SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the best way to contain a shattered tempered glass panel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best way to contain a shattered tempered glass panel? Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
Yesterday while line trimming I kicked up a stone and broke the outer pane of a double tempered glass panel in a door. I have the new OEM glass assembly, which is relatively simple to replace.

What is the best way to contain the shattered glass so I remove the door and change out the panel?

I've thought about pressing cardboard with an adhesive onto it. I could also use duct tape, packing tape, blue tape, etc.

I'm probably going to get one shot at this before the panel disintegrates.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Tape or spray it down with flex seal.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

Then use it to go fishing. Wink

I'd just use wide masking tape. Even if some of it breaks and gets loose, can't you just use a shopvac on it?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Apply a full roll of duct tape, or however much needed for full coverage, front and rear. When you get it fully removed, lay it on a big piece of cardboard and gently create multiple fractures with a hammer. Then fold up inside the cardboard. Shop-vac as necessary.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I can tape out the area and use this it will save time. Home Depot has it in stock.

Thank you, MikeGLI, for taking the time to answer my question. gearhounds, I also appreciate your help.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Cover it with packing tape, then remove.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Something like this might work?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GILA-...-Window-Film/1065343

Good Luck

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I was going to use tape, but if a spray will work, I prefer that. The panel is 62"x20". I'm concerned while I'm taping one part, another part will fall apart.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since it shouldn't break into sharp pieces like regular glass, I'd just hit it carefully until it falls out into a pile and sweep it up.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grab SKS,
go innawoods
Picture of mrmoneybags
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

If I can tape out the area and use this it will save time. Home Depot has it in stock.

Thank you, MikeGLI, for taking the time to answer my question. gearhounds, I also appreciate your help.

If you go the flex-seal route and don't video & post it here, you are banned from the forum.

Posts: 1913 | Location: 42003 | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Since it shouldn't break into sharp pieces like regular glass, I'd just hit it carefully until it falls out into a pile and sweep it up.

Where the stone hit is fractured into a million small slivers, tenuously held together, similar to auto glass. I do not want any slivers in the house, or on the patio where my kids play.

I will do a few simple things to contain it, take the door off, put it on a horse, change out the panel, and put it back up.

Fortunately the glass panel has an integrated gasket, so it does not require an adhesive. It is held onto the door by two trim panels and 18 screws.

I was grateful the door shop of a local independent lumber company stocked it. They told me the local glass shops buy the OEM panels from them.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Wide masking tape is the normal tool.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you go the flex-seal route and don't video & post it here, you are banned from the forum.

+1

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't wear flip flop. That's my contribution.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
It's all done, except for painting the trim, which will happen tomorrow. I went the flex seal route. It worked well. Although the panel broke into pieces after I put it on the horse, it was outside, in pieces, not slivers.

I did not record this. How does one record while working with two hands?

This is actually the second time that glass was replaced, including the first time when someone shot at our glass with a pellet gun.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Significant other. Was hoping to see the FLEX Seal in action.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Significant other. Was hoping to see the FLEX Seal in action.

There were a lot of fumes. I was the one wearing a respirator. Ten minutes later, you could smell the fumes 30 feet away.

It went on like thick spray paint. One is supposed to wait 1-2 days for it to fully cure. I waited until it was no longer tacky. Had I waited, it probably would have worked even better.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not record this.

banned

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
From a fair amount of experience. You will either have a single panel our a double panel of tempered glass. Or you could have a laminated piece of tempered glass.

If you have a single panel our a double panel then do this:

1. Lay a single drop cloth below the window to catch the glass fragments.
2. Reverse your hammer and knock against the broken panel until it all falls out of the frame.
3. Remove the drop cloth and dump the glass.
4. Sweep or shop vac any remaining glass pieces.

If you cover the panel and use tape on the edges to hold it in place, the broken glass will fall away anyway.

If you try to tape over the broken panel it will be a wasted effort because it will probably crumble as you try to apply the tape. If you are successful covering the panel with tape, it will fold and drop glass as you try to remove it.

So, cut out the middle wasted effort and just break it out.

If you have a piece of laminated tempered glass, then the lamination material will hold the glass in place, so just remove the panel.

Wear eye protection, because the tempered pieces will ususally send a few fragments when moved.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post