SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question re: running coax cable in newly finished basement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question re: running coax cable in newly finished basement Login/Join 
posted
I am finishing my basement and running new coax cables. 3 of the cables (incl the one that feeds my wifi) will be buried in the joists under the sheetrock ceiling. I thought I would run those 3 cables thru a 1.5 inch PVC pipe for about 18 ft to an access point. If I ever need to replace one, I can easily feed it thru the PVC pipe.

Any problems with running 3 RG 6 coax cables that close together??

Thanks

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
You may want to reconsider using sheet rock on the ceiling. We have it in our basement and I need to access a few locations and cannot without making a big freaking mess. A nice drop ceiling is a beautiful thing if you ever need access or spring a plumbing leak.

With that said, all of our coaxial cable is bundled together for a good 10-12 feet, maybe a dozen or so cables and no issues. Run a piece of pull line with them too just in case you need to pull something later at technology changes.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second the drop ceiling. I hate drywall ceiling in a basement. The basement is about the last chance you have to change anything across a house.

I think that the coax shouldn't theoretically be able to interfere (electrically) with each other.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
No issues what so ever.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amateur Astronomer
Picture of Test1968
posted Hide Post
No problem at all. Run a pull string with the cables, leaving a couple of extra feet on string at each end. It will make life a lot easier if you need to pull more cable in the future.

Alcohol
Tobacco
Firearms

Who brought the chips and dip?

Jim

Posts: 14023 | Location: limbo | Registered: August 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks. wife hates suspended ceilings, so drywall it is. main bedroom (w/ egress window) has no pipes above it. main living area has just a couple of joints -- I guess I'm willing to take a chance on that. Second bedroom (no egress window) has a lot of pipes above it. I still may put a suspended ceiling above that "bedroom" -- or keep some spare sheetrock on hand!!

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just run good cable, Belden 9116

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
No problem running multiple coax and/or CAT5/6 together. You need to make sure you have a physical separation or adequate distance between these low-voltage cables and any AC power cables. Conduit is a great idea, as is leaving a pull line. Termination is critically important.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Run the PVC, but run the current cables OUTSIDE of it.
The conduit is for FUTURE, don't fight the current cables by filling it up already.
Run some cat5e too. No concern running RG6/Cat5e together. You can buy multi-core with them bundled together.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rover88:
No problem running multiple coax and/or CAT5/6 together. You need to make sure you have a physical separation or adequate distance between these low-voltage cables and any AC power cables. Conduit is a great idea, as is leaving a pull line. Termination is critically important.

Everything he just said. They don't carry enough current to create EMF/EMI. DO NOT run parallel to power, crossing is fine though.

Get Quad Shielded, CL2 rated, 3mhz tested RG6. It's barely more expensive than standard, but give you additional shielding from interference. You do have to use RG6-Q connectors though, the cable is slightly larger because of the additional shielding.

If you can have an electrician or cable guy terminate the ends and use COMPRESSION connectors not screw on connectors.

ETA everything snidera said too!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Nit (in the current context): UTP cable is not "coax." Coax is a single (center) conductor surrounded by a shield. UTP cable is three twisted pairs. Completely different things and obviously not interchangeable.

There wouldn't be a problem running either as you plan, or a mix of the two.

While it's best to cross power cables at right angles, common 120VAC 20A household circuits won't present much noise to UTP or coax. Stay away from fluorescent and LED fixtures, as well as motors and other things that generate strong fields.

Be cautious running the UTP. Do not stretch, twist, bend sharply or kink the cable. Coax will have a minimum bending radius, as well.

I dislike ceiling tiles, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Test1968:
No problem at all. Run a pull string with the cables, leaving a couple of extra feet on string at each end. It will make life a lot easier if you need to pull more cable in the future.

Tie off the string at each end.
Cleaning up the house just after buying it I was going crazy with the vacuum cleaner and it grabbed ahold of a string in a junction box. Frown

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Get Quad Shielded, CL2 rated, 3mhz tested RG6. It's barely more expensive than standard, but give you additional shielding from interference. You do have to use RG6-Q connectors though, the cable is slightly larger because of the additional shielding.

I tend to go overboard on design and construction, but that's over-kill even by my reckoning.

I did my own run before having cable Internet installed because the cable modem had to go in the exact opposite corner of the house from the service entry. I used Belden 7915A Duobond Plus® Shield. It's got to be about a ±125' run. Twice cable techs have been out here for installs: Once for the original install and then for the upgrade just a couple months ago. Signal in the computer room is as good in all respects (signal levels, SNR) as at the end of the cable company's drop.

Belden 7915A actually has better shielding than some quad-shields, incl. Belden's own 7916A, and you can terminate it with standard RG6 connectors. I use compression connectors and a Paladin Data Shark kit.

Have to be careful with turn radius on Belden 7915A, and excessive pulling. 7916A QS is more robust.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any problems with running 3 RG 6 coax cables that close together??

No problem.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
will you be cutting notch's? or boring holes ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Just happened to see this and remembered your thread. Might provide some basics.

https://www.familyhandyman.com...=soc-fhm-facebook/1/

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post