SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why do there seem to be so many Accidental/Negligent discharges these days?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do there seem to be so many Accidental/Negligent discharges these days? Login/Join 
posted
I guess it could be the magnifying effect of the Internet, but there sure seem to be a lot. I have my own ideas about why, but would like to hear your thoughts before I comment.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Data please...

Posts: 913 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Proliferation of video cameras, and yes the internets.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I think you hit on it. It's simply reported more like many things.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Speculation.

The number of "first time" firearm owners, fewer people were exposed to firarms growing up and the increased numbers over the past 8 years has a lot to do with it, as well as the proliferation of information spread on social media.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
Data please...

I have none and never claimed to have any. I acknowledged that it may be perception.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand, I think sigmonkey prolly has it right...

Posts: 913 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Speculation.

The number of "first time" firearm owners, fewer people were exposed to firarms growing up and the increased numbers over the past 8 years has a lot to do with it, as well as the proliferation of information spread on social media.

I agree. Seems to me that with record gun sales virtually every month for years that the number of people with guns, and no training, would dictate more incidents of accidental or negligent discharges.

And, not to derail the thread, but training does not always stop these incidents.

I know a cop, combat veteran and Ranger, who shot himself through the hand while preparing to clean his pistol.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speculation.

Agreed, but I'd add that (more speculation) experienced shooters are about as likely to have ND's as new shooters, the difference being overconfidence ("I iz de on'y one po'feshnul 'nuf to carry dis Glock") instead of ignorance.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I know this will be somewhat controversial. but I'd bet the proliferation of manual safety-less, light trigger striker fired guns has at least something to do with it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
When more miles are driven, there are more vehicle crashes.

If more people have guns and are shooting more, there are more unintentional discharges.

But I suspect that that’s only part of the issue. I believe that per capita there were probably more UDs years ago than now. I can certainly remember more reports of accidental shooting deaths associated with hunting when I was a kid than in recent decades. There may have been more hunters then, but there weren’t the requirements for hunter safety courses either. It would be interesting to see some hard data, but those are my perceptions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Same perception here. I would guess there are several factors.

* No doubt more incidents are reported.
* More knuckleheads, dope dealers, and gangsters who violate every rule in the book, especially this one: "Don't handle a firearm when drunk or high."
* Many "accidental" shootings are anything but.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's the same as bad things in the news. Almost everyone has a cellphone with a camera and access to instantly upload it.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speculation.

I agree. Lots of new firearms owners that weren't taught by their parents growing up, and had NO firearms experience before buying a gun. Also the internet allows word to travel a lot more Nationally than it used to. Seems like a lot of people bought a gun in the last 10 years for the first time. Women for example. When I started seriously shooting, I would NEVER see a woman at the range shooting without being accompanied by a guy, now I see a lot of women shooters (by themselves) that have gotten into the hobby, which is great provided they get some sort of formal training and not the 4 hour concealed weapons class to 50 students at the gun show.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I know I may be stepping on a live wire here, but would the increase in number of light trigger weight striker fired pistols combined with relative product immunity of firearms manufacturers contribute to increased unintentional discharges?

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
I know I may be stepping on a live wire here, but would the increase in number of light trigger weight striker fired pistols combined with relative product immunity of firearms manufacturers contribute to increased unintentional discharges?

Seriously doubt that firearms manufacturers' product immunity has anything to do with it. I see no cause and effect relationship there at all.

Whether or not there are more NDs happening now than in the past is an open question. Maybe so, maybe not. It's the perception that is the issue.

As others have speculated, that perception probably exists because of changes in the way we get our information, and the volume of information that we get. We no longer rely on the morning newspaper and the ten o'clock news. Instead we get a HUGE volume of information from:
  • Social media that spreads both fact and rumor with the speed of light to more people than ever
  • A plethora of blog sites and forums, both personal and professional, that focus on guns
  • Agenda-driven hoplophobes capitalizing on the first two bullets above

Things that used to be local "news" aren't just local anymore. If somebody in Pocatello, Idaho, had an ND in 1960, it MIGHT have appeared on page 5 of the Idaho State Journal, and some subscribers to that local paper MIGHT read about it. But if that same person has an ND now, it gets reported via blogs and forums to the whole world, and instead of just dozens being made aware of it, tens of thousands are made aware of it.

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    delicately calloused
    Picture of darthfuster
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Speculation.

The number of "first time" firearm owners, fewer people were exposed to firarms growing up and the increased numbers over the past 8 years has a lot to do with it , as well as the proliferation of information spread on social media.

This why I stopped going to unsupervised ranges.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sig sailor
    posted Hide Post
    Go to any shooting range and watch way to many people with no clue about gun safety. Not putting the blame on the ranges, that is just a good place to find people with guns.
    Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My wife worked in various ERs for a long time, Oakland, Seattle etc... She's seen a lot of gun shot wounds and heard all the time that they were just cleaning their gun. She believes that was just the standard excuse for when they were either being stupid, intoxicated or covering for something else.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    Seriously, how do you think people in Florida heard about an ND in California in the 1980's? Well they didn't.

I doubt the people of yesteryear were any less negligent than the folks of today.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)
    God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post