SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    La Jument Lighthouse...How was it built?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

La Jument Lighthouse...How was it built? Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Other than by aliens...how was this thing built? Mainly, how did they construct and secure the base?

I really can't find much info on the construction on this thing. My googling might be off today or something...

I know it's not always this rough, but even in calm seas to make such a sturdy structure is amazing to me.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Before man made global warming, the tide was only 2’.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

That was actually what people were saying on another site. Before the global warming set in, it was on land.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
SpaceX

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That ought to be a moment of zen.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Gorilla glue & duct tape

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When the earth was still flat they drove grabber screws from underneath. You couldn't do that today because of global sphering.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly sure they started with a coffer dam and de-water it by pumping the coffer dam out, maybe wellpointing within the confines, and work around tides. A foundation might've been built upon a rock floor or driving piles. If there was a rocky floor to the ocean and close to the ocean floor, you could probably start pouring concrete on top.

Today, I'm sure a barge would come in, drill/set caissons/pour columns. Still could have piles driven.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
La Jument Lighthouse

Read about it here.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
La Jument Lighthouse

Read about it here.

Thanks, but that doesn’t mention anything in terms of construction

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
quote:
La Jument Lighthouse

Read about it here.

Thanks, but that doesn’t mention anything in terms of construction

Coordinates
48°25′0″N 5°7′59″W
Year first constructed
Year first lit
Automated
Foundation
concrete base
Construction
stone tower
Tower shape
octagonal tower with balcony and lantern
Markings / pattern
unpainted tower, red lantern and balcony
Height
48 metres (157 ft)
Focal height
36 metres (118 ft)

Certainly not brick by brick.

I have seen any number of those style bases im the sea on/near the French coast up and down the Atlantic.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0698578/

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'd like to stay overnight in one, during rough seas.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That was actually what people were saying on another site. Before the global warming set in, it was on land.

I am pretty sure that is a famous photo that was taken in the late 1980s during a major storm, before global warming had destroyed civilization.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I'd like to stay overnight in one, during rough seas.
Not me. Looking at the photo, I'm amazed that the structure is not toppled into the sea!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
[Looking at the photo, I'm amazed that the structure is not toppled into the sea!
flashguy

Give it time. The sea wins in the end.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hydraulic cement.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I know it's CNN, but an interesting photo feature there this morning.

Linky

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
quote:

I am pretty sure that is a famous photo that was taken in the late 1980s during a major storm, before global warming had destroyed civilization. .

One of those infamous storms on the Iroise Sea happened on 21 December 1989. A front of low pressure coming from Ireland brought gale force winds and huge waves of 20 to 30 metres high which crashed spectacularly against the lighthouse.

The waves smashed through the lower windows of the lighthouse, ripped the front door, flooded the tower and washed away the furniture.

About the same time, photographer Jean Guichard was in Lorient hiring a helicopter to take aerial pictures of the storm. Guichard wanted to fly over the Iroise Sea despite extremely dangerous flying conditions.

The helicopter made it to La Jument and hovered around for Guichard to take shots of the waves pounding the lighthouse. Inside the tower, Théodore Malgorn heard the helicopter and went downstairs to see what was happening. At that very moment, a giant wave rose over the rear of the lighthouse and Guichard took his world-famous shot as the wave smashed against the tower. Théodore Malgorn, suddenly realising that a giant wave was about to engulf the structure, rushed back inside just in time to save his life. In an interview he said "If I had been a little further away from the door, I would not have made it back into the tower. And I would be dead today. You cannot play with the sea."

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post