SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who do we like for renters/auto insurance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who do we like for renters/auto insurance? Login/Join 
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted
For reasons I've yet to discover, USAA has doubled my monthly rate, ( no tickets, no accidents, etc )

I've been with them for about twenty years now.

Which insurer/s have the best rates and good customer service?

Thanks!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I had USAA for years and their customer service was top notch. However, their rates are high.

I now have Progressive who has great rates but I've never had to use their customer service.

I had State Farm before Progressive and after USAA. The independent agent provided great service but it was not cheap. That's why I have Progressive now.

I suspect it would be difficult to find those two qualities in the same company.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've had Amica for about 7 yrs and my rates have been slowly dropping...never had a claim so I can't give you any info on that end.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Find a broker and have him/her shop the best rates from A rated insurers. It varies way to much from state to state and each individuals needs for any of us to actually provide useful advice.

I use metlife because I worked for them and got discounts for having life/auto/HO.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have multi-policy from Amica. #1 rated by consumer reports and AM best and won my head to head shopping.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got a really great quote from Auto Owners. I will give them a try.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Just got a really great quote from Auto Owners. I will give them a try.

I've had Auto Owners sister company Home Owners since 2004. They have our home, two cars and two motorcycles. One nice thing with them at least on my auto policy is that they cover glass replacement 100% no deductible. Seven windshields in two cars since 2012 and no issues from them, O.E. glass used also.

Our original agency sold out to another firm. I did not like that one, so we changed to one closer to us here. When our new agency checked our policy she found a error that raised our premium by a couple hundred dollars. She contacted the home office and it was corrected, our overages were refunded. So their customer service at least to me is good.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
GEICO / Travellers

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nationwide is on my side. Definitely worth pricing out.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Erie Insurance has been treating me good for years, worth a check if they're available in your area.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been with Progressive insurance for my auto insurance and it has stayed within $10 a year of my initial year for the past 8 years I've had their auto insurance.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Been with State Farm for 20 years now. Rates were the best I have found and their service is great. Only a couple of claims and they were handled exceptionally.
Most of my dealings are adding or changing policies but my local agent is great.
I shop around once a year. It is quick and easy as everyone keeps my stuff on file.
This year another company beat State Farm in price by a few dollars a month. But I’ll keep with what I know.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I have had USAA for 20 years, rates are still good for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I use a local independent agent now and have him shop the rates.
For years I had State Farm and paid higher because of the supposed better service. Then after about twenty years of no claims I had a lightning strike and damage that hit my satellite TV dish.
State Farm was next to useless. It wasn't a lot over the deductible but I just needed their help in case the satellite provider didn't pay up (very faulty instillation but that's another story itself).

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
I have Geico for my RSX and USAA for my Yaris. Put in a claim after I hit a really pot hole in my RSX and the electrics went wonky. Great customer service. When I bought the RSX in May two years ago I shopped every insurance company I could think of and all of them were pretty much a few dollars different.

Read the comments about Amica. I got a 2008 Yaris in Dec of '17 and am paying $98/mo at USAA. The quote from Amica was $257/mo!! Both numbers include full coverage. I'll be sticking with USAA. Wink

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muddle_mann:
I have Geico for my RSX and USAA for my Yaris. Put in a claim after I hit a really pot hole in my RSX and the electrics went wonky. Great customer service. When I bought the RSX in May two years ago I shopped every insurance company I could think of and all of them were pretty much a few dollars different.

Read the comments about Amica. I got a 2008 Yaris in Dec of '17 and am paying $98/mo at USAA. The quote from Amica was $257/mo!! Both numbers include full coverage. I'll be sticking with USAA. Wink

Why would you have 2 different policies?
I can’t imagine 2 policies is cheaper than a multi car policy. It is wild how much difference in price insurance policies are from different states.
My 2016 Expedition full coverage $100 collision deductible, $0 comprehensive deductible, all medical and property payouts are raised well above state minimums is $98 a month as well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I understand both GEICO and Progressive are big contributors to Democrats and antigun groups. I've had USAA since 1961 and have had good service from them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
State Farm. They don't care what kind of dogs I have. I've had them for 12 years, home and auto combined. Never filed a claim but they are highly regarded around here locally. Maybe the agent has as much to do with things as the policy. State Farm has gone up every year. Most others do too I think.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I dropped USAA and went with Liberty Mutual when we moved from VA to NC in Oct 2015. Rates for year 2 increased substantially so I switched to State Farm. Today the Liberty Mutual agent texted me that they have "rolled out a brand new rating system for auto and home and are saving folks over $720 on average."

We shall see.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like Amica. Their customer service is phenomenal and their rates are competitive, but they aren't the lowest. As a dividend company, we get a check from them every November, it's been running around $800 per year.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post