Negligent discharges these days? Login/Join 
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
It can happen to anyone. About 15 years ago an off duty cop was working the door at a local gun show and shot himself in the hand while clearing a handgun for someone entering the arena. To add insult to injury the guy who handed him the loaded weapon was a local paramedic.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Seriously, how do you think people in Florida heard about an ND in California in the 1980's? Well they didn't.

I doubt the people of yesteryear were any less negligent than the folks of today.
I'm going to go with this explanation.

(Sent from Mt. Cook, South Island, New Zealand, on a tour.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick Google search brings up this article from the NRA:
Link to Article

For those that don't feel like clicking the link, I'll summarize. Firearms related deaths and injuries to include accidents are down across the board.

I agree with the members who point out the speed and reach of modern social media. I'll also point out that it's in certain folks interests to publicize every accident and misstep of gun owners. As has been noted here before, every seizure is an arsenal.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:

About 15 years ago an off duty cop was working the door at a local gun show and shot himself in the hand while clearing a handgun for someone entering the arena.

A "clearing barrel" sounds like a good idea. For handguns I would think a 5-gallon bucket of sand would be sufficient. Leave the lid on so the sand doesn't splatter all over the floor. Of course, no clearing barrel would have prevented pointing the gun at his own hand.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:

About 15 years ago an off duty cop was working the door at a local gun show and shot himself in the hand while clearing a handgun for someone entering the arena.

A "clearing barrel" sounds like a good idea. For handguns I would think a 5-gallon bucket of sand would be sufficient. Leave the lid on so the sand doesn't splatter all over the floor. Of course, no clearing barrel would have prevented pointing the gun at his own hand.
Well, at least a paramedic was right there.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2078 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
.....having a bad day?........lol

per striperkid

not lately, had a bad day in 1970 though,
took my brothers .22 rifle to the rec center range. ( I was 14 )
I did not know the " on target on trigger, off target off trigger " rule.

put a round in to the concrete floor, about 4 yards in front of the back stop.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its the Internet.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Cause of people like this douche

https://youtu.be/XenzhvHO2z8

Look how wobbly his legs are after the ND

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Those who think it is the "experienced" that have NDs, don't get out much. Every negligent shooting I have worked, or even heard about in the last 5 years was a new "gun owner". Many had their state issued CCDW a short while, so they had at least been exposed to basic safety.

But, in the end, it never brought them back, or the friend or family member they killed.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:...

Look how wobbly his legs are after the ND

Like a marionette.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it could be the magnifying effect of the Internet, but there sure seem to be a lot.

What proof source are you getting this data from? A negligent discharge does not always cause an accidental death so the NRA data is incomplete on the matter.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Oh, you mean like this ND story...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1020061124/p/1

or this one... (although the guy did eventually die)
http://www.kptv.com/story/2145...hooting-independence

or this...
http://news4sanantonio.com/new...lf-with-gun-he-stole

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post