SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ducati held a test at Jerez Spain and something VERY interesting happened
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ducati held a test at Jerez Spain and something VERY interesting happened Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
It isn’t much of a secret that street bikes have gotten VERY fast over the years. A few days ago Ducati held a test in Jerez Spain. This was a preseason test as Ducati prepares for the 2021 MotoGP season.

Preseason tests rarely function as marketing opportunities, but when the world’s best throw a leg over a Ducati Panigale V4S, it’s the perfect showcase. Jack Miller, Pecco Bagnaia, Johann Zarco, Jorge Martin, Enea Bastianini, and Luca Marina each rode the road-legal V4S during the two-day test. The best lap time achieved by the Panigale was 1:43.3. That’s even more impressive when compared to the 1:41.1 lap time recorded by Ducati’s MotoGP GP21 bike.

Considering the cost to own, maintain and service a prototype racing motorcycle it is shocking how the street legal V4 Panigale seems to be inching closer to the GP bike. I didn’t expect a $28,695 motorcycle to be only 2 seconds behind an extremely expensive prototype racing motorcycle. Yeah sure that’s a lot of money for a motorcycle but I’d argue it’s a small price to pay for the performance you get.

A few years ago at Mugello the Panigale was something like 15 seconds off GP lap times. That was without a professional rider though. Now that pro riders have ridden both bikes on the same track the actual gap between the two machines is much more clear....and MUCH closer than I would ever have expected.

Link to article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pure sex on wheels.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful bike.
I'll admit that I lust after the Streetfighter but I'm sure I'll never own one. Wouldn't make much sense here in flat Ohio.
About 12 years ago when I lived in Salt Lake City, I had Kawasaki Z1000 and loved it. I had canyons to ride in so it made sense. I sold it when I moved back to Ohio.
Ducatis are high end bikes meant to be raced and pushed.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Now that is impressive! I bought a Ducati Diavel last summer. I have a lot of respect for Ducati engineering. It’s the most fun I’ve ever had on a motorcycle. Amazing performance and drop dead gorgeous.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That is one SEXY Bike! I always lusted after a Ducati....LOVE that sexy mechanical Desmodromic Valve Train w/ the Dry Clutch rattle! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Although the split was tighter than I would expect, it's not as shocking as it appears. Street legal sport bikes have always been the basis for race bikes (sometimes vice versa) and commercially available bikes are capable of some pretty insane performance with relatively few enhancements.

My last sport bike, a 2000 ZX-7R had many features found on race bikes such as a factory slipper clutch and a rider geometry that very close to track bikes. With open exhaust, proper tires and keeping the motor at the right RPM's, I recall surprising quite a few competent liter bike owners in the twisties by staying right with them until the straigtaways let them make use of their much better power to weight ratio.

Ducati's have always been serious performance bikes right out of the box in a lot of areas. The low end grunt really makes a difference in less than straight roads.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Kawasaki fans (especially fans Jonathan Rea) have been claiming for a while now that WSBK or 1000cc super bikes based off of production motorcycles are not that far off from the speed of MotoGP bikes.

In Ducati’s case they built the Panigale two purposes, #1 to take the WSBK crown & #2 to build a truly mental and beautiful racing motorcycle that you can ride on the street. They built a truly iconic masterpiece. While it has seen some racing success it has been a spectacular sales success for Ducati. Time will tell if Suzuki can capitalize off of winning its first GP championship in 20 years and whether that will translate into any increase in moto sales.

The speed at which MotoGP tech is finding its way onto street bikes right now is just wonderful. Suzuki wasted no time tossing its brilliant mechanical VVT system from its Grand Prix GSX-RR onto its street legal GSX-R1000. We are right now living in the golden age of fast motorcycles. These bikes are providing million dollar supercar performance for in some cases the cost of a sub compact econoshitbox car.

Eventually the cars will catch up but for right now this is a golden age for those who adore fast motorcycles. I am absolutely LOVING it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
It looks like a cardinal.

Considering the price of a Harley, I'd surely rather have something like this for the money. Of course, I'd immediately kill myself on it.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It does look a little like a bird perched on a branch. Especially with that tail angled up as it is. That isn’t a bad thing this motorcycle definitely flies.

I loved the 999 and it’s successor and the Panigale is only improving upon what I consider to be one hell of an incredible act to follow. Yes the Ducati is expensive but you are paying for a racing motorcycle for the street so it’s going to be expensive no matter what. The choice to abandon the 90° twin in favor of a V4 was a very good decision. Personally, I’ll always have a 90° twin in the garage if possible but the addition of two cylinders has made the Panigale one hell of a contender.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~