SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you turned on your furnace yet?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you turned on your furnace yet? Login/Join 
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It was low 40s outside yesterday morning when I got home from work. It was 62 inside. I wasn’t planning on turning the furnace on but then one of my cats sneezed so I turned on and set it for 65.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Yes. We keep the house cooler so when it started staying under 65 it was time. I don’t like cold weather but I have been looking forward to trying out the new furnace to make sure it works properly. This is the worst time of year for controlling humidity inside.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
nope. i'm enjoying the period when the a/c won't kick in and i don't need the heater yet.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Friday night... it got cold here.
Almost as cold as the Cardinals bats...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
The last few weeks it's been between 28 and 38 degrees in the morning, but warms up to upper 50s-low 60s during the day. The wood stove is our primary source of heat, but it would be way too much for now, so the baseboard electric heat is enough to take the chill off in the morning & evenings.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not yet, probably won't be until January or so. Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I keep my home at 70°F all year long. Usually during the summer months that means the system is set to "cool". However, the past few days have seen the temperature indoors fall below my comfort point and I've had to temporarily reset the system to "heat". So yes, I've "turned on my furnace" in a manner of speaking.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in Texas our natural furnace of hot sun and muggy weather usually stays on well into September, sometimes into late October. I usually don't turn on the heat until mid November.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3531 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
wood stove here, has been fired periodically over past several weeks, with short heat soft wood or kindling...
moving to a few hard wood pieces now with a longer fire than 'just early AM' and 'just evening'.

Temps lower 30s to lower 40s= a little fire;
mid day temps upper 50s-lower 60s: no fire;

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes in the mornings this past week, it's gotten pretty chilly and the house will get down to 60 degrees or so overnight.

What's crazy is that the week prior to that it was like 95 degrees out and we had the AC on.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
45 degrees this morning, the coldest so far this year. The Quadrafire warmed things up just fine. We use the gas furnace very little since I'm retired and can build a fire just about any time it's needed.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Furnace? I don’t need no stinking furnace!

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
NO, but if it's any consolation the Nest report says the AC ran 25 hours less last month....

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My new system turned the furnaces on for me a few days ago.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We heat with wood and solar. Furnace hasn't been turned on except to check for function in about 8 years.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Furnace? I don’t need no stinking furnace!

All we need right now is a umbrella

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Just this week.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe next month. Its still 80's outside, and I still sleep with a fan on at night.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Yep, 2 days ago. When my feet are cold and my wife hides the blankets, I complain bitterly. Since I pay the gas and electric, she just turned it on. I'm old and can afford the minor charges.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Wood stove in the basement has been going for three weeks now. Once we start a constant night/day freeze(anything 32 degrees and lower), then I will turn on the furnace. Wood will keep going the entire winter, but the furnace is used for the main floor when it is colder. Thermostat is set at 65.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post