SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Top nuclear general says he would REFUSE Trump's order to drop a bomb on North Korea if he disagreed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top nuclear general says he would REFUSE Trump's order to drop a bomb on North Korea if he disagreed Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
In the context of a presidentially ordered nuclear strike, I'm wondering what would, or could make the order illegal. Or what could make it legal for that matter.

Is there a statute book somewhere, that defines the circumstances under which the president is allowed to issue such an order? Perhaps also defining the magnitude of such a strike.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
A military action must be necessary and proportionate; an order that doesn't meet those standards COULD be illegal. There is obviously some wiggle room. A commander can order a suicide mission where no one is expected to return. This may not seem "reasonable" to the folks involved, but it can be reasonable based on military necessity.

At it's most basic, if Li'l Kim called Trump a "Tiny dicked, pumpkin faced buffoon" on Twitter, and Trump ordered "Nuke the fucker", the military would properly refuse to carry out the order.

ETA: "Rock of the Marne", Ken!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Trump has shown great deference to the military commanders for advice and analysis. Any decision to launch a nuclear attack will be made by Trump's commanders. Portraying Trump as the lone figure pushing the big red button is totally out of character as has been demonstrated by Trump.
This is fake news based upon a fake premise.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
Any decision to launch a nuclear attack will be made by Trump's commanders.

The decision will be made by the President.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Well remember the lefts country bumkin, too busy with BJ's, hero actually lost the codes - and Carter.

"At one point during the Clinton administration, the codes were actually missing. That's a big deal, a gargantuan deal," Shelton writes in the book.

There are a few other accounts of "the biscuit" going missing. ABC says that President Jimmy Carter once left it in a suit that went to the dry cleaners.

quote:
Patterson elaborated, sharing the story of when Clinton lost the codes:

"In 1998, the day before the State of the Union address, I went to meet with President Clinton. Typically, I would ask him if he had any questions about the nuclear process, any questions about targeting, any questions about how to use the codes.

But that morning I asked if he had the codes, and he said he had misplaced them and that he will get back to me later. Later ended up being never. We ended up doing an exhaustive search of the White House, never did find them. When I asked the president how long it had been since he had seen them, he couldn't recall. It had been a matter of months, possibly.

I called the Pentagon. They were beside themselves. There was no process to recreate the codes. So they ended up working through the night and giving him new codes in the morning, but we are talking about the most important military document perhaps in this nation.

Without it, he cannot perform his function as commander in chief with our nuclear program. And that had never happened in our history."

Then, he dished out some advice to the members of the mainstream media who have made this issue bigger than it needs to be:

“I don't have a high opinion of the mainstream media especially as it applies to their handling of military and national security affairs. The military shouldn't be used for partisan political purposes, period.”

http://ijr.com/2017/02/801284-...r-clinton-speaks-up/

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post